What Music?

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

I've never been a huge believer that the guitar is god apart from Copper Blue and Alex Lifeson. I'm enjoying this though as the Spanish guitar is clearly evident in Rush albums. Always thought Alex Lifeson was criminally underrated.

XBergMann

Fear not, I mean no harm to your planet
Reaction score
This is rather pleasant it's in Swedish but some nice YouTuber and posted this video with translation to English.

Mando Diao are a Swedish to rock band I rather like and here they have set a classic Swedish poem to music. This is called Strövtåg i Hembygden.

A beautiful performance especially from the singer.

Stillill

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
My favourite song ever. Say what you like about Morrissey but his Smiths lyrics are up there with the best.

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Reaction score
The British Wagner of electropop has joined forces with the French Tchiakovsky of electropop - and it seems overdue.

Numan has always worked best in collaboration and Michel -Jarres instrumentation needs the human touch of vocals to complete it. This has a pleasingly retro feel to it - as though working together somehow made them regress to their former selves. It is also quite touching - not something you would say of much of their individual work.

Alas, as far as I know, this is a one off. I wish they would make an album. If they did I would be first in the queue to grab a copy.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Obviously a labour of love, someone has put together some 2.5 hours of sublime Manuel Göttsching (Ash Ra Tempel) guitar magic, ranging from slowly building dreamscapes to Hendrix style heavy riffing.
It's all accompanied by some beautiful and trippy visuals.
One to play on a big-screen TV, with the sound UP!
The start of "Friendship" around 12:35 always sends shivers down my spine.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
The British Wagner of electropop has joined forces with the French Tchiakovsky of electropop - and it seems overdue.

Numan has always worked best in collaboration and Michel -Jarres instrumentation needs the human touch of vocals to complete it. This has a pleasingly retro feel to it - as though working together somehow made them regress to their former selves. It is also quite touching - not something you would say of much of their individual work.

Alas, as far as I know, this is a one off. I wish they would make an album. If they did I would be first in the queue to grab a copy.

This is from a 2016 album, Electronica 2. Both it and Electronica 1 consist of Jarre performing songs with other artists. Including Laurie Anderson, John Carpenter and the Pet Shop Boys.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

I've never been a huge believer that the guitar is god apart from Copper Blue and Alex Lifeson. I'm enjoying this though as the Spanish guitar is clearly evident in Rush albums. Always thought Alex Lifeson was criminally underrated.
My daughter was dancing in the back of the car to Paco de Lucía tonight.

This one:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Hawkwind fans enjoy (that's Dave Brock on vocals):

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is Massive Wagons with Ratio from the album Full Nelson. They are a Lancaster band (we live next door in Morecambe). The album Full Nelson went top ten and they have just released their new album.

This video is ace for me personally because it features Lancaster's main biker pub 'The Pub' and their landlord. This is where they started and where their early gig were.

The gig footage is also from The Pub and there is a mural on the gable end of the Full Nelson album cover.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A 'deep fake' version of the Stranglers' Golden Brown apparently performed by... Dave Brubeck back in the day. Beautifully put together and what the internet's all about. Well, that and cats, and the Forteana Forum. Natch!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Two cracking versions of The Model: a Kraftwerk performance from 1982 with Karl giving it some moves; and the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britains's rather different, but still respectful, interpretation.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A 'deep fake' version of the Stranglers' Golden Brown apparently performed by... Dave Brubeck back in the day. Beautifully put together and what the internet's all about. Well, that and cats, and the Forteana Forum. Natch!

It's almost believable because 'Take Five' is very similar.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's almost believable because 'Take Five' is very similar.
I'm talking well outside of my area of expertise here (my brother's the muso, I do words!) but both apparently include elements of the waltz. Golden Brown has parts written in 6/8 (common in waltzes) and 3/4, the standard waltz time signature, while the meter of "Take Five" combines a waltz and a two-step, according to an article on the Scientific American's website, so it must be true.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Here's five to be going on with:
(just to remind us)

... and then some!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm back in the pub with the jukebox playing:

And unlike many bands still slogging away after years, he can still sing. As several of the comments on the video state, they haven't tuned down to help him hit those notes at all.

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
The 2020 remix .. and when's the new film coming out anyway?