What TV Are You Watching?

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Luther 5

During the first episode I realised that I watch far too many crime type dramas* as I recognised the house Hermione Norris's character is living in as one used in an old episode of Silent Witness (Rivers Edge, series 19). I recognised it from its staircase; confirmed once an outside shot showed its forbidding black exterior.

*"watch Silent Witness in a slightly obsessive way" is probably closer to the truth of the matter...

ravensocks

Junior Acolyte
Luther 5

During the first episode I realised that I watch far too many crime type dramas* as I recognised the house Hermione Norris's character is living in as one used in an old episode of Silent Witness (Rivers Edge, series 19). I recognised it from its staircase; confirmed once an outside shot showed its forbidding black exterior.

*"watch Silent Witness in a slightly obsessive way" is probably closer to the truth of the matter...
I flipping love Luther - creepy, violent, over the top fun!

Luther 5

I knew it but couldn't place it, very distinctive.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
Just watched The Dead Room, BBC's Ghost Story for Christmas, it's nice to see an original rather than them unearthing and buggering about MR James yet again. It was merely fine though: the build up wasn't great, essentially a moribund environment occasionally interrupted by weirdness and not done especially well when it did. It also could have had made a far more interesting use of "haunted" technology. When the ghost is finally revealed I actually laughed and the final image is almost a jump scare.

Mark Gatiss is a one trick pony, that trick being League of Gentlemen. I liked some of the early episodes of Sherlock and did enjoy his adaptation of The Tractate Middoth a few years ago but most of what he does is promising but dull. No interest in Dr Who so don't watch it, those I know who do, seem very divided.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Right at this moment I'm watching the second part of the BBC documentary on Waco. It's terrible. I remember it at the time, it was dreadful then , and it's just as harrowing to watch now. Totally badly handled, understatement of the year.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I’m currently wading through Constantine. I loved the DC Hellblazer comic, was disappointed by the Keanu Reeves movie but I’m loving the cynical scouse mage sorting out demons in thisTV series.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Just watched The Dead Room, BBC's Ghost Story for Christmas, it's nice to see an original rather than them unearthing and buggering about MR James yet again. It was merely fine though: the build up wasn't great, essentially a moribund environment occasionally interrupted by weirdness and not done especially well when it did. It also could have had made a far more interesting use of "haunted" technology. When the ghost is finally revealed I actually laughed and the final image is almost a jump scare.

Mark Gatiss is a one trick pony, that trick being League of Gentlemen. I liked some of the early episodes of Sherlock and did enjoy his adaptation of The Tractate Middoth a few years ago but most of what he does is promising but dull. No interest in Dr Who so don't watch it, those I know who do, seem very divided.
I like Mr Gatiss because he is a buff, he loves horror, comedy, SF, thrillers and has immersed himself in them all his life. There's a real respect for the genres in his work, even of it doesn't always come off, but what writer hits the bullseye every time, anyway? He's not just earning a living with his writing and acting, he's doing it for the love of it and I think you can tell in his efforts. Plus his Ice Warriors revival episode of DW was really great.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
I like Mr Gatiss because he is a buff, he loves horror, comedy, SF, thrillers and has immersed himself in them all his life. There's a real respect for the genres in his work, even of it doesn't always come off, but what writer hits the bullseye every time, anyway? He's not just earning a living with his writing and acting, he's doing it for the love of it and I think you can tell in his efforts. Plus his Ice Warriors revival episode of DW was really great.
Yes he loves that shit and that's great but his takes on those things I often find dull. I don't care how much he loves ghost stories when he writes/adapts/directs one, i just care how much I enjoy what he's produced.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Yes he loves that shit and that's great but his takes on those things I often find dull. I don't care how much he loves ghost stories when he writes/adapts/directs one, i just care how much I enjoy what he's produced.
Yeah, but if he was just some hack doin' it for the money then it wouldn't be half as good for me. Maybe he's not to your taste because you both have different ideas on what's satisfying about a good story? It happens, doesn't mean he's a poor writer. Personally I'm really looking forward to his Dracula.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I think he's an average writer/director.

