What TV Are You Watching?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Neil Brand's new series on BBC 4 The Sound of Movie Musicals was superb tonight. Full of facts and talking heads who actually had a lot of worth to say. Only criticism would be some of the clips weren't in great shape (one of my pet hates is docs taking extracts from YouTube). Other than that, fascinating, historically and musically.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Ash vs Evil Dead, purely because l wanted some dark, bingeable telly.

I wasn’t a super fan of the films, but AVED is a slight but intermittently amusing helping of chewing gum for the eyes.

l was pleased to see Mimi Rogers, the former Mrs. Tom Cruise, still looking good. Except when she was trying to chew Bruce Campbell’s head off, obvs.

maximus otter

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Heads up to Only Connect fans: they're starting a 4-part Champions series tonight at half seven, BBC 2, for the next three nights, then another on Christmas day.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
Rest assured that Mexican narcotraficantes share their Colombian counterparts' interpersonal skills, concern for human rights and distaste for harsh language.

maximus otter
Just finished episode 9. Fantastic stuff. They are definitely kind and caring chaps. ;)

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
Watched "Travelers" season 3 (hope it's not the last season) and some more episodes of The Vikings season 5 second part (the sets and costumes are gorgeous).

Also watched season one of the anime "Baki" (a good adaptation of the classic manga, great fight scenes).

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Fargo. We finished the first season t'other night and have now started the second.

Something about the first season seemed familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it. Eventually I realised that it reminded me of the work of Truman Capote, especially Handcarved Coffins. A brilliant, scary work which I can recommend but DON'T read about it first!

It's a bit of a yarn, a tall story, which Capote swore was true and can be tracked down just so far and no more...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The first part (or double bill of two parts) of Watership Down. The '78 version might be more aesthetically pleasing, but I was pleasantly surprised, this was really well done. I suppose with a cast iron classic plot as Richard Adams created, it's difficult to mess it up, though the backgrounds were better than the animals. What these eco-protestors were doing at the BBC yesterday I don't know - this makes them look pretty misguided.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Just watched "The Good Life" Christmas special, which I didn't think had aged that well, the "Porridge Christmas Special", still funny and "The Lone Ranger", which, despite the brickbats it got on release, is really rather good and the last 20 minutes are just brilliant.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Crikey, that Poirot was a bit grim. Apt way to end 2018, probably. Thought Malkovich would be way over the top, but if anything he's kind of tragic and melancholy. Looked like he needed a hug - he has no friends at all! Will tune in tomorrow with interest.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Just watched "The Good Life" Christmas special, which I didn't think had aged that well, the "Porridge Christmas Special", still funny and "The Lone Ranger", which, despite the brickbats it got on release, is really rather good and the last 20 minutes are just brilliant.
Porridge stands up very well even after 40 years, as does Father Ted. Possibly because they could be set pretty much anywhere and at any time; some of the language is dated, but some of the writing and the performances are without equal.

Coal

Crikey, that Poirot was a bit grim. Apt way to end 2018, probably. Thought Malkovich would be way over the top, but if anything he's kind of tragic and melancholy. Looked like he needed a hug - he has no friends at all! Will tune in tomorrow with interest.
Recorded that, so I'll watch it later, having first cheered myself up in readiness. In some of her later books on the fellow Agatha Christie did rather place him out of time and if not lonely he was resolutely out of date and touch. Younger people hadn't heard of him, for example.

Coal

Porridge stands up very well even after 40 years, as does Father Ted. Possibly because they could be set pretty much anywhere and at any time; some of the language is dated, but some of the writing and the performances are without equal.
Fulton MacKay is still the ultimate comedy martinet.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Legend - a film on the Kray brothers.
I found that weirdly light-hearted in comparison to the Kemp brothers version. Great performance(s) from Tom Hardy though.

Watched the Morecambe & Wise 'Lost Tapes' last night, which was slightly uncomfortable sat next to my Irish wife....

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I'm just about to give Ever Decreasing Circles another go, I was only a young lad the first time I watched it but even then I understood Martin's painful position in having to tolerate that smug bastard who everyone else on the street seemed to like .. as I recall, Martin was finally proven correct all along when smug bastard inevitably made a move on Martin's wife.

I hope this hasn't aged too badly, whenever me and the Mrs accidently decide to wear the same colour T Shirt or jacket or something, we still call each other 'Howard and Hilda'.

Coal

I'm just about to give Ever Decreasing Circles another go, I was only a young lad the first time I watched it but even then I understood Martin's painful position in having to tolerate that smug bastard who everyone else on the street seemed to like .. as I recall, Martin was finally proven correct all along when smug bastard inevitably made a move on Martin's wife.

I hope this hasn't aged too badly, whenever me and the Mrs accidently decide to wear the same colour T Shirt or jacket or something, we still call each other 'Howard and Hilda'.

It's rather more nuanced that it appears at first. The smug bastard is not nearly so perfect as he first appears and Martin's relationship with his wife is a good deal more solid and complex than one first assumes. The main cast are outstanding, but 'Howard and Hilda' are also perfectly played, so sincerely devoted to each other, one can't really mock them at all.

Swifty

It's rather more nuanced that it appears at first. The smug bastard is not nearly so perfect as he first appears and Martin's relationship with his wife is a good deal more solid and complex than one first assumes. The main cast are outstanding, but 'Howard and Hilda' are also perfectly played, so sincerely devoted to each other, one can't really mock them at all.
Yep, that's exactly how I remember it .. the smug bastard (and we've all met at least one) only got so far before eventually being rumbled but it took three compelling series for it to happen. The truth always comes out in the end.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
There were no villains in Ever Decreasing Circles, that's a big part of its charm, especially when Martin takes umbrage because of his persecution complex. As the audience, we're in the privileged position of seeing all the characters' flaws, but also what makes them endearing and why they have worth. It's a wonderfully-written sitcom, beautifully acted all round, hilarious frequently but with a touch of melancholy for flavour.

Swifty

There were no villains in Ever Decreasing Circles, that's a big part of its charm, especially when Martin takes umbrage because of his persecution complex. As the audience, we're in the privileged position of seeing all the characters' flaws, but also what makes them endearing and why they have worth. It's a wonderfully-written sitcom, beautifully acted all round, hilarious frequently but with a touch of melancholy for flavour.
Apart from the ending of season 3 when smug bastard finally shows his true colours and we learn that Martin who was clearly portrayed as just having a chip on his shoulder, unjustifiably jealous of a seemingly chilled out dude .. we all wanted Martin to just chill out and if you can't beat 'em, join 'em etc, envious of the man who somehow was always casually best at everything somehow was proven right all along which was an interesting choice of a twist ending. In real life, I'd have probably made friends with smug bastard but the writers clearly didn't like him. The character smug bastard has a lot of serial killer Ted Bundy about him: handsome, witty, charming, hard not to like but only Martin could see through the sociopath so we had to go along with Martin's suffering. That was the core weird in joke of the whole show, it was two men's weakness's and personality clashes clashing although they were both as bad as each other, they were definitely deliberately winding each other up in the end.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Well, there were four series of EDC, and as far as I remember the only thing close to Paul getting a comeuppance was when we realised he couldn't hold onto a woman in his life, whereas Martin was a huge success in that area, which made them even. The last episode sees Paul and Martin bidding each other a fond farewell (or as close as fond as they can get - Paul genuinely likes Martin, anyway) as Martin and Anne are moving out. It's surprisingly affecting.

henry

still speeding
... to oswestry as i recall from only having seen about 10 minutes of this series at the time it was first aired ? or that could be a canard

fortean teen ne'erdowell acquired AHS seasons 1-3 boxset for christmas, or american horror soap as i call it

Last edited: