What TV Are You Watching?

Jodie Comer's Scottish accent on Killing Eve this week was flawless. She's the new Saoirse Ronan!
Ford Kiernan from Still Game is a Scot who can do a perfect North Eastern English accent. He did it in an episode of George Gently. Greg Hemphill, not so good.

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Jack Whitehall "Travels with my Father". The episode that I'm on they are in Cambodia and meeting a monk at Angkor Wat. Not entirely related, but it made me remember when I met a Buddhist monk who was in Oxford with the Dalai Lama. I went to the pub with a bunch of the monks (I worked with people closely involved with Nepal, I didn't just track them down!) and I got talking to one monk in that mad, intense way one does with a stranger. When it came time for him to leave, he gave me the best hug I have ever had; it at first was amazing just because of his physical strength, and then it simply exhuded warmth and kindness. I can picture me afterwards just brimful of glee; I know I didn't stop smiling for ages, till the Vesper martini kicked in!

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
I just need to get this off my chest....Graham Norton Show, Tom Hanks, Gwynth Paltrow, Tom Holland, Jake Gyllenhall. I have to accept that even in fantasy Tom Holland is my son for whom I hope the very best in love, Jake is the guy I wish were my partner but accept that my sister, Gwyneth, is with. And Tom Hanks is my forever partner. I might dream about Thor (the Ozziest Chris) but I am destined for a life of gentle happiness. I just need to find my real life Tom Hanks...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I was surprised how funny Jake was! His little looks and asides were really amusing.

Lizard King

Devoted Cultist
Just started watching Black Spot which looks promising. I have also been you tubing old programmes {getting nostalgic really is a part of getting older}I loved the old Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries the series with Sean Cassidy in it. Fantastic intro tune and brings back great memories!

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Romesh a sweetheart ?

I find he comes across as full of himself and rather arrogant.

INT21.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
My rage against the BBC continues so I got a free trial of Netflix for 30 days.
I mostly got it for Black Mirror Bandersnatch but ended up binging on Stranger Things. An excellent show which really captures the Spielberg vibe. Yes there’s influences from all over the place but that makes it a sugar rush on pick’n’mix but all the better for it. The pivotal child actors are really good and their characters are nicely drawn. I loved it and am now up to Ep3, Series 3.

I’ve also just finished the first series of Dirk Gently (the Elijah Wood version] and I loved that too. So I’ll stick with Netflix and try and work out if it’s possible to get out of the BBC’s telly tax.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I’ve also just finished the first series of Dirk Gently (the Elijah Wood version] and I loved that too. So I’ll stick with Netflix and try and work out if it’s possible to get out of the BBC’s telly tax.
It's not possible now, I think. It used to be the case that you could rip out the TV receiver circuitry and turn the telly into a monitor for video only, then the TV tax was neatly avoided. But I think they closed that loophole.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Catch-22. Read the book about a million times and was delighted to learn to was coming to TV.

As anyone who's read it knows, it starts off very funny and becomes darker and more, well, brutal.

There's one incident that was so shocking to read, I had to put the book down and process it before I could go on.

Last night we saw that incident in the series and to my surprise it brought tears to my eyes. Techy said 'Ah now y'see, it's post-traumatic stress, it'll do that!' Spot-on.

Last edited:

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Catch-22. Read the book about a million times and was delighted to learn to was coming to TV.

As anyone who's read it knows, it starts off very funny and becomes darker and more, well, brutal.

There's one incident that was so shocking to read, I had to put the book down and think process it before I could go on.

Last night was saw that incident in the series and to my surprise it brought tears to my eyes. Techy said 'Ah now y'see, it's post-traumatic stress, it'll do that!' Spot-on.
That’s actual traumatic stress. Not post.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
What We Do In The Shadows

Started watching the TV show, found out it was a spin-off from a movie, watched the movie tonight, then resumed the TV show at exactly the right point (episode 7) where the two cross-over.

It's brilliant, by the way. Watch it.

