What Music?

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Any Zeal & Ardor fans? Just been listening to the album released last year in response the George Floyd killing and it's powerful stuff.

(this isn't from that - this is from the album 'Devil is Fine', a concept album around the theme of "what if American slaves had embraced Satan instead of Jesus?", mixing Black Metal and traditional African-American Spirituals and it is quite something!)

Last edited:

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Glad you like it! That entire album was actually recorded by one guy (Manuel Gagneux) on his laptop with a crappy mic. The newer stuff has a slightly higher-produced quality to it but is worth checking out.

That's cool, thanks for sharing! My dad loves that song so I'll have to play that for him.

That chain-gang vibe is present throughout quite a lot of the 'Devil Is Fine' album (particularly the title track).

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I've been listening to a lot of Bill Flagg recently: the man who is credited with first using the term, "rockabilly" — although by his own admission he originally called it "rockbilly" and at another time spelled it "rockabillie".

Flagg was also claimed by some to have invented the genre — which is clearly not the case. Indeed, his own definition of rockabilly as "one half blue grass, one half rock and roll" is somewhat idiosyncratic.

My own nerdishness aside, there is a simple joy to this music: it's all about dancing and feeling good and doesn't pretend to be any more meaningful than that.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
That chain-gang vibe is present throughout quite a lot of the 'Devil Is Fine' album...
Wow... just shows you and as they say, what goes around comes around...

Also befitting then to highlight another song I had never heard the original version of until recently.

Click on, 'Watch on YouTube'.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
... his own definition of rockabilly as "one half blue grass, one half rock and roll" is somewhat idiosyncratic.
'Goodness gracious...'! This is a new discovery for myself and I should expect others here.

What an eclectic bunch we are this morning! :chuckle:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
If aforeposted was kinda Status Quo meets country music, this is pure badass redneck...
Oakland, 1977.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I very rarely discover any new music these days but my job in Bristol was based near Rough Trade Records, and on two occasions I went there they were playing music I liked so much that I bought the CD, including Eerie Wanda's Pet Town, which I find hard to describe.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Something I had kept aside... not sure if everyone might like.

Taking the risk, seeing it's all a good bit of fun - a different take on a well known song.

'New Orleans style'...

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
...Eerie Wanda's Pet Town, which I find hard to describe.
I love that... 'right down my street'. It's a breath of fresh... (avoiding another cliché!).

Reminds of...

....quite unique, isn't it. :)

Will be playing this again later.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I love that... 'right down my street'. It's a breath of fresh... (avoiding another cliché!).

Reminds of...

....quite unique, isn't it. :)

Will be playing this again later.
The whole album's in the same vein.

I really, really, really hate over-produced music with Mariah Carey-like vocals etc etc – which is why I like stripped-back jangly, indie music etc – and Eerie Wanda is the total antithesis of overblown music.

I'm also fond of Denise James, whose music has a very 60s vibe.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Had a look recently for any early, live material from the Jam, I might have missed previously.

Would be fair to say this was unexpected - 'Swap Shop', 1981...!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm also fond of Denise James, whose music has a very 60s vibe.
I was thinking more about Pet Town and realised there was actually something it did remind myself of.

So does Denise James and you might just understand why I recall formative days when mates and myself would enjoy a spliff or three whilst huddled around my new Christmas pressy, 'Stereo System' record player, especially often listening to one artist in particular...

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm probably late to the party but I enjoyed how this song combines the styles of 80s rap, motown and funk for a song about a man and his moped.

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
I was thinking more about Pet Town and realised there was actually something it did remind myself of.

So does Denise James and you might just understand why I recall formative days when mates and myself would enjoy a spliff or three whilst huddled around my new Christmas pressy, 'Stereo System' record player, especially often listening to one artist in particular...

I clicked on that video to see if that was the same Femme Fatale song that I'm familiar with, and indeed it was! :)

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This hath appeareth on YouTube.

Not necessarily one for us oldies only... a remarkable demonstration of early synthesiser wizardry!

From 1970...

shellac7

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme - Black Hole Sun.

I love the original, but this has a charm all of its own.

Ignore the video, there is no official one, and this clip has the best audio I could find on YouTube

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Looking forward to the first of four livestreamed gigs by the Swedish metal band AVATAR tonight! They're playing fan-voted songs from different albums at each gig so it will be over 60 tracks in total.

It's also my birthday tomorrow so, with lockdown and all, I'm grateful to them for giving me a way to celebrate \m/