What TV Are You Watching?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I honestly thought they were sending up PC stuff!

I liked the way some episodes could have been in STOS with less laughs.
This may be the first time Seth MacFarlane has been described as PC. For me, the point was to undercut the earnest ST:TNG business (now there WAS a PC show) with the way people actually behaved, with all their flaws and prejudices and pettiness. That said, it does come across as if MacFarlane came up with his own idea for a ST reboot, was turned down, then went ahead anyway. I note some ST folk are involved (Brannon Braga, Penny Johnson Jerald).

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Brilliant show, pity Alan Ball never did anything like as good after it. What a great ensemble, too.
He did a bit of True Blood.

Six Feet Under is brilliant. I love it nearly as much as I do The Sopranos, and many of the characters are more likeable!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I tried the first season of The Sopranos and just couldn't get into it. It's weird, because I loved The Wire and thought it would be similar, but I just didn't care about Tony and his brood.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I tried the first season of The Sopranos and just couldn't get into it. It's weird, because I loved The Wire and thought it would be similar, but I just didn't care about Tony and his brood.
I got into The Sopranos when I came across a clip online where a ghost is seen. It intrigued me enough to pick up the DVD set of the first series. The titles between episodes were nice too, with the revolving gun and bouquet, and sample of the theme. The organised crime theme is of interest to me, I'm a Godfather buff and that comes up a lot. Most of all I liked the extremely dark humour.

Have you tried Treme, by the same people who did The Wire? I liked it.

onetwothree

Sigils, Prosecco and crying are my main talents.
I've just rewatched all of Blue Eyes (Swedish drama on All4 a couple of years ago) and am just about to dive into Rebecka Martinsson: Arctic Murders. I do love a good Scandi drama.

I loved The Wire - but (and this is probably going to sound contradictory - but don't think it is) I was never absolutely sure it was quite as good as everyone said it was.

I miss Homicide - for my money, still one of the best written crime series ever.

I recommended Southland some years back - another great cop show which seemed to me to be mystifyingly overlooked. Has anyone else ever actually seen it?

I got into The Sopranos when I came across a clip online where a ghost is seen. It intrigued me enough to pick up the DVD set of the first series. The titles between episodes were nice too, with the revolving gun and bouquet, and sample of the theme. The organised crime theme is of interest to me, I'm a Godfather buff and that comes up a lot. Most of all I liked the extremely dark humour.
Did I mention that Edie Falco once bought me a drink? Did I mention that somewhere - you know, that Edie Falco bought me a drink?

Oh, yes - I mentioned it here. Edie Falco buying me a drink, that is.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Did I mention that Edie Falco once bought me a drink? Did I mention that somewhere - you know, that Edie Falco bought me a drink?

Oh, yes - I mentioned it here. Edie Falco buying me a drink, that is.
No, you didn't mention that. Not once. We'll need to hear all about it, please.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Have you tried Treme, by the same people who did The Wire? I liked it.
I haven't, my friend's the David Simon expert to be honest, I've only seen The Wire, though I have The Deuce all lined up to watch. Sooo much else to watch, though...

I haven't, my friend's the David Simon expert to be honest, I've only seen The Wire, though I have The Deuce all lined up to watch. Sooo much else to watch, though...
It's got it's serious moments but on the whole a very uplifting feel-good show with some truly great music.

Last night I finished watching the French crime series, Zone Blanche - and, despite some early reservations, I thoroughly enjoyed it: spooky, atmospheric, handsomely shot, amazing scenery. A range of possible influences: maybe a bit of Coen brothers, some Twin Peaks, and a dose of the almost inevitable Scandi style darkness (but as clichés go, I really quite like that one - and the densely forested landscape lends itself naturally). Much more in the vein of a Fred Vargas novel than your average policier. In fact the style, atmosphere and subject matter reminded me so much of Vargas that I had check out for myself that she wasn’t involved in the making (and anyone who likes both crime fiction and weird shit and who hasn’t already heard of Fred Vargas should maybe look her up).

