What TV Are You Watching?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Julian Barratt just great in Killing Eve last night. "Hottie botty?" Heh. Pity it was only a guest appearance.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Should have mentioned this last Monday, but is anyone else watching Year of the Rabbit on Channel 4? If you're missing Matt Berry from What We Do in the Shadows, he stars in this too (hope he's not spreading himself too thin), and it's quite funny, but I haven't been rolling around at it yet. Anyway, on tonight at ten. Sort of a Victorian conspiracy thing with masses of swearing.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
There's a programme just starting on Talking Pictures TV channel - "Rumple of the Bailey". Never seen it before but it looks suitably old (and had a cool Thames TV ident at the beginning) so I'm gonna give it a whirl.

EDIT: Twas somewhat boring so I probably won't bother watching it again.

Last edited:

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Looking forward to BBC2's coverage of the Eastbourne Tennis Tournament next week.

It used to be female players only but now men play too. But I believe the Beeb only has the rights to show the women's games.

Fine by me, as I prefer the women's games anyway. Few things more boring than watching two 7 ft tall guys constantly firing aces at each other.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
That's
There's a programme just starting on Talking Pictures TV channel - "Rumple of the Bailey". Never seen it before but it looks suitably old (and had a cool Thames TV ident at the beginning) so I'm gonna give it a whirl.

That's Rumpole of the Bailey, a series based on novels by the great John Mortimer.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
And starring the brilliant Leo McKern.
You know, I don't believe I've seen him in anything else. I recognised a couple of people; Leslie Phillips (always recognisable) and Patricia Hodge (she was in an episode of The Professionals). Might have been a couple of other familiar faces but I couldn't place 'em.

Maybe I'm just not in concentrating mood for something like that today. It's usually the sort of stuff I do like.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
You know, I don't believe I've seen him in anything else. I
IIRC he was in the last two episodes of the excellent 60s TV series The Prisoner. (Used to have a really decent DVD box set of that series but had to flog it when my pet rat needed to go to the vet.)

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre

It's funny you've mention this! I have always been aware of Rumpole, but as far as I can remember, had never watched it until I came across it last week (not on Talking Pictures, but one of those weird channels- 'True Entertainment' I think it was). It was great to pass an hour and it was interesting to hear someone (Patricia Hodge's character) mentioning 'Global Warming' all those years ago- (I think the episode was from the late 80s/early90s). Coincidentally, Leo McKern is in an old film right this minute (in UK), called 'The Day the Earth Caught Fire' 1961 on T/P.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Second series of extremely Fortean French thriller Zone Blanche aka "Black Spot" now available on Netflix or Amazon.

Jumped from 53 BC to today, with grisly killings in both time zones. The finger of suspicion is pointing increasingly at the horned Celtic deity Cernunos.

Very weird, unsettling and compelling.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
IIRC he was in the last two episodes of the excellent 60s TV series The Prisoner. (Used to have a really decent DVD box set of that series but had to flog it when my pet rat needed to go to the vet.)
And some earlier ones as well.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
I remember when summer used to be a time of crap tv, but i seem to have so much lined up at the moment.

killing eve (bbc1 pace)
Agents of shield s6 (c4 pace, tbh i think its had its day but its entertaining enough so i'll stick with it)
The handmaids tale (c4 pace)
catch 22 starts this evening.
what we do in the shadows (finished this week. recommended on catch up)
the looming tower on bbc 2 (nearly finished i think)
supergirl, the flash and arrow on assorted channels.

i record this stuff and watch when i'm ready, but god no wonder i don't get anything done!

not to mention a load of stuff as just appeared on amazon and netflix that i want to watch, plus older stuff i'm already part way through watching.

gah!

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Most Haunted (silly)
Elementary (better than I expected)
(both on Prime)
Walks with my Dog (All4) (lovely people with lovely dogs in lovely countryside - what's not to love?)
I'm skipping between them but enjoying myself very much.

I'm also looking forward to the new series of Who Do Yo Think You Are which is going to include Paul Merton; this is quite extraordinary to me as he doesn't usually seem like the kind of guy that would do such a programme. It also will include Jack Whitehall and his dad, Michael - that's going to be very entertaining! In fact, I think this next series of WDYTYA is going to be superb as it also has Kate WInslet and Dan Radcliffe. Perhaps the Danny Dyer episode re-invigorated the series...

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
We're watching the first episode of Wild Bill. It's OK, but I'm too fascinated by Rob Lowe's so obviously fixed face to take much notice of anything else. Do people really think they look young when they do that, I wonder?
Tom Cruise is looking a bit 'odd' these days. I know he's 57 now, but something not quite 'normal' about his face. (Sorry Tom if you're reading this. No offence mate. It still looks better than mine-and you've got more hair of course).

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Tom Cruise is looking a bit 'odd' these days. I know he's 57 now, but something not quite 'normal' about his face. (Sorry Tom if you're reading this. No offence mate. It still looks better than mine-and you've got more hair of course).
Tom cruise has defo had plastic surgery.

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
I find it hard to fathom that Tom Cruise is only a couple of years older than Keanu Reeves - they seem a generation apart.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Don't forget part two tonight.
I didn't forget! More great stuff, pity Christopher Cross refused to appear because he thought he would be made fun of, all they said was that he wasn't photogenic enough for MTV. Neither were Toto, really, and they sold millions! Those two Toto guys were interview gold, obviously delighted to be asked to chat and rolling out the anecdotes (I've never thought of Thriller as a Toto album, but they're all over it). Also liked seeing Jeffrey Osborne, a bit brief but he seemed like a good guy.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
I didn't forget! More great stuff, pity Christopher Cross refused to appear because he thought he would be made fun of, all they said was that he wasn't photogenic enough for MTV. Neither were Toto, really, and they sold millions! Those two Toto guys were interview gold, obviously delighted to be asked to chat and rolling out the anecdotes (I've never thought of Thriller as a Toto album, but they're all over it). Also liked seeing Jeffrey Osborne, a bit brief but he seemed like a good guy.
Yes the Toto guys were great to listen to!
Didn't know that about CC. He should have just done it.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Jodie Comer's Scottish accent on Killing Eve this week was flawless. She's the new Saoirse Ronan!