What TV Are You Watching?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I'm currently watching ITV4's coverage of the French Open Tennis.

Unlike the Beeb they don't have a bevy of celebrity pundits, but the commentary is perfectly decent.

The first week has been a tad pedestrian and predictable, with the only real surprise being Angelique Kerber crashing out in the first round.

On the plus side, Johanna Konta is playing like an absolute beast.

Hopefully next week things will liven up.
Serena and Naomi "crashed out" yesterday, that was pretty big news.

But didn't you see the Wawrinka-Tsitsipas match this afternoon? Five hours, and all riveting! Johanna was great too, but I think she meets Sloane Stephens next - would not like to call that one. What I want to know is why Johanna is pronounced Yohanna, but when they shorten it to Jo it's pronounced with a J as in Joanna.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
No, I missed the Wawrinka match. It sounds pretty epic.

I actually wasn't that surprised by Serena going out. Obviously she's one of the game's greatest players, but clay has never been her strongest surface, and over the last couple of years her consistency seems to have dipped since her glory days.

Naomi is still a fairly young player and I expect she will improve even further over the next few years.

As for 'Yohanna', maybe that's the standard Australian pronounciation?

Personally I fancy her chances over Sloane Stephens providing she maintains her current form. She can be a tad inconsistent though. On her bad days, I've seen her play some shocking shots.

Obviously Halep is in with a chance. I just have a feeling this may be Konta's year.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
No, I missed the Wawrinka match. It sounds pretty epic.

I actually wasn't that surprised by Serena going out. Obviously she's one of the game's greatest players, but clay has never been her strongest surface, and over the last couple of years her consistency seems to have dipped since her glory days.

Naomi is still a fairly young player and I expect she will improve even further over the next few years.

As for 'Yohanna', maybe that's the standard Australian pronounciation?

Personally I fancy her chances over Sloane Stephens providing she maintains her current form. She can be a tad inconsistent though. On her bad days, I've seen her play some shocking shots.

Obviously Halep is in with a chance. I just have a feeling this may be Konta's year.
Naomi is a lovely girl, extremely talented, but seems to suffer crushing self-doubt despite her success. I hope she can get over that.

Johanna's pronunciation is presumably the Hungarian one since that's where her family were from before Oz. I don't know why they don't call her Yo, if they're feeling familiar, though. You might be right about Sloane, but I fear they're evenly matched. We'll see on Tuesday. Halep? Maybe, but it's kind of an open field this year, is my impression.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anyone see 63 Up, on all week at 9pm on ITV? It's incredible they're still sustaining this series, one of the all-time greats, and equally incredible Michael Apted is still able to produce it at his age. Great to catch up, but very upsetting to see the Yorkshire farmboy turned US professor is now dying of cancer. I suppose there had to come a time when the group started to die, but sobering nonetheless, especially as he seems like a lovely guy.

Anyone see 63 Up, on all week at 9pm on ITV? It's incredible they're still sustaining this series, one of the all-time greats, and equally incredible Michael Apted is still able to produce it at his age. Great to catch up, but very upsetting to see the Yorkshire farmboy turned US professor is now dying of cancer. I suppose there had to come a time when the group started to die, but sobering nonetheless, especially as he seems like a lovely guy.
Always felt for Neil Hughes most. Stoic fellow. I seem to be replicating his early 30s in my late 40s. Hope that doesn't continue. God forbid I should go in for local government.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Always felt for Neil Hughes most. Stoic fellow. I seem to be replicating his early 30s in my late 40s. Hope that doesn't continue. God forbid I should go in for local government.
Last time he was on the programme he expressed regret for ever having appeared on it. Hope he changed his mind, and if he did, I suspect they're saving him for the final episode tomorrow.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
You might be right about Sloane but I fear they're evenly matched.
Yeah, I think you must be right about the Hungarian pronunciation.

Maybe Konta herself just prefers Jo to Yo? She seems to have a very strong personality, so I reckon if she wanted to be called Yo, she'd insist on being called it.

As for the match with Sloane Stephens, Konta played a devastating first set and a pretty effective second.

Barring a sudden drop in form, I really think she could win the tournament. Once the damn rain stops!

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Mr Zebra and I aren't great telly-watchers nowadays (cos it's mostly crap :omr:) but t'other week we stumbled upon Vera which is a very likeable detective drama series, set in Newcastle / Northumberland with very nice scenery I must say. And the refreshing thing is, it's not gory. No over-the-top shots of gruesome dead bodies like so many shows seem to have.

