What TV Are You Watching?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Well, there were four series of EDC, and as far as I remember the only thing close to Paul getting a comeuppance was when we realised he couldn't hold onto a woman in his life, whereas Martin was a huge success in that area, which made them even. The last episode sees Paul and Martin bidding each other a fond farewell (or as close as fond as they can get - Paul genuinely likes Martin, anyway) as Martin and Anne are moving out. It's surprisingly affecting.

henry

still speeding
... to oswestry as i recall from only having seen about 10 minutes of this series at the time it was first aired ? or that could be a canard

fortean teen ne'erdowell acquired AHS seasons 1-3 boxset for christmas, or american horror soap as i call it

Last edited:

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
I'm out of the country and don't do Netflix or anything, so - among many other things - I've never seen Mrs Brown's Boys.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...l-episode-brendan-ocarroll-bbc1-a8696286.html

Can it really be as crass as reports suggest? Is anyone willing to admit to being a fan? I am reminded a bit of `Allo allo` from the Eighties. That show was much scorned in its day, and for the same kinds of reasons, but enjoyed a huge viewership.

I'm afraid my tastes in comedy are very predictably `metropolitan elite`: Fry and Laurie, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and so on.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
It polarises the audience, I've never seen an episode (or the film) but it seems harmless enough to me. Anything that cheers folk up these days and isn't actively malicious is fine by me.

I'm out of the country and don't do Netflix or anything, so - among many other things - I've never seen Mrs Brown's Boys.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...l-episode-brendan-ocarroll-bbc1-a8696286.html

Can it really be as crass as reports suggest? Is anyone willing to admit to being a fan? I am reminded a bit of `Allo allo` from the Eighties. That show was much scorned in its day, and for the same kinds of reasons, but enjoyed a huge viewership.

I'm afraid my tastes in comedy are very predictably `metropolitan elite`: Fry and Laurie, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and so on.
Crass. Rubbish.

Embarrassingly bad.

Gets Ireland a bad name.

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
Black Mirror - Bandersnatch on Netflix. OMG!

I don't know where to begin. Watch/play it now. You'll watch/play it again immediately. Trippy mish mash of TV and 80's computer puzzle game. I've seen more endings and scenarios than I can remember now and so far only one ending has been happy (sort of). I'm confused, challenged and can't wait to hear what others think.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

If you watched and enjoyed the GHOSTBUSTERS reboot/reimagining, you'll enjoy Mrs Brown's Boys.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Thought the Poirot was excellent.
Wasn't it? Very dark, threw off the glossy 'art deco' look of the (excellent) Suchet's interpretation and some great performances, Shirley Henderson, perfect box of frogs as ever, Rupert Grint competently de-Pottered,

great imagining of Poirot's back story and a fall from grace for him and Japp

...and some real life portrayals of those not on the aristocratic spectrum. I'd watch another, I hope there'll be one.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Thought the Poirot was excellent.
Agree with that. Very dark, very enjoyable and a totally successful reimagination of Poirot on the small screen - thought it was a lovely, subtle performance from John Malkovich. Found the CGI railway scenes quite surreal/unreal, which I guess was the aim.

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
Black Mirror Bandersnatch, just about to go arounnd again. Sugarpuffs!
Poor Stefan. I put him through a living hell last night.

HUGE SPOILER ALERT
Still can't work out if the whole PACS thing is just an LSD induced dream after his night with Colin or if he was experimented upon by Dad.

We've had all the endings now. We've also had him jump off the balcony, seen Colin's daughter Pearl programming it on Netflix, fought the doctor but had him jump out the window (and so they call cut when filming because of "Stefans" freakout) been attacked by PAX in his father's study, opened the safe to get the toy, been experimented upon. We haven't yet killed Kitty or his Boss which is aparently something you can do when she comes calling at the door looking for Colin.

What's amazing is how seamless it is. Not many cut aways - the action just continues after you make your choices. An amazing feat of television. It'll probably die like 3D TV did but talk about interactive viewing.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Count me as another who really enjoyed Poirot, a successful reimagining, not many of those, but it looked terrific, I didn't spot the twist, and it consciously portrayed murder not as some twee parlour game (which you can often accuse Christie of) but as something deeply unpleasant. Cast were excellent all round. A definite festive highlight.

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
"A Monster Calls"

"Bird Box"

"3 Below: Tales of Arcadia"

"Black Mirror: Bandersnatch"

All worth a watch, Bandersnatch is worth several watches,
I watched Bird Box after going a few rounds with Black Mirror; I constantly expected my cursor to appear on the screen so I could decide what Sandra Bullock would do next...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Watched Bird Box this afternoon, it would be laughably bad if it had even an ounce of humour. That ending was totally ridiculous. What a waste of two hours - I could have been trying Bandersnatch instead!

Watched Bird Box this afternoon, it would be laughably bad if it had even an ounce of humour. That ending was totally ridiculous. What a waste of two hours - I could have been trying Bandersnatch instead!
Can't agree with you (quelle surprise!), review to follow. In the meantime I hope you're divebombed by turtledoves.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
It's almost midnight & I am watching Finding Bigfoot. It's an episode from series 4, the team are in Arkansas and they are yet to find him/her.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Can't agree with you (quelle surprise!), review to follow. In the meantime I hope you're divebombed by turtledoves.
That is a worrying hope for me since according to that film they can breathe underwater for a minute at a time. Tough critters.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Just binged episodes 1-5 of 'Tin Star'. Kind of a Canadian neo-Western. Fell, grim, but very engaging. Tim Roth excellent, his Irish wife (Genevieve O'Reilly), quite terrifying in her way. Great supporting cast, villains who you really don't mind dying horribly.