Horses/courses.
Never underestimate how much you bring of yourself to the art and entertainment you watch and listen to. I'm younger than Gatiss, but I did grow up with the same culture as he did, and I saw a lot of the same stuff that enthused him, so either I think, yeah, seen it all before, nice try but I prefer the originals, or I think yes! I see what you're doing and I love that stuff too! Bravo! It tends to be the latter for me.

Not only with him either, I appreciate a writer who knows the culture they're working in, so even if I'm not familiar with everything a film is trying to use, you can tell when they're being smart and respectful with their influences.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
Never underestimate how much you bring of yourself to the art and entertainment you watch and listen to. I'm younger than Gatiss, but I did grow up with the same culture as he did, and I saw a lot of the same stuff that enthused him, so either I think, yeah, seen it all before, nice try but I prefer the originals, or I think yes! I see what you're doing and I love that stuff too! Bravo! It tends to be the latter for me.

Not only with him either, I appreciate a writer who knows the culture they're working in, so even if I'm not familiar with everything a film is trying to use, you can tell when they're being smart and respectful with their influences.
I'm no longer certain what we are arguing about to be honest, without wishing to be dismissive either to yourself, myself or the discussion at hand it seems to boil down to the fact that you like Gatiss' work more than I do and there's nothing wrong with either of our stances. I'm, I'd guess, about 10 years younger than Gatiss and broadly familiar with his influences. I know he knows his stuff, more through him as a talking head and presenter than through any original fiction he's produced but it doesn't have much of an affect on the level of enjoyment I derive from his work.

I don't dislike his stuff I just find that most of it leaves me cold, I did prefer his Tractate Middoth to the other recent(ish) James adaptations though. He's a nerd who got very, very lucky and seems to be the Beeb's go to guy for that sort of thing of late. Ultimately, I much prefer Psychoville and to a lesser extent Inside No 9 to anything he's down post-League of Gentlemen.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I didn't think we were arguing, I thought we were discussing!

Anyway, watched Pointless Celebrities tonight, got a Pointless Jackpot answer (The Gunman). The day has not been wasted!

Luther 5

It's a property on Swain's Lane, which goes right through the East and West parts of Highgate cemetery.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
It's about one man trying to survive the zombie apocalypse in Paris, coming to terms with fear, loneliness and boredom along the way. A welcome holiday from the usual zombie flick.
Sounds interesting, will give it a look.

When I googled it, another French (comedy) zombie film came up: The Horde, I'm 99% certain I've seen it but can basically recall nothing at all, even liking or disliking it, so it clearly didn't make much of an impression if I did.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Luther. Techy loves this so I've watched it with him when I've been in. I mentally switch off though and carry on with stuff on t'laptop because I hate the main character, specifically his treatment of his estranged wife.

Used to work for Women's Aid and met many such 'men', the sort who'd intimidate a woman through indirect violence like shouting and destroying property like oversized toddlers. I always faced them down. They didn't scare me and I'd tell them that.

What surprised me was that when I expressed my disdain of Luther last night, Techy said 'Aw, he loves his wife!'
I was astounded. I said 'A man who loves his wife does what you just did for me*, he doesn't get angry and kick a door to pieces in front of her!'

I s'pose it's all about the poor man's emotional inarticulacy. Boo hoo.

*Drove 30-odd miles and back and humped furniture to assist my son's house move, thanks for asking.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Sounds interesting, will give it a look.

When I googled it, another French (comedy) zombie film came up: The Horde, I'm 99% certain I've seen it but can basically recall nothing at all, even liking or disliking it, so it clearly didn't make much of an impression if I did.
I bought the DVD of "La Horde" many years ago, when I spotted it in the bargain bin in a French supermarket.
Starts out as a cops and robbers movie, with the two sides joining forces to fight off the zombies.
It's watchable but nothing special.
35% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I bought the DVD of "La Horde" many years ago, when I spotted it in the bargain bin in a French supermarket.
Starts out as a cops and robbers movie, with the two sides joining forces to fight off the zombies.
It's watchable but nothing special.
35% on Rotten Tomatoes.
I liked the old alcoholic retired Foreign Legionnaire, an effective Zombie fighter.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
I liked the old alcoholic retired Foreign Legionnaire, an effective Zombie fighter.
That rings a very vague bell, as does two sides teaming up though I don't recall them being cops and robbers. I recall Cockneys vs Zombies more and that was very average, maybe it's something to do with recognising actors and it being in my native language.