What TV Are You Watching?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Sadly I slept so badly last night I fell asleep 10 minutes into Johanna Konta's semifinal. But from what I've read, she got the jitters on the big points and lost in two sets.

Wimbledon soon! In the meantime I'll have a look on Walter on All4 and see if there are any interesting European dramas.

And catch up on Family Guy and Pointless, of course. And Countdown.

Exotic tastes, me!
Jo did well in both sets - until it got to crunch time and she faltered badly. She needs to do something about that. But congratulations to Ash Barty - there ain't no Barty like an Ashleigh Barty! First Aussie winner of the French since the 1970s, but with the women's game at the moment, the stars are rising and falling with no consistency. She should be able to prevail with those skills, but who knows?

Anyway, the real nailbiter was Novak vs Thiem, it was on a knife edge all five sets, even with the interruptions. Novak playing his usual psychological games, but they didn't work this time! So glad to see Dominic get through, even if he has next to no chance against Nadal on clay. But stranger things have happened. Just have to hope the weather improves.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Ah, Killing Eve back and it was like it had never been away, funny, suspenseful, even disturbing. Great stuff, I don't usually fall for these things but it's so well done I can't resist. Now to wonder if I binge the box set on iPlayer or watch it one episode a week...

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Saw the first two new episodes of Black Mirror, wasn't impressed. The third though, I liked that. Techy was impressed when I identified the song after one line.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Forgot to mention: Fiona Shaw giving Barbara Flynn a friendly little slap on the face in tonight's Killing Eve was a brilliant little character bit! Really made me laugh.

Saw the first two new episodes of Black Mirror, wasn't impressed. The third though, I liked that. Techy was impressed when I identified the song after one line.
Still haven't seen the third episode but I was also underwhelmed by the first two.
Just watched the first one and think this show is in decline.

Last night I finished watching the French crime series, Zone Blanche - and, despite some early reservations, I thoroughly enjoyed it: spooky, atmospheric, handsomely shot, amazing scenery. A range of possible influences: maybe a bit of Coen brothers, some Twin Peaks, and a dose of the almost inevitable Scandi style darkness (but as clichés go, I really quite like that one - and the densely forested landscape lends itself naturally). Much more in the vein of a Fred Vargas novel than your average policier. In fact the style, atmosphere and subject matter reminded me so much of Vargas that I had check out for myself that she wasn’t involved in the making (and anyone who likes both crime fiction and weird shit and who hasn’t already heard of Fred Vargas should maybe look her up).

The individual episode length stories are more or less real-world, but there’s an overarching and interconnecting one that is potentially otherworldly (a potential which ramps up as the series continues) as well as a dash of the unheimlich running through the whole process – it’s a mix of worldly and uncanny that I’ve always found really attractive, and which strikes me as more truly Fortean in tone than more obviously supernaturally centred fiction. I won’t go into any more detail – but I’ll whet the appetite with a few little trigger references: a dying town; the mountains; the forest (lots of it); corvus corone (lots of them); Cernunnos!

Okay, it has its issues - including a dose of the Silent Witless stupids when it comes to things technical - evidenced for example by the incredibly short time it takes for a DNA sample to be processed, and the fact that the local doctor also happens to be a pathologist with a fully equipped lab – despite being in a rundown and apparently sparsely populated timber town at the back end of nowhere. But, despite this, and a few other niggles, within the parameters of the world created by the makers, it all kind of makes sense; the teasing ‘is this supernatural – is it real – is it both’ storyline is sustained well, and the pagan element dealt with in a gratifyingly non sensational way - the associated imagery is striking and sometimes quite beautiful, but without being reduced to the visual hysteria which attends so many outings into the uncanny.

It’s on Amazon prime as Black Spot – if you have access I’d suggest it might not be a waste of your time to give it a go.
Black Spot (ZONE BLANCHE) now on Netflix - Season two coming very soon.

Interesting contradiction between 'black spot' and 'zone blanche' there.
Yes, we had this discussion last year - I'm not sure if it was on this thread, or elsewhere.

What looks like a possible mistranslation is actually the result of different local definitions of what in English we might also call a blind spot.

Edit: This is a note from the Wiki page:

While the French series title is, Zone Blanche, which literally translates to English as "white zone" or "white spot" or "white region", is actually an expression meant refer to a "dead zone," which describes the cellular dead zone of the setting

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Zebra- You may like the 'Talking pictures channel' (81 on freeview). It's about the only thing I find worth watching these days (apart from Inspector Montalbano of course). Some great old films on there from the 1920s up to the 80s, and certainly ones they would never show on other channels. They often have the old 'public info' films from the 50s/60s on as well. Some good shots of how our towns and cities were back then. One on early this week called 'The Other Man' about how to be a good driver. Very interesting (and funny). There was an episode on last evening from 'Shadows,' a 1970s mystery series. This one was called 'The Waiting Room' with a young Jenny Agutter. (I know you like your time-slips).
https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/
Oh yes thanks :D, we already know about that channel - it's pretty much the only telly channel we watch regularly and we always have a good backlog of stuff on the freesat box that we've recorded from it. The public info films are brilliant.

We've kinda missed it for the past couple of weeks though so some of the stuff you've listed (The Other Man and The Waiting Room) I'm disappointed that we've missed, but the good thing about this channel is that stuff gets repeated from time to time so we'll look out for them.

We've spent the last few days watching all of the 'UP' series on youtube, in order... just finished '63 up' this morning! We intended just to watch the 60s and 70s ones for the old footage, but right from the get-go we were intrigued when we realised how likeable some of the kids depicted, were (from the first episode we'd picked out our 'favourites' and our 'least favourites').

So it was very interesting to watch all of them grow up (extremely fast as we watched it at 7x speed rather than every 7 years!)

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Oh yes thanks :D, we already know about that channel - it's pretty much the only telly channel we watch regularly and we always have a good backlog of stuff on the freesat box that we've recorded from it. The public info films are brilliant.

We've kinda missed it for the past couple of weeks though so some of the stuff you've listed (The Other Man and The Waiting Room) I'm disappointed that we've missed, but the good thing about this channel is that stuff gets repeated from time to time so we'll look out for them.

We've spent the last few days watching all of the 'UP' series on youtube, in order... just finished '63 up' this morning! We intended just to watch the 60s and 70s ones for the old footage, but right from the get-go we were intrigued when we realised how likeable some of the kids depicted, were (from the first episode we'd picked out our 'favourites' and our 'least favourites').

So it was very interesting to watch all of them grow up (extremely fast as we watched it at 7x speed rather than every 7 years!)
I've been watching the 'Public Eye' series with Alfred Burke and enjoyed the 'Callan' series too. It's amazing how much smoking and drinking everyone did back then (fair play to them I say). The 'Shadows' series I mentioned, (the waiting room) is more aimed at early teens, but it's still fun to watch if you have children and/or for the nostalgia factor (depending on your age) and for seeing actors when they were younger.
I am aware of the 'Up' series, but I haven't seen it in a long time. I should revisit it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I've been watching the 'Public Eye' series with Alfred Burke and enjoyed the 'Callan' series too.
I remember watching Public Eye. Some of the filming was done near where I lived.
I just looked on Youtube for an episode, and the first one I came up with was this:
In the first few minutes, he mentions getting beaten up in my home town (Ascot). Made me laugh a bit, because I couldn't recall anything like that happening in Ascot until Tommy Robinson went there recently.
I remember back in the 70s, we went past a cottage next to my Mum's church and saw them filming an episode there. The film crew and actors spent part of the day in the pub next door (this pub is now sadly closed).

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
I remember watching Public Eye. Some of the filming was done near where I lived.
I just looked on Youtube for an episode, and the first one I came up with was this:
In the first few minutes, he mentions getting beaten up in my home town (Ascot). Made me laugh a bit, because I couldn't recall anything like that happening in Ascot until Tommy Robinson went there recently.
I remember back in the 70s, we went past a cottage next to my Mum's church and saw them filming an episode there. The film crew and actors spent part of the day in the pub next door (this pub is now sadly closed).
That's great.
Did you live there when John Lennon lived at Tittenhurst (stop sniggering at the back) where the Beatles did their last photo shoot?

