What TV Are You Watching?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
They need a warrant to gain entry but in order to get one, they have to prove that the occupier is watching television broadcasts. I think the fact they were invited in to check was probably enough to convince them there wasn't a telly in the house.
Also, if the address has no TV licence and the inspectors arrive, whoever is watching TV can be summonsed.

When I worked at the Magistrates' Courts I saw a girl of 16 brought to court for not having a TV licence. She'd been babysitting when the householders were out and admitted to the inspectors that she was watching TV, with no knowledge of whether there was a licence or not.

I saw her waiting to go into court and as she looked so young I popped over to Youth Justice to get her some advice.

Turned out that she was liable for the fine and costs. Dunno how much it all came to but she didn't look like she had a bean!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Also, if the address has no TV licence and the inspectors arrive, whoever is watching TV can be summonsed.

When I worked at the Magistrates' Courts I saw a girl of 16 brought to court for not having a TV licence. She'd been babysitting when the householders were out and admitted to the inspectors that she was watching TV, with no knowledge of whether there was a licence or not.

I saw her waiting to go into court and as she looked so young I popped over to Youth Justice to get her some advice.

Turned out that she was liable for the fine and costs. Dunno how much it all came to but she didn't look like she had a bean!
Hold on there... that doesn't sound fair at all. The owners or tenants are the ones who should be prosecuted, surely?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
huh. i've had Dirk Gently on My Watch List for ages and i never realised elijah woods was in it!

i love netflix, i think its well worth the money. the algorithm does offer me up some strange crud at times, so its well worth having a rummage.

please no spoilers of stranger things s3! its only just launched and some of us haven't watched it yet!

depending on what type of thing you like, obviously, i'd recommend The Umbrella Academy, Ozark, The OA.

they also do end up with quite a lot of former uk broadcast tv- lots of cop drama type thing- so if you did end up with doing away with tv, you can still often get the mainstream stuff eventually.

i've also enjoyed quite a few light, girly, netflix made films, that wouldn't be out of place on daytime afternoon telly, but thats just me! i can make suggestions!
No spoilers on Stranger Things but I have to say I’m loving Dirk Gently a lot more.

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine

Clearly, she should have eaten the TV.
images.jpeg

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I'm binge-watching The Good Place and it's a pretty good series in tuning my moral compass and I've been enjoying the show.
I've been onto the outdoor set of this show, where many of the frozen yoghurt shops are. Also the little grassy town square that appears now & again. It's used in lots of t.v shows and movies. Unfortunately, I did not see Kristen Bell the day I was there.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
I've been onto the outdoor set of this show, where many of the frozen yoghurt shops are. Also the little grassy town square that appears now & again. It's used in lots of t.v shows and movies. Unfortunately, I did not see Kristen Bell the day I was there.
it does look very much like a 'disneyland-esque' set i've seen on numerous USA tv shows from ncis to star trek. where is it?

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
is anyone watching Killing Eve (bbc broadcast speed)? am I the only one finding it really boring? theres only a couple of episodes left so i might as well stick it out, but i'm very disappointed.

i should love it; spy/crime hijinks, female led, euro-location hopping, completely bonkers...but its so 'meh',

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Still have last week's to catch up on, but I'm loving Killing Eve so far. Maybe it was the Scottish accent?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
it does look very much like a 'disneyland-esque' set i've seen on numerous USA tv shows from ncis to star trek. where is it?
It's on the Universal Studios backlot in Los Angeles. It's situated right next to the town square from the 'Back to the Future' films and at the top of the street and just around a slight corner is the original Psycho house (moved from it's original location) which is across the road from the Munster's house.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Perusing youtube on our freesat box this morning, a new programme was being suggested on the front page:

The Prisoner. Heard of it but had never watched it before so we decided to give it a whirl...

... we've now watched two episodes. Wonderfully 60s and brilliant :)

I am not a number.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Perusing youtube on our freesat box this morning, a new programme was being suggested on the front page:

The Prisoner. Heard of it but had never watched it before so we decided to give it a whirl...

I am not a number.
You are a free… Zebs!

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6

I am not a number.

What the actual fuck? You’ve never seen The Prisoner?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

I am not a number.
You can visit the location in Wales. Took my family there years ago.

Schrodinger's Zebra

What the actual fuck? You’ve never seen The Prisoner?
Nope :) You'd probably be surprised at the programmes/films I've never seen. Other people usually are!

You can visit the location in Wales. Took my family there years ago.
Wow that village location is in Wales? I'd love to visit it! I imaged, it was somewhere... Mediterranean, y'know.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Nope :) You'd probably be surprised at the programmes/films I've never seen. Other people usually are!

Wow that village location is in Wales? I'd love to visit it! I imaged, it was somewhere... Mediterranean, y'know.
The style is famously 'Italianate' so you're spot-on!

You should visit, you'd love it. The whole area is beautiful.

(On a nearby beach my four kids and I were very nearly cut off by the speeding tide. We were OK, just wet feet, but a week later a man from the next town to ours was drowned while saving a couple of children who'd been swept away. Treacherous.)

Schrodinger's Zebra

The style is famously 'Italianate' so you're spot-on!

You should visit, you'd love it. The whole area is beautiful.

(On a nearby beach my four kids and I were very nearly cut off by the speeding tide. We were OK, just wet feet, but a week later a man from the next town to ours was drowned while saving a couple of children who'd been swept away. Treacherous.)
We've discussed North Wales as somewhere we really ought to get around to visiting so we could hopefully incorporate Portmeirion into such a trip. It would be quite something to walk around the same place that the programme was filmed.

Crikey you had a lucky escape there, shame for the other man though. :(

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We've discussed North Wales as somewhere we really ought to get around to visiting so we could hopefully incorporate Portmeirion into such a trip. It would be quite something to walk around the same place that the programme was filmed.

Crikey you had a lucky escape there, shame for the other man though. :(
North Wales is on our doorstep and we often go cycling along the coast there. Can recommend it. Conwy is fabulous, we love it there.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I went to a wedding at Portmeirion and as a Prisoner fan it was brilliant to spend time in a room in The Village.
I set off from the Midlands after work on friday night and wanted to get there for check in and last orders so I was rattling around the hills and tight bends to get there.
The wedding was great and we had the place to ourselves before the tourists arrived at around eleven. We were posing for the photos as they got in and they were all lined up at the top taking pictures of us.

Equally great was the fact that in the muddy estuary beside the location, someone had gone to a lot of trouble to draw a huge cock that must have been a hundred feet long, yet still quite anatomically accurate in the mud.

Anyway, I reckon it’s one of the most fantastic and bizarre places in the UK. A top folly. Tiny but if you’ve seen The Prisoner, it’s all still the same.

Driving back in the daytime, those hills I rattled around in the dark had sheer drops with just a bit of barbed wire to stop the sheep from tumbling to their deaths.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Chernobyl - a new miniseries
Very good. Very very good.

Also started on s3 of Stranger Things. Winona is still hot. Not sure I like the goofy chuckles vibe in e1, but sure the darknesses are just around the corner.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Chernobyl - a new miniseries
Very good. Very very good.

Also started on s3 of Stranger Things. Winona is still hot. Not sure I like the goofy chuckles vibe in e1, but sure the darknesses are just around the corner.
Just started watching this as well. I lived through the 80's it wasn't that Flashy. I thought it was some sort of dream episode.