The individual episode length stories are more or less real-world, but there’s an overarching and interconnecting one that is potentially otherworldly (a potential which ramps up as the series continues) as well as a dash of the unheimlich running through the whole process – it’s a mix of worldly and uncanny that I’ve always found really attractive, and which strikes me as more truly Fortean in tone than more obviously supernaturally centred fiction. I won’t go into any more detail – but I’ll whet the appetite with a few little trigger references: a dying town; the mountains; the forest (lots of it); corvus corone (lots of them); Cernunnos!

Okay, it has its issues - including a dose of the Silent Witless stupids when it comes to things technical - evidenced for example by the incredibly short time it takes for a DNA sample to be processed, and the fact that the local doctor also happens to be a pathologist with a fully equipped lab – despite being in a rundown and apparently sparsely populated timber town at the back end of nowhere. But, despite this, and a few other niggles, within the parameters of the world created by the makers, it all kind of makes sense; the teasing ‘is this supernatural – is it real – is it both’ storyline is sustained well, and the pagan element dealt with in a gratifyingly non sensational way - the associated imagery is striking and sometimes quite beautiful, but without being reduced to the visual hysteria which attends so many outings into the uncanny.

It’s on Amazon prime as Black Spot – if you have access I’d suggest it might not be a waste of your time to give it a go.

graylien

Justified & Ancient
I've now found a new quiz show to watch, which is ITVs Tenable. It's like something Alan Partridge might have pitched.

Warwick Davis hosts, and contestants are asked to produce top ten lists of things. The utter banality of the lists is hilarious.

Top ten sandwich fillings. Ten Bond films with three or four word titles. Top ten pizza toppings.

Warwick Davis keeps on reminding everyone of how famous he is, and most of the contestants are rubbish at the game.

Unmissable.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I do wish Warwick's try at Celebrity Squares had taken off, I really liked it.

George_millett

Ephemeral Spectre
Just binge watching Babylon 5 at the moment. Already watched all of Series 1 and half way through Series 2. Sheridan is gradually growing in to his new role as Captain of Babylon 5.

Siren a contemporary dark tale about Mermads; SF rather than Fantasy.

Marvel: Agents of Shield.

The Handmaid's Tale season 2.

Legion.

Gone.

Current seasons of Criminal Minds, The Blacklist and Blindspot have just ended.

Catching up with episodes of Endeavour season 5.

onetwothree

Sigils, Prosecco and crying are my main talents.
The Handmaid's Tale season 2.
This. And The Bridge. I'm also catching up on the back catalogue of Taskmaster which I find utterly bizarre and utterly hilarious (and I think I've got a crush on BOTH of the presenters, go me!). I keep trying to get into Tabula Rasa on All4 and want to start The Chalet - either Netflix or All4.

On iTunes -
Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 13.52.25jpeg.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 13.52.42jpeg.jpg

On Netflix - Safe, Happy, and Money Heist. Recently finished Altered Carbon, which I enjoyed, although it could get confusing at times.

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
Anyone watching Missions on BBC4? Quite nice to have a French sci-fi for a change.

This. And The Bridge. I'm also catching up on the back catalogue of Taskmaster which I find utterly bizarre and utterly hilarious (and I think I've got a crush on BOTH of the presenters, go me!). I keep trying to get into Tabula Rasa on All4 and want to start The Chalet - either Netflix or All4.
The Chalet is good.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
We've just finished (re)watching Manhunt: Unabomber. Compelling stuff.

My current guilty pleasure is First Dates.

Almost anything archaeology-based.

Forged in Fire, obviously.

At the moment I'm trying to get my head around Safe, a murder/abduction/mystery set in a gated estate which seems to have a higher homicide rate than Midsomer. It stars him out of Dexter doing a pretty passable Brit accent. A gold star for anyone who can keep track of all the subplots and which character is which, and what relation to whom.

maximus otter

Last edited: