What TV Are You Watching?

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Saw two films last night:

"The Domestics" - post-apocalyptic marriage counselling

"Attack the Block" - the Jodie Whittaker School of Swearing
Attack the Block - fab fun! If you haven't, check out Adult Life Skills...Jodie being very Yorkshire and nerdy.

I'm just about to dive into the recent BBC Poirot. I know it's already been discussed here but I have not yet read those messages (clue: busy sending Stefan to [various endings] in Bandersnatch), so will check back later.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Watched Bandersnatch last night, really enjoyed it, was a little apprehensive about the idea of the interactive thing but thought it worked pretty well in the end. Will Poulter was excellent but the combination of Tangerine Dream and Trellick Tower was enough to keep me watching!

For those who missed it, Fionn Whitehead was in a good 3 part series on ITV a few years back called Him, which was about a boy with telekinetic powers. I missed part 3 but going from the first two episodes I would recommend giving it a watch if you can track it down online.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
For those who missed it, Fionn Whitehead was in a good 3 part series on ITV a few years back called Him, which was about a boy with telekinetic powers. I missed part 3 but going from the first two episodes I would recommend giving it a watch if you can track it down online.
We saw Him, stunning.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The tribute to June Whitfield Terry and June episode. I know it's much-maligned as the ultimate in safe, cosy comedy, but it really made me laugh. They had a great rapport.

Kryptonite

Dazed and confused for so long it's not true
I'm watching a load of Hogmanay-related crap - I've decided that probably the only good thing about my drinking days is that I was usually in a drunken sleep by this time each Hogmanay and never had to endure Jackie Bird's vacant ramblings or Jools Holland yelling Happy New Year and desperately trying to pretend his show wasn't recorded in August.

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Bandersnatch was a very good idea and entertaining but slightly overhyped I felt and too many instances where it felt like you were being given options but ultimately you had to go back and do what they wanted you to do and choose a certain path with inevitability.

I suppose that was the same with the CYOA books as a kid, which I loved.

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
Bandersnatch was a very good idea and entertaining but slightly overhyped I felt and too many instances where it felt like you were being given options but ultimately you had to go back and do what they wanted you to do and choose a certain path with inevitability.

That was also revealed/explained by the lead character when he said that ultimately he narrowed down their choices to give the players the illsuions of free will whilst guiding them toward the endings he created.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

I used to love those Choose Your Own Adventures books as well :) .. I bet you used to do the same thing I did and cheat by sticking bits of paper in the page you were leaving so you could go back and chose a different page in case you were killed? ..

That was also revealed/explained by the lead character when he said that ultimately he narrowed down their choices to give the players the illsuions of free will whilst guiding them toward the endings he created.
Is there any option of just watching it as a 90 minute film?

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
I used to love those Choose Your Own Adventures books as well :) .. I bet you used to do the same thing I did and cheat by sticking bits of paper in the page you were leaving so you could go back and chose a different page in case you were killed? ..
Of course !

GNC

King-Sized Canary
If you liked The Endless, try the same directors' Resolution, which is kind of the previous version with a twist (I had to laugh when two of the characters from it showed up in the follow-up!).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
This has been the funniest thing on festive TV the past couple of years, but was on late night BBC 4 so hardly anyone watched it. This year it was on BBC 2 so with any luck more saw it:
A Year in the Life of a Year 2018

Still the funniest thing on all holiday. Warning: extremely bad taste. But hilarious! What they do to Paddington and Black Mirror is absolutely sidesplitting!

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Watched Bandersnatch last night, really enjoyed it, was a little apprehensive about the idea of the interactive thing but thought it worked pretty well in the end. Will Poulter was excellent but the combination of Tangerine Dream and Trellick Tower was enough to keep me watching!

Bandersnatch bored me to tears, the whole choices thing got old very quickly and the characters were so thin, (and annoying), that I couldn't get arsed about what happened to anyone. Characterization was sacrificed for the gimmick of the choices. The female characters were particularly weak.

Warlock of Firetop Mountain, (the bit where you were stuck in the same set of corridors for ever), was more interesting.

Last edited:

escargot

Beloved of Ra
The female characters were particularly weak.
We watched Ghost Stories last night on Netflix.
The main cast were just several white men. The twist is that all the characters are connected in the final scene, where any of them could have been female. Or non-white, for that matter. Would have been more authentic in that setting, and wittier.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
Just watched 'The Revenant' with Leo DiCaprio. Last time I saw it I was on a plane so often distracted. Now I'm watching a documentary on the life of Walt Disney, called 'Walt, the Man Behind the Myth'.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
I'm watching a load of Hogmanay-related crap - I've decided that probably the only good thing about my drinking days is that I was usually in a drunken sleep by this time each Hogmanay and never had to endure Jackie Bird's vacant ramblings or Jools Holland yelling Happy New Year and desperately trying to pretend his show wasn't recorded in August.
Spent the New Year's 'bells' on this forum...

Reminded all family and friends... can't stand New Year... stay away! :parapet:

Especially, as you note, the obligatory, pretentious, BBC 1 Scotland Hogmanay broadcast - Aly Bain & Hamish McFiddle, or whomever and perennially hosted by Jackie Bird.

They could have broadcast a Hogmanay program from 10 years ago and few would have noticed.
Jools... as you surmise... likewise! :snoopnap:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Recently watched Sad Hill Unearthed on Netflix. This is a documentary about a group of film enthusiasts who have restored the cemetery that appeared at the climax of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The movie shows their work along with interviews with fans, critics and people who worked on the film including Ennio Morricone and there's a great story about the scene where the bridge was blown up - a real "Ready when you are Mr DeMille," moment.

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
Is there any option of just watching it as a 90 minute film?
Kind of - yes and no.

You are presented with a series of choices - do this or do that. The quickest way through takes about 40 minutes. Once you reach an ending, you can choose to go back a step or two and choose differently. So the average time watching is 90 mins but you can piss around all night if you want to until it decides that enough is enough and points you towards an ending.

We played it twice and explored loads of options/endings. In total it took us about 3 hours until we felt satisfied.

Kind of - yes and no.

You are presented with a series of choices - do this or do that. The quickest way through takes about 40 minutes. Once you reach an ending, you can choose to go back a step or two and choose differently. So the average time watching is 90 mins but you can piss around all night if you want to until it decides that enough is enough and points you towards an ending.

We played it twice and explored loads of options/endings. In total it took us about 3 hours until we felt satisfied.
So that's a no!

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
Kind of - yes and no.

I played with it for around 6 hours to get all possible scenes. That's great entertainment value for a film. If only all films had similar construction.