What Music?

skinny

Class of 1984
Just watched Sam Dunn's (BANGER TV) top ten metal albums of the decade as voted by their quarter million odd subscribers. This didn't make the ten but both he and Blayne had it in their own personal best three. Superb.

skinny

Class of 1984
What's ethnic about that? ^
Sorry Vardoger. I despise eurovision crap.

Here's yoik. I don't think it's Sámi, but it's ethnic Finn. Imagine youé out camping by a fire in the wlderness and this starts up from the ridge across the way. Like some animist godess reaching out and claiming your soul.

heisenbear

Devoted Cultist
My best mate pulled this out of his collection of roughly 2000 albums and said- "you'll like this".
I can't think why.........

Watching the Argentinian movie, El Angel, the other night I was surprised to hear the slightly random but rather inspired choice of some Moondog on the soundtrack. I’ve been listening all weekend since.

Prepare to enter a world which has always seemed to me like a kind of aural version of Edward Gorey, mixed with orchestrally rearranged themes to half remembered children’s shows from a mythical past written by actual magicians in order to lure adult children to happier places

I’d quite like this one at my funeral:

And, I reckon if you sit in your underpants and a crown made of birch bark in a darkened room and drinking good malt whisky from an earthen pot while listening to this on a loop, then you’ll turn into Odin - or something. The awesome:

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Watching the Argentinian movie, El Angel, the other night I was surprised to hear the slightly random but rather inspired choice of some Moondog on the soundtrack. I’ve been listening all weekend since.

Prepare to enter a world which has always seemed to me like a kind of aural version of Edward Gorey, mixed with orchestrally rearranged themes to half remembered children’s shows from a mythical past written by actual magicians in order to lure adult children to happier places

I’d quite like this one at my funeral:

And, I reckon if you sit in your underpants and a crown made of birch bark in a darkened room and drinking good malt whisky from an earthen pot while listening to this on a loop, then you’ll turn into Odin - or something. The awesome:

Coincidence: half an hour ago I was reading Debbie Harry's autobiography, and she mentions often meeting Moondog on the streets of New York City.

Vardoger

How Much Is The Fish?
I will post another Scandinavian ethno pop song from ESC, since Skinny is so fond of Eurovision.

This one's from Sweden. It didn't go to the European final.

Coincidence: half an hour ago I was reading Debbie Harry's autobiography, and she mentions often meeting Moondog on the streets of New York City.
He probably heard her coming. Blind since his teens, Moondog (aka Louis Thomas Hardin - which sounds a bit like a gunfighter) could apparently recognise people by the sound of their footsteps.

There's been a documentary in the works for a few years - but still looking for funding and not yet off the ground I think:

An really very interesting and influential character who deserves to be better known.

I think Jeff Bridges would make a great Moondog; the Dude and Moondog would get along mightily, I'm sure.

That's weird. I was thinking about that track yesterday - wondering if I still have the single in my box of unsorted vinyl up in the loft.

Kind of unique.

And, in the way that music is a form of instant time travel, I remember another album that was never off the turntable around the same time as I was wearing out the Associates single. I must have made a mix tape, because as soon as Party Fears Two starts to fade out I expect to hear this didge kick in:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Like hearing this on the radio, so checked out the video, and yikes! That's a lot of f bombs!

...Here's yoik. I don't think it's Sámi, but it's ethnic Finn. Imagine youé out camping by a fire in the wlderness and this starts up from the ridge across the way. Like some animist godess reaching out and claiming your soul...
Awesome stuff. Which has just sent me down a bit of a Finnish rabbithole.

I'm pretty sure that I've posted this before, but maybe not. From Paavoharju - a bunch of Finnish ascetic Christians. You need to give this one a bit of time - I think it's utterly haunting:

Or maybe try a pretty cool remix on for size:

This one will be probably too much for many, or maybe too little - but I drop it as much for the very simple, but really quite disconcerting video (I keep wondering if someone's popped something in my Laphroaig...or if it's just the Laphroaig!):

And...I have no idea whatsoever how I got here from there, but I'm really glad I did. I haven't got a bastard clue what he's on about, but I'm enjoying him going on about it: