What Music?

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
^ Glad it appeals. The Man is Australian writer and blues rock aficionado - Don Walker. Catfish was the band he headed in the late 80s.
To appreciate his cultural impact, check out Cold Chisel. Don was the founder and key lyricist for that 46 year old behemoth.

This song was voted most popular song in Australia. Don wrote it. It's about a Vietnam Veteran who struggles to settle back in the lucky country and it's lazy ways after the war experience.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Don Henley has nothing on these guys.

Cold Chisel
The singer is Jim Barnes - from my town. Immensely successful after Chisel broke up in 1983.
Don is the keyboardist and lyricist.
Check out more of Cold Chisel for the sublimity of guitarist Ian Moss.
The rhythm section is also a standout. A perfect storm, Cold Chisel.

eg Chisel live in Sydney in 1980.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
so why never a well known band in the UK?
That is one of Oz rock's everlasting questions. There have been books written about the global conquest that never was. INXS made it, Midnight Oil had their impact, but Cold Chisel were never understood o/s. There is no more legendary band on our island, and I'm a little bit glad about that, but they deserved more than they achieved in international terms.

I put it down to burnout at exactly the wrong time. The boys had been busting their arses across the continent since 1974, hit the national bigtime in 1980, then traveled abroad, only to wind up wasted, misunderstood and hatin' on the RCO reps. Even wrote a song about it.
This one's for el supremo fuckwit, Marty Schwartz (LA 1981).

Last edited:

dr wu

Doctor Prog

Backwater We're sailing at the edges of time Backwater We're drifting at the waterline
Oh we're floating in the coastal waters You and me and the porter's daughters
Ooh what to do not a sausage to do And the shorter of the porter's daughters Dips her hand in the deadly waters Ooh what to do in a tiny canoe Black water There were six of us but now we are five We're all talking To keep the conversation alive
There was a senator from Ecuador Who talked about a meteor That crashed on a hill in the south of Peru And was found by a conquistador Who took it to the emperor And he passed it on to a Turkish guru
His daughter Was slated for becoming divine He taught her He taught her how to split and define
But if you study the logistics And heuristics of the mystics You will find that their minds rarely move in a line
So it's much more realistic To abandon such ballistics And resign to be trapped on a leaf in the vine
Backwater We're sailing at the edges of time Backwater We're drifting at the waterline
Oh we're floating in the coastal waters You and me and the porter's daughters Ooh what to do not a sausage to do
And the shorter of the porter's daughters Dips her hand in the deadly waters Ooh what to do in a tiny canoe

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
That seems to be as track that surprisingly didn't make it onto A Thousand Lights in a Darkened Room album, may or may not have been added on a later remaster.
Never came across them before! Let's see what your next suggestion brings up...

(Listens...}OK... that's arguably somewhat unique as well?

Did anyone else notice that the accompanying video image is, intentionally, offering alternative visual perceptions...