What Music?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Or I can improve the situation massively.
First heard that record at a friend's house. His parents had gone away for the weekend and we were exploring his father's music collection. The other ones that stick in my mind were Deep Purple's Burn and Paranoid by Black Sabbath.

If I recall, the accompaniment was home-made space cakes, tabs of alien head acid and Thai grass rolled in lovely long Highland Skins.

Good weekend.

Good summer!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Surprising you can recall anything at all from that weekend.
Best summer of my life, on balance.

Sandwiched between two other great ones.

Made lifelong friends, fell in love for the first time, saw some fantastic bands and sailed very close to the wind without capsizing.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
How Hawkwind invented punk.

The band I've seen most in my life is the Go-Betweens and its various solo spin-offs, but next in line (I think) come the Fall, the Psychedelic Furs and Hawkwind, which is a pretty diverse line-up; I've seen Hawkwind at UEA, Norwich, the Bath Pavilion, Academy Bristol among other venues, and back in the day I saw Nik Turner's Inner City Unit supporting Spirit at Bristol's Colston Hall. Happy days...

I've got an orgone accumulator
And it makes me feel greater
I'll see you sometime later
When I'm through with my accumulator

Pretty Fortean too, with the completely bonkers/massively misunderstood Wilhelm Reich also the subject of Kate Bush's Cloudbusting.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I went down the You Tube rabbit hole and found this musical collective. I'm not saying that is has influenced me, but I am currently covered in woad, wearing animal skins waiting to dance under the moonlight.
This took me back to my youth when all things occult fascinated me and I spent hours poring over the runes of the Elder Futhark. My rune stones are sitting in a velvet bag somewhere, I must find them and become reacquaintEd.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Pretty sure I must have Viking DNA too.
In the last few years we have holidayed in Norway, including a winter cruise around the Norwegian coastline On a very small postal ship. I must admit the sights struck me in some weird primordial way and I felt very much at home in what is a fairly inhospitable winter environment.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have some rune stones from years and years ago, also in a velvet bag. They are hung up on my bookshelf.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
A call back to the previous mention of Hawkwind.
I saw them in Hemel Hempstead (when there was still a venue for such things) back in about 1988.
There were a number of people in the crowd that were engaging in, lets say, "Cirque du Soleil " type stuff, but close-up acts.
I distinctly recall one guy concealing a 6 inch long steel nail up his.........nostril. Definitely his nostril.
I dunno though, they could've been employed to freak people out a bit, or were just audience members.

"Assault and Battery" is one of my favourite Hawkwind tracks.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A call back to the previous mention of Hawkwind.
I saw them in Hemel Hempstead (when there was still a venue for such things) back in about 1988.
There were a number of people in the crowd that were engaging in, lets say, "Cirque du Soleil " type stuff, but close-up acts.
I distinctly recall one guy concealing a 6 inch long steel nail up his.........nostril. Definitely his nostril.
I dunno though, they could've been employed to freak people out a bit, or were just audience members.

"Assault and Battery" is one of my favourite Hawkwind tracks.

Me too!

Last time I saw them was way back in 2001 at Aldershot Princes Hall.

They started the concert with this song.

Talk about peaking too soon!

Great gig though.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Seen the Beasties twice .. first time as a teenager after my Dad belted me for pestering my Mum for a lift to Brixton Academy (I was sat on the toilet when he belted me), RUN DMC supporting and the second time when a company called Event Staff sent us over as security when I was a young adult. We were worried about being late for work so we marched through the middle of the NEC arena through some blokes who were playing basket ball .. they shouted and swore at us, we shouted and swore back at them, they started laughing and afterwards we were told we'd disturbed The Beastie Boys playing basket ball .. true story and a good gig .. I still own my Beastie Boys crew T-Shirt.

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Talking of guitar effects pedals, reminded of a recent video, showing subtle mastery of same.

I still get the shivers every time I hear this young lady - in fact anything Courtney sings.

Beautiful song, knock-out vocals and interpretation, guitarist and keyboard players just so get it as well and absolutely nail this.

Swifty

Reaction score
My best mate from school days is currently one of the guitarists in this band and has cut this new video .. he's just told me he dropped the Evil Dead Ash shot in just for me but he's always full of shit .. but I still love him ..

My Brother The Wolf ... although his Strepsils budget for his lead singer must be off the chart ..

Swifty

Reaction score

.. because the next generation couple of doves who have chosen to nest behind our satellite dish again .. and frankly, she can't build nests. He brings her twigs, puts them in her beak, she instantly tosses them to the ground and on and on and he keeps going .. I want to put a bit of tie wrapped balsa wood up there to give them both a hand (wearing rubber gloves so my human scent doesn't put them off but I can't source a tall enough ladder at the moment) .. so their eggs are clearly going to splat to the ground ..

.. my back yard satellite dish a few years ago .. back when doves knew the score ..

Last edited: