What TV Are You Watching?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Just watched Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau on Prime which deals with the production of Stanley's version of the H.G. Well's novel. What a time they had - Stanley ended up being replaced by John Frankenheimer, problems with Brando and Kilmer, bad weather and all sorts of mayhem. It's a miracle they managed to actually finish the film.
That film would be a lot funnier were it not for the haunted visage of Fairuza Balk, who in her interview seems genuinely traumatised by the memory of the madness.

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
Just finished watching the 2nd series of Mindhunter on Netflix. Dark, dark stuff but a great TV show. Not sure if I enjoyed the ending but I suppose it is based on a true story so they held true to reality.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Fargo S1-3, for the third time. There's more each view, but I think I've worn it out now. Fantastic television. I think we can designate it an 'expanded universe' now in the Star Wars sense, yes?

Started on The Expanse. Not grabbing me much. I admit to having a solid prejudice against pretty american actors (apart from the one in my avy, heh), so I'll stick with it until substance or not. Pretty corny acting.

Also going back to finish Penny Dreadful. Anybody finish with that one? I enjoyed the first series a lot.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Fargo S1-3, for the third time. There's more each view, but I think I've worn it out now. Fantastic television. I think we can designate it an 'expanded universe' now in the Star Wars sense, yes?

Started on The Expanse. Not grabbing me much. I admit to having a solid prejudice against pretty american actors (apart from the one in my avy, heh), so I'll stick with it until substance or not. Pretty corny acting.

Also going back to finish Penny Dreadful. Anybody finish with that one? I enjoyed the first series a lot.
The Fargo series is great. But then I've always had a thing for Kirsten Dunst.
Just finished G.L.O.W now onto the final series of Orange Is The New Black (both on Netflix).

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
I've always had a thing for Kirsten Dunst.
Yeah. That. Her performance wasn't quite up to the level of sociopathy the character deserved for mine. Just my feeling, but she was very good anyway. I might have gone for Saoirse Ronan, had she been a bit older at the time. Patrick Wilson was excellent, as was Danson, and just everyone really. The casting was pretty much spot on through all three series'. If anybody out there hasn't seen them, do so. They're brilliant.

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
Fargo S1-3, for the third time...

Fargo is amazing. Penny Dreadful was hard to finish, the 2nd series dragged on a bit and didn't really match up to the 1st.

Yeah. That. Her performance wasn't quite up to the level of sociopathy the character deserved for mine. Just my feeling, but she was very good anyway.
I can't watch Kirsten Dunst without thinking of something I read ages ago. When shes looking at a co-actor, close-up, she looks from one of their eyes to the other. That is, she looks at their left eye and then right and then back to left etc. It's quite distracting once you notice it.

Lots of hype about that. What's it like?
My wife (and therefore I) watch Orange is the new Black. It's OK but don't expect any great drama, tension or acting. It's an adult soap opera with female cons. Lots of flashbacks, quite quirky story lines and a lots of bare breasts. Think "Prisoner Cell Block H" with updated storylines and tits.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Finished Discovery S2 last night - I had to keep reminding myself that it was a TV show. The effects in the series have been incredible.

Regardless of effects, it was a great run and the ending was very satisfying. Not saying any more cos spoilers.

Just finished watching the 2nd series of Mindhunter on Netflix. Dark, dark stuff but a great TV show. Not sure if I enjoyed the ending but I suppose it is based on a true story so they held true to reality.
It was pretty disturbing, especially the ending. The Klan might have been responsible for some of te killings but it does lok as if there wre other serial killers at work in Atlanta.

The Charles Mansion and Tex Watson bits were interesting, sowing doubt about the Family master plan. Damon Herriman who plays Manson in Manhunter also portrays him in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Manhunter gives him a lot more screen time.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Lots of hype about that. What's it like?
Excellent. A good blend of pathos & comedy, some of it very dark. It can be brutal and it touches on some uncomfortable subjects at times, but the characters drip with humanity and they're all likable in their own way, even the dislikable ones.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I can't watch Kirsten Dunst without thinking of something I read ages ago. When shes looking at a co-actor, close-up, she looks from one of their eyes to the other. That is, she looks at their left eye and then right and then back to left etc. It's quite distracting once you notice it.
There is nothing that would distract me if I knew the lovely Ms Dunst were looking at me, especially at close range.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
We’ve just watched the first episode of The Night Of. It’s all shaping up very well, but the mem and l are both incredulous about (a) how daft one man can be in a short space of time; and (b), the procedures adopted by the NYPD.

Still, it’s probably all required by the plot. Time will tell.

maximus otter

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Just watched Adult Wednesday Addams on youtube.

Very short films adding up to about half an hour.

Grown up wednesday addams moves to LA and negotiates cat-callers, hipsters and driving lessons.

Sadly the estate of Charles addams made her stop making these. They should've cashed in.

Also on a personal note, grown up wednesday looks a lot like greta sunberg (it's the braids) so I'd really like to think this is basically how greta behaves- which would be no bad thing!

Stringtheory

Small Lifeform in a Vast Space
Lodge 49. California dreamy and lighthearted, yet with the sad edge of two siblings longing to reclaim some semblance of the idylic life they had before their father passed away. When Dud stumbles upon a member's ring from a social lodge, Lodge 49, the path to reclaiming his previous life appears to have be laid out before him. Simultaneously, for Lodge 49, the path to it's former greatness appears to have been laid out before them.

This is a weird and funny show with a subtle amount of Fortean strangeness thrown in. Well maybe. There seems to be quick glimpses of things beyond this plain of existence within the Lodge. Or are there? Well, that's one of the mysteries within the show, so I'll say no more.

The second season, or series as you say across the pond, is airing right now on AMC. The first season/series is available in many places online.

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
A friend of mine claims to have watched part of a documentary late at night recently when he got home from the pub in a state of some inebriation, which featured monkeys who had learned to ride horses.

Anyone else have the feeling that this "documentary" might have had Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowall in it?

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
I just watched a murder series set in the columbian rainforest. The Green Frontier. It centers around a native tribe and is a bit fortean. Very sudden ending.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
A friend of mine claims to have watched part of a documentary late at night recently when he got home from the pub in a state of some inebriation, which featured monkeys who had learned to ride horses.

Anyone else have the feeling that this "documentary" might have had Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowall in it?
Not monkeys on horses but monkeys on dogs

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Monkey jockeys in dog races apparently started in the 1920's in Australia, then spread to the USA. It was a fad in the Florida greyhound racing scene before it faded out prior to WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_jockey

This 2018 online article provides an overview of the fad in Florida ...
Remember When Florida Dog Tracks Used Monkeys as Jockeys?

Almost 40 years ago, a query came into the Action Line, a long-gone Miami Herald column that pretty much played the role Google does today, answering obscure questions and giving out advice. The writer, "M. Weisbaum" of Plantation, had heard that dog-racing tracks once employed monkeys as jockeys. "This is too much," the November 3, 1981 letter said. "What about it, Action Line, true or untrue?"

The verdict: true. If it was hard to believe then, it's even harder to believe now. But way back in the '30s, monkeys in sequined pants and tiny hats clung to the backs of greyhounds on tracks across South Florida. With dog racing on its way out after Floridians voted this month to approve a statewide ban, the monkey jockeys will go down as one weird bit of history in the sport's nearly 100-year run in the Sunshine State.

It apparently started in January 1933, when six monkeys were brought from California for a series of special events at West Flagler Kennel Club. An article in the Herald announced the debut of the tiny jockeys under the headline Monkeys To Ride Dogs Wednesday Night at Flagler. ...

"They say the dogs don't need jockeys, but just the same we're going to see the monkeys up there riding for king and country," the article said, noting they would wear jockey uniforms and ride "just like little men." ...

The monkeys had been a hit when they were used as jockeys in California, where they were trained. They proved popular in Miami, too, filling the stands at tracks to capacity. Monkey riders also appearances in dog races in St. Petersburg, Palm Beach, and Jacksonville, according to newspaper archives.

Everyone involved insisted it was a blast for both the dogs and monkeys and not at all cruel to the animals.

"People all over the country loved to watch the animals. And the animals loved doing it!" gushed the announcer in an old video describing the strange attraction. "Their competitive spirit was intense."

It was so intense, in fact, that the monkeys had to be strapped onto the dogs. This was because they got so excited during tight races that they tried to tear the clothes off other monkeys and screamed while using their tails as whips, the video reported. Nope, no cruelty involved! ...

But the monkey jockeys ended up as just a passing fad. It's not totally clear what happened. A 1993 story in the Palm Beach Post quoted a longtime Palm Beach Kennel Club employee as saying that the "monkey races always used to draw a crowd. But the Humane Society put a stop to that.''

The Action Line reported that the Flagler Kennel Club discontinued the practice after "some people got upset because the monkeys looked as though they'd hightail it up the nearest tree if they weren't strapped in for the ride."

So, the monkey jockeys have been relegated to the annals of weird Florida and now mostly forgotten. By the end of 2020, greyhound racing will be gone altogether.
SOURCE: https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/monkeys-were-jockeys-at-dog-tracks-long-ago-10932811

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Just watched Adult Wednesday Addams on youtube.

Very short films adding up to about half an hour.

Grown up wednesday addams moves to LA and negotiates cat-callers, hipsters and driving lessons.

Sadly the estate of Charles addams made her stop making these. They should've cashed in.

Also on a personal note, grown up wednesday looks a lot like greta sunberg (it's the braids) so I'd really like to think this is basically how greta behaves- which would be no bad thing!
Wednesday Addams reminds me a bit of the woman I've recently hired .. she's 'effective' but I avoid her. *shudder*

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
apologies for going back a bit, but if you haven't, please watch Chernobyl...the final episode is worth every penny you have; the calmest, most devastating piece of TV I have ever seen

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
apologies for going back a bit, but if you haven't, please watch Chernobyl...the final episode is worth every penny you have; the calmest, most devastating piece of TV I have ever seen
That is if episode 4 doesn't reduce you to a sobbing blob of terror and woe.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Started watching the very noir German thriller Der Pass.
Two episodes in and similarities to the Fortean French thriller Zone Blanche are most evident.
Remote woodland, bizarre ritual murders being investigated by rather dysfunctional cops and our old friend Cernunnos may or may not be involved once more.
It all looks amazing in 4K. Well worth a look.