(Maybe start with the movie, it's on Prime. TV is on iPlayer)

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
I mostly got it for Black Mirror Bandersnatch but ended up binging on Stranger Things. An excellent show which really captures the Spielberg vibe. Yes there’s influences from all over the place but that makes it a sugar rush on pick’n’mix but all the better for it. The pivotal child actors are really good and their characters are nicely drawn. I loved it and am now up to Ep3, Series 3.

There are a couple of videos on this on youtube where the tv licence inspector comes to a house because the owner doesn't have a licence.
The owner says that they do not watch tv.
First thing is, is that it's not illegal to own a tv. You could have a hundred in your house. The inspector cannot come into your house as no crime has been committed. He'll say he/she is going to return with a copper, but they too cannot come in.
Also (according to some people), as you haven't ever entered into a contract with the BBC, they cannot make you pay for a licence.
This isn't what I say, but worth a look on youtube if you've got five minutes and/or are interested in the peculiarities of the law.

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre

There are a number of petitions on the Government web site relating to the BBC including abolition of the Royal Charter and various issues relating to the licence fee. But looking at the number of signatures they have attracted I do not see an appetite for change.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions?q=bbc&state=open

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
There are a couple of videos on this on youtube where the tv licence inspector comes to a house because the owner doesn't have a licence.
The owner says that they do not watch tv.
First thing is, is that it's not illegal to own a tv. You could have a hundred in your house. The inspector cannot come into your house as no crime has been committed. He'll say he/she is going to return with a copper, but they too cannot come in.
Also (according to some people), as you haven't ever entered into a contract with the BBC, they cannot make you pay for a licence.
This isn't what I say, but worth a look on youtube if you've got five minutes and/or are interested in the peculiarities of the law.
I know someone who hasn't had a TV for nearly fifteen years and he still gets hassle from the licensing people. It used to annoy him, at one stage he actually thought about getting a licence just to get some peace. He decided he had better things to do with his money and now he just laughs it off when an inspector is told that he is more than welcome to go into his house and look for a television and refuses to do so.

He said they just seem to go around in circles. They claim they want to resolve the matter and when given the chance to resolve it, they turn it down.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I know someone who hasn't had a TV for nearly fifteen years and he still gets hassle from the licensing people. It used to annoy him, at one stage he actually thought about getting a licence just to get some peace. He decided he had better things to do with his money and now he just laughs it off when an inspector is told that he is more than welcome to go into his house and look for a television and refuses to do so.

He said they just seem to go around in circles. They claim they want to resolve the matter and when given the chance to resolve it, they turn it down.
They must have changed policy.
20-odd years ago, I remember a friend telling me that she had a TV inspector trying to force his way past her into the house. She had to put her full weight behind the door to get it closed.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
They must have changed policy.
20-odd years ago, I remember a friend telling me that she had a TV inspector trying to force his way past her into the house. She had to put her full weight behind the door to get it closed.
They need a warrant to gain entry but in order to get one, they have to prove that the occupier is watching television broadcasts. I think the fact they were invited in to check was probably enough to convince them there wasn't a telly in the house.

Ladyloafer

Ephemeral Spectre

huh. i've had Dirk Gently on My Watch List for ages and i never realised elijah woods was in it!

i love netflix, i think its well worth the money. the algorithm does offer me up some strange crud at times, so its well worth having a rummage.

please no spoilers of stranger things s3! its only just launched and some of us haven't watched it yet!

depending on what type of thing you like, obviously, i'd recommend The Umbrella Academy, Ozark, The OA.

they also do end up with quite a lot of former uk broadcast tv- lots of cop drama type thing- so if you did end up with doing away with tv, you can still often get the mainstream stuff eventually.

i've also enjoyed quite a few light, girly, netflix made films, that wouldn't be out of place on daytime afternoon telly, but thats just me! i can make suggestions!

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
the whether you need a tv license question...

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ104

however its still not fully clear. would they have to prove you have been watching broadcast bbc? or would you have to prove you haven't?
I admit I have hacked the BBC one player to watch What We Do In The Shadows and the upcoming Poldark season. My UK virtual self lives in Wolverhampton.