Yes, we realise the show's been going for years and we've only just discovered it, but that's kinda par-for-the-course in the Zebra household. :)

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
My wife was watching '63 Up' on TV before. It showed a clip from 1977/1978, it must have been the East End of London I reckon, because on a bridge in the background was painted in white paint 'George Davis is innocent'. So I had to go and listen to Sham 69.

It also triggered my memory of some graffiti of the time. Someone had written 'free George Davis' and underneath someone had added 'with every packet of Kellogs corn flakes'.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I was watching 63 Up episode 2 and was saddened to hear Lynn had died, a very inspirational woman in her way.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
My wife was watching '63 Up' on TV before. It showed a clip from 1977/1978, it must have been the East End of London I reckon, because on a bridge in the background was painted in white paint 'George Davis is innocent'. So I had to go and listen to Sham 69.

It also triggered my memory of some graffiti of the time. Someone had written 'free George Davis' and underneath someone had added 'with every packet of Kellogs corn flakes'.
Ooh I was intrigued by what '63 up' was so I've just had a quick search on t'internet. Looks quite interesting, although given my penchant for old telly I would have liked to see the episodes from the 60s, 70s and 80s. :)

EDIT: They appear to be on YouTube... excellent.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Star Trek Discovery S2
Good Omens
Chernobyl
Years & Years
Gentleman Jack
Ripper Street S4
Better Call Saul S4
Gotham S4
Lee & Dean
Go 8 Bit
Taskmaster S4
Fleabag S2
What We Do In The Shadows
Dead Pixels
Don't Forget The Driver

It's a wonder I have time to work.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Mr Zebra and I aren't great telly-watchers nowadays (cos it's mostly crap :omr:) but t'other week we stumbled upon Vera which is a very likeable detective drama series, set in Newcastle / Northumberland with very nice scenery I must say. And the refreshing thing is, it's not gory. No over-the-top shots of gruesome dead bodies like so many shows seem to have.

Yes, we realise the show's been going for years and we've only just discovered it, but that's kinda par-for-the-course in the Zebra household. :)
Zebra- You may like the 'Talking pictures channel' (81 on freeview). It's about the only thing I find worth watching these days (apart from Inspector Montalbano of course). Some great old films on there from the 1920s up to the 80s, and certainly ones they would never show on other channels. They often have the old 'public info' films from the 50s/60s on as well. Some good shots of how our towns and cities were back then. One on early this week called 'The Other Man' about how to be a good driver. Very interesting (and funny). There was an episode on last evening from 'Shadows,' a 1970s mystery series. This one was called 'The Waiting Room' with a young Jenny Agutter. (I know you like your time-slips).
https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Well, Neil was on 63 Up, and seems to be settled dividing his time between England and France. He got married too. But they're separated because his mental illness put such a strain on the relationship. But he is still alive! Also nice to see the two children's home survivors are still in touch and still great friends.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Watched the end of The Virtues. Not exactly a barrel of laughs, but seemed to be warning against the temptation of revenge. Bleak, but slightly optimistic in a way. Kind of an abrupt ending. Stephen Graham was remarkable, and Niamh Algar is a real discovery.

Well, Neil was on 63 Up, and seems to be settled dividing his time between England and France. He got married too. But they're separated because his mental illness put such a strain on the relationship. But he is still alive! Also nice to see the two children's home survivors are still in touch and still great friends.
Grand. Ta muchly. I won't get to see it until later in 't year.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Sadly I slept so badly last night I fell asleep 10 minutes into Johanna Konta's semifinal. But from what I've read, she got the jitters on the big points and lost in two sets.

Wimbledon soon! In the meantime I'll have a look on Walter on All4 and see if there are any interesting European dramas.

And catch up on Family Guy and Pointless, of course. And Countdown.

Exotic tastes, me!

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient

Vera is a lovely detective series, somewhere between Father Brown and Lewis, and as you say never wandering very far into the distressing worlds of Wire in the Blood or Criminal Minds. I love detective TV shows and Vera was very much one of my favourite discoveries. It was created by the same woman who created Shetland.

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
The third episode of VIctorian Sensations. Presented by Phillippa Perry, it is focussed on the SPR and the Victorian interest in the paranormal. It is one of those programmes that feels as if it were made specifically for me!