What Music?

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
Muslim women metal rock out with your cock out metal time Monday :badge:

fuck knows what's going on with this one though?

Both of those are pretty good, although I'm more qualified to assess the Metal one than the "Trance-y" one both could do with upping the eccentricity levels. In fairness though , that's my reaction to most music.

Rahere

Junior Acolyte
You folks have had a biggish go thanks to Queen. And yes, coming from Alleyns School, therefore with practical Stage Management experience behind me, I was their host stage manager at Loughborough Uni the weekend Bohemian Rap hit. Alleyns is the brother school to Dulwich College, birthplace of Genesis, and we launched Kraftwerk and Mike Oldfield before my wings got clipped when the A&R teams decided concept rock was too expensive and they'd prefer to rip punk and hip-hop off instead.
And yes, Fairport is still standing. I went past it yesterday. It's a thoroughly middle-class detached house on Fortis Green Road, where the band got together in the garage. Come to think of it, I had the same experience with The Police in Blackheath, at the top end of Mycenae Road (Jules Holland moved into the bottom end some years later), when under Church Warden arrest headed towards to next-door house, home of the Church Army Principal, who'd decided to make me put my money where my mouth had been the previous Sunday. I did so, the passive aggressive way: I cleaned the channels, dropped into meditation and made myself small while the Spirit blind-read a text he'd hidden and not mentioned.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
You folks have had a biggish go thanks to Queen. And yes, coming from Alleyns School, therefore with practical Stage Management experience behind me, I was their host stage manager at Loughborough Uni the weekend Bohemian Rap hit.
That's a formidable minor claim-to-fame.

Impressions of the band? Character-wise?

Rahere

Junior Acolyte
They were ready to roll - I've never seen a gig set up so fast. Four big pantechnicons, simply rolled the pallets in the back onto the stage, unfolded, they were set up in under an hour and out in half. As far as the band was concerned, we left them to it: why mess with a top act? It might upset them. They worked furiously hard, and generated the electricity the hard way. I did the same a couple of years back, David Byrne's Atomic Bomb! gig, I led the house choir in the blow-off, because I knew the genres, electrosynth and highlife, West African folk from the 1940s. The difference is visible: I'm on last in the choir, with my Reiki switched on, and instantly the usual half-dozen dancers turns into the entire ruddy audience. I knew what I was doing, I don't tap myself, but the wider Spirit, and simply flooded the place with feel-good. And caught the unscripted go-around at the end, we were simply travelling too fast to stop, I don't know what the bands had rehearsed, the Choir hadn't done a thing, so I was left guessing - and got it right. That's what knowing the genre is all about. And it turned William Onyeabor's stetson into a funk icon.
There was a downside for me: I discovered why he gave up music, as a result. It's the negative vibes from the Administrators. The people who want to take you for everything you can give, and more. I've just walked away too. These are people whose souls are dead, who only want the fame others should have. Those who can, perform. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. And everyone else thinks how witty they are, shredding other peoples souls. This, I think, may be what creates hauntings.

Last edited:

Rahere

Junior Acolyte
From watching them backstage, Brian May was Brian May - his closest psychotype is Jeremy Clarkson. Knowledgeable, experienced, he typified the professional, who simply cannot get it wrong. Freddie, by comparison, was aetherial. Far more easily fatigued, as a result (and you have to remember even Brian was on the edge). I saw no sign of drugs, just copious amounts of water chugged. Roger Taylor and John Deacon were by comparison normal psychotypes for any other pro performer of the day (and we got to see them all, because Nick Phillips was Prof of Laser Technology there, and so rigged their lights - they had to test them live to check they'd got it).
That's sort of my hyperserendipity cutting in, it never crossed my head when taking on a Management course there, that I'd get so ticked off with dry theory as to want to do the only management job in town. Well, I had been running a Cadet Force Battalion before that.
I think the greatest thing was to see the way to run a gig in action, most clearly. Grab the audience with your first two songs, fill the gap as best you may, finish the first half with something leaving them signed up enough firstly to want to come back, and secondly to buy merchandise, and then something to reaffirm that loyalty, some more filling, a false peak at antepenultimate, something lesser for the penultimate, and then go for the kill in the blow-off. Sometimes these days that's kept for the encore, admittedly.

Rahere

Junior Acolyte
Part of it's the way the power flows between performer and audience. With 500 in the hall (and 10000 outside) I was actually more concerned with security, getting them away afterwards. That was the fastest I've ever seen - no wind-down in the dressing room afterwards, they dropped their instruments and ran. Two steps in a flight of ten, down a short corridor and into their car. Gone before anyone noticed. But the power went from the stage to the audience. Watching other groups which came from the Choir David Roblou and I saved, (Florence Welch, Jo Goldsmith - Swingles, Ed Simons - Chemical Brothers), there's a kind of spiritual conversation going on, the audience needs some welcoming in before returning it with knobs on. That was at Alleyns, where we were building the NYT movement. I was already powering up (for example, my first act in that CCF Battalion was to find uniforms which fitted, in a heap of battledress upwards of 2 meters high. So I might as well sort the lot, completed it, at the bottom was a box which obviously hadn't been opened in 20 years and more. WWI uniforms. So, not having any place for them, I returned upstairs to the Admin Major's office, to find him on the phone. "No, Dickie, I don't think we have any WWI uniforms..." I flag him to hold on, "Oh, it seems we do." And so Joan Littlewood's nose was put out of joint, because Dickie Attenborough had the uniforms he needed for the film. Oh! What A Lovely War...
Much the same was true of The Last Emperor. I was Cadbury Schweppes' Chief Treasury Dealer at the time, the phone went just after lunch, Cadbury had just heard form Woolies, they were settling their month's invoices that afternoon. £12 million. Blast! The markets were about to close. Phone went again. A certain bank was looking for £12 million, they'd just signed to support this film, tell you about it later. So, a while further on down the track, there's a thank-you, preview tickets at BAFTA. I'm duly on parade, heartily impressed, the guy in front turns around, Bertolucci, what did I think? I'm not the sort to be fawning, because I've mild Aspergers in the mix. So I did think, and compared, and concluded 8 Oscars. It made 9. So, I'm not perfect. What did stand out is that it wasn't part of the herd of US genre films of the time, the early chickflicks and the aftermath of the Stallone era. It's that kind of thing which creates the zeitgeist we study. The contrast is in the way we look ahead: do we plunge in with both feet and learn from inexperience, or do we use experience to target precisely?
There's an old student tale about two bulls in the top field. The younger one stops tearing grass up, and comments, "Lookee, Fred, Farmer's let the girls into the field. Let's run down and have us one." The older keeps browsing. "Come on Fred." "No, youngster, you don't have it at all. We walk down nicely, establishing command, and have the lot."

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
First track on the 1968(!) album An Electric Storm by White Noise (David Vorhaus, Delia Derbyshire and Brian Hodgson)

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
They were ready to roll - I've never seen a gig set up so fast. Four big pantechnicons, simply rolled the pallets in the back onto the stage, unfolded, they were set up in under an hour and out in half. As far as the band was concerned, we left them to it: why mess with a top act? It might upset them. They worked furiously hard, and generated the electricity the hard way. I did the same a couple of years back, David Byrne's Atomic Bomb! gig, I led the house choir in the blow-off, because I knew the genres, electrosynth and highlife, West African folk from the 1940s. The difference is visible: I'm on last in the choir, with my Reiki switched on, and instantly the usual half-dozen dancers turns into the entire ruddy audience. I knew what I was doing, I don't tap myself, but the wider Spirit, and simply flooded the place with feel-good. And caught the unscripted go-around at the end, we were simply travelling too fast to stop, I don't know what the bands had rehearsed, the Choir hadn't done a thing, so I was left guessing - and got it right. That's what knowing the genre is all about. And it turned William Onyeabor's stetson into a funk icon.
There was a downside for me: I discovered why he gave up music, as a result. It's the negative vibes from the Administrators. The people who want to take you for everything you can give, and more. I've just walked away too. These are people whose souls are dead, who only want the fame others should have. Those who can, perform. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. And everyone else thinks how witty they are, shredding other peoples souls. This, I think, may be what creates hauntings.
You should see Rammstein stage shows lots of fire and pyro and I love to know how long to take to setup gig like that if you heard of Rammstein that is.

Last edited:

Rahere

Junior Acolyte
Mostly that kid is modular - look up any demolitions video, it rarely takes more than a day to rig the most enormous blows. You don't want to risk longer, lest it rain, and in any case, the security perimeter becomes a headache, lest Joes Dosser sets up camp in this nice, warm, empty building. I was trained in that aged 15.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Mostly that kid is modular - look up any demolitions video, it rarely takes more than a day to rig the most enormous blows. You don't want to risk longer, lest it rain, and in any case, the security perimeter becomes a headache, lest Joes Dosser sets up camp in this nice, warm, empty building. I was trained in that aged 15.
This is what I'm talking about.

Vardoger

Bring the Beat Back!
Listening to Donald Fagen's album The Nightfly. Supposedly autobiographical about his life in the suburb Kendall Park in New Jersey as a kid and teenager. Suburb of which city I'm not sure, but perhaps New York. Probably smoothest jazzpop album ever released between the North Pole and South Pole.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Listening to Donald Fagen's album The Nightfly. Supposedly autobiographical about his life in the suburb Kendall Park in New Jersey as a kid and teenager. Suburb of which city I'm not sure, but perhaps New York. Probably smoothest jazzpop album ever released between the North Pole and South Pole.

Brilliant album - "Yes, we're gonna have a wingding!"

Vardoger

Bring the Beat Back!
This is a voice in the top division, perhaps one of the best female live singers. Don't underestimate her because she makes dance music.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
You folks have had a biggish go thanks to Queen. And yes, coming from Alleyns School, therefore with practical Stage Management experience behind me, I was their host stage manager at Loughborough Uni the weekend Bohemian Rap hit. Alleyns is the brother school to Dulwich College, birthplace of Genesis, and we launched Kraftwerk and Mike Oldfield before my wings got clipped when the A&R teams decided concept rock was too expensive...
What a fascinating collection of tales.

Indeed, deserving of...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I like Rick Beato. He tells me things that I don't know (and sometimes don't understand) about rock music, writing and production. Here's a rambling discussion over which rock band is the most influential of all time. They start--persuasively--with The Yardbirds.