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
I never saw him or Ringo.
But we did see his car (the brightly coloured Rolls Royce).
Oh, excellent! I envy you!

On the subject of films, there is a great site here you, or any film buffs may like; https://www.reelstreets.com/ -showing 'then and now' stills from hundreds of films. Quite a few of Ascot and surrounds. Of course, lots were filmed down your neck of the woods.

On the subject of films, there is a great site here you, or any film buffs may like; https://www.reelstreets.com/ -showing 'then and now' stills from hundreds of films. Quite a few of Ascot and surrounds. Of course, lots were filmed down your neck of the woods.
The Whippit Inn, a site documenting the Carry On films has a very interesting 'then and now' filming locations section.

http://thewhippitinn.com/carry_on_film_locations/

I find them fascinating, thanks for the link.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

I think my Dad may have seen John and Yoko, because he travelled that way for his work. He didn't pay much attention, because - not his musical era.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Jo did well in both sets - until it got to crunch time and she faltered badly. She needs to do something about that. But congratulations to Ash Barty - there ain't no Barty like an Ashleigh Barty! First Aussie winner of the French since the 1970s, but with the women's game at the moment, the stars are rising and falling with no consistency. She should be able to prevail with those skills, but who knows?

Anyway, the real nailbiter was Novak vs Thiem, it was on a knife edge all .all five sets, even with the interruptions. Novak playing his usual psychological games,
Jo has a fantastic game, but she always seems to fall apart on the big points. If it wasn't for that, she'd be making Grand Slam finals.

The women's game just seems so unpredictable at the moment.

Novak just annoys me with his incessant ball bouncing and shenanigans. I can barely stand to watch the guy.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Novak just annoys me with his incessant ball bouncing and shenanigans. I can barely stand to watch the guy.
Amen, brother, the only reason I watch Novak now is if there's a good chance he'll lose. He doesn't wear success lightly.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
We're bingeing Summer Of Rockets. One of the best things I've ever seen. Set in 1958, when I was born!

Brilliant characters, twists, gorgeous locations, interesting vehicles, beautiful fashions, intrigue, all sorts. If I were reading it in a book I'd be turning the pages too fast and missing the last paragraph.

Highly recommended.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Yeah, a friend of mine recommended Summer of Rockets, but I just haven't got around to it. Supposed to be Poliakoff's best in years.

I was watching Mastermind, great final, really tense, enjoyed it - then there was a caption at the end dedicating it to one of the finalists.

Turns out he died a few days ago:
Hamish's story

In a slightly Fortean coincidence he apparently would have loved, this final, which had been scheduled far in advance, went out on the day of his funeral. RIP, he was a good contestant, and came across like a stand-up chap.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
After that I watched Katie Puckrik's new two-part BBC4 documentary on Yacht Rock, a term I have only ever heard her use, but was repeated by a whole bunch of interviewees about a million times in the first ten minutes on this show. Anyway, it was great, I loved her observations on America in the 1970s and the effect of Southern California on the popular music, she really should be on TV more (not just talking about perfume or whatever she usually does).

It's funny, nobody mentioned this on the doc, but it did make me think I prefer yacht rock to prog rock, even though they're not a million miles away. 1980s next week!

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
After that I watched Katie Puckrik's new two-part BBC4 documentary on Yacht Rock, a term I have only ever heard her use, but was repeated by a whole bunch of interviewees about a million times in the first ten minutes on this show. Anyway, it was great, I loved her observations on America in the 1970s and the effect of Southern California on the popular music, she really should be on TV more (not just talking about perfume or whatever she usually does).

It's funny, nobody mentioned this on the doc, but it did make me think I prefer yacht rock to prog rock, even though they're not a million miles away. 1980s next week!
I was going to watch that but missed it. I'll catch it on I-player.
(I too had never heard the term 'Yacht Rock' until this week.)

escargot

Beloved of Ra
We're watching the first episode of Wild Bill. It's OK, but I'm too fascinated by Rob Lowe's so obviously fixed face to take much notice of anything else. Do people really think they look young when they do that, I wonder?