What Music?

Tapeloop

Devoted Cultist
I've got some Sabres of Paradise and Sabresonic on CD somewhere
Haunted Dancehall is such a good album, the last three tracks in particular really throb. Andy Weatherall made it okay to think you could make a good record if you just had a sampler and a couple of keyboards.

Very sorry to hear he was someone you knew. Much too young to pass.

Such an influential character though. It's easy to forget how kind of tribal music was pre-1990, 'indie kids' didn't really do dance music back then, but things like Loaded and Screamadelica and all his amazing remixes really broke down those barriers. I've got another awesome compilation he did that introduced me to the wonders of post-punk and bands like A Certain Ratio and 23 Skidoo. What a legend.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Haunted Dancehall is such a good album, the last three tracks in particular really throb. Andy Weatherall made it okay to think you could make a good record if you just had a sampler and a couple of keyboards.

Very sorry to hear he was someone you knew. Much too young to pass.

Such an influential character though. It's easy to forget how kind of tribal music was pre-1990, 'indie kids' didn't really do dance music back then, but things like Loaded and Screamadelica and all his amazing remixes really broke down those barriers. I've got another awesome compilation he did that introduced me to the wonders of post-punk and bands like A Certain Ratio and 23 Skidoo. What a legend.
Yeah, I was at school with Andy. We did A level art together.
Interesting coincidence that unfolded over a loooong time...
We were all in the art room, teacher was elsewhere. We were messing about. Andy had brought in his tape recorder. Some of the lads started beating out a tune on some boxes and one or two were twanging elastic bands. Andy started recording. The weird beat we knocked out came to a crescendo and I did a classic Wilhelm scream. Andy turned off the tape recorder.
"That was bloody fantastic - especially that last bit - that scream was genius"
"Thanks!" I said.
Then I said, "Let's start a band. We could call ourselves the Primal Screamers!"
"Great choice of name..."
But the band never happened after that. We all went our separate ways after school.

Until Andy was approached by a band called Primal Scream to have a go at remixing their album, many years later.

Tapeloop

Devoted Cultist
Until Andy was approached by a band called Primal Scream to have a go at remixing their album, many years later
I was a huge fan of Primal Scream in the period just before Andy Weatherall got involved. Used to go and see them a lot when they were in their MC5 phase of being skinny, wasted rockers. I was especially a big fan of the song that got remixed to make Loaded, so I was a bit taken aback when I heard it to begin with. "It's a bit funky and it's got bongos rather than wailing guitar solos" :)

Of course looking back now Loaded was a landmark record whereas their self titled LP that came before is best forgotten.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Tonight I have been listening to Disc Dance Of The Globbots by Joe Meek 'cos it makes me smile. Two things, if the Clangers were Greek this is what they would sound like. Also, how can it not make you smile? :

Haunted Dancehall is such a good album, the last three tracks in particular really throb. Andy Weatherall made it okay to think you could make a good record if you just had a sampler and a couple of keyboards...
To my mind, Haunted Dancehall is a unique work - even within Weatherall's own portfolio, I'd say. That's the kind of thing you only really get when someone has reached a position that they can create exactly what they want, rather than chase the market.

Reminds me of a couple of posts I made over ten years ago:

…The Aloof's second album Sinking which is corking. The Aloof were one of my favourite bands of the 90's and massively underrated. Actually that's wrong, not underrated - I suppose what I really mean is underknown. Epic, cinematic, dance music for seriously moody feckers. My tastes in music are very varied but I went through a phase of having nothing on the portable mini-disc but Underworld, The Aloof and The Sabres of Paradise - think it split my brain into several pieces but it was awesome and it made me feel like I was walking around in some fantastic and completely plotless movie…

…I meant to mention Burial in my last post because I think there's a connection between the kind of music made by The Sabres of Paradise and some of the creators of Dubstep - not so much in the actual music, although I think there might be something there too, but in the cinematic, disjointed and slightly unnerving and eerie urban landscape that they seem to invoke.
So, while I'm reminded of them:

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
I think I've heard of the Sabres of Paradise but don't think I've ever knowingly heard them until now. That said the name "Andy Weatherall" is tantalisingly familiar, maybe from his remix work.