What TV Are You Watching?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Here's a TV question: what TV series have you seen every episode of? Your answer will be more impressive if it's something long-running like Dallas or News at Ten.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
There’s tons of series I’ve watched all the way through. Too many to mention in fact. I’ve been avidy watching TV since the sixties and as there weren’t box sets or binge watching you had to be sat in front of the box at the right time.

Notably, I stuck with LOST all the way through as the writers kept saying it wasn’t what I thought it was. At the end, it was exactly what I’d guessed after episode 2.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Notably, I stuck with LOST all the way through as the writers kept saying it wasn’t what I thought it was. At the end, it was exactly what I’d guessed after episode 2.
You must be in line for some sort of award. What was it in the end - all a dream? I didn't make it past about episode 3.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Yes, I watched all of Lost, loved it. Didn't even mind the ending that offended so many people, it was the journey I enjoyed.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Yeah, but the original Star Wars saga is all about teddy bears getting violent by that reductive thinking.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
M*A*S*H ran every Wednesday night at nine for the whole of the eighties on BBC2, and I too watched every episode. My friend got season 1 on DVD a few years ago, so I tried it and... didn't laugh once. Oh well, so much for nostalgia.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
M*A*S*H ran every Wednesday night at nine for the whole of the eighties on BBC2, and I too watched every episode. My friend got season 1 on DVD a few years ago, so I tried it and... didn't laugh once. Oh well, so much for nostalgia.
Started off well but those last few seasons when Alan Alda seemed to just blot out everything else killed the show off for me. Mclean Stevenson was excellent as was Larry Linville.

It's completely slated these days as racist, misogynistic, etc. Which I get but, it's M*A*S*H.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
It's completely slated these days as racist, misogynistic, etc. Which I get but, it's M*A*S*H.
Yup, that was the point, that people were trying to keep their dignity and humanity in the horrendous circumstances of war. We saw the best and the worst of them.
I did hate how Houlihan was treated though. The men could be as promiscuous as they liked but she was constantly mocked and bullied for having any kind of love-life. That's how it was then of course, but she really was the Miss Piggy of that show.

My friend got season 1 on DVD a few years ago, so I tried it and... didn't laugh once. Oh well, so much for nostalgia.
When it was on BBC 2 it had no canned laughter. The humour was intended to be wry rather than laugh-out-loud. MASH is not a comedy.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Some episodes were mindblowing t.v for the time. I have the collection on Blu Ray without the laugh track and it's very, very poignant.
The episode when Henry died, when Col Potter drank a toast to his dead comrades having outlived them all, when Radar went home and everything about the final episode.

dejanmikic

Ephemeral Spectre
Here's a TV question: what TV series have you seen every episode of?
Twin Peaks seasons 1 & 2
Game of Thrones
Only Fools and Horses
Men Behaving Badly
M.P.'s Flying Circus
Fawlty Towers
Peaky Blinders
Big Little Lies
Catastrophe
Stranger Things
Broadchurch
Sherlock
Fleabag
Sharp Objects....

once you put kids to bed there is only strength for watching 1-2 episodes of some series, not a full movie....

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Sapphire and Steel. Every episode as a kid. Not that long running though.This might be a random question and not sure if I asked before but did anyone watch and like Utopia, on channel 4?
Utopia. Watched but wouldn't say 'like' was the right word - C4 sometimes tried too hard.
Am I the only one who watched and liked The Fades on BBC3, it won a BAFTA so no chance of a second series.

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
once you put kids to bed there is only strength for watching 1-2 episodes of some series, not a full movie....
I agree completely even though it works out longer. Two episodes of GoT or Fargo (as we are now watching for a 2nd time) works out at 2 hours - about the same as watching a movie. But two episodes seems more manageable that committing to a whole movie. Strange.

Last edited:

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
Utopia. Watched but wouldn't say 'like' was the right word - C4 sometimes tried too hard.
Am I the only one who watched and liked The Fades on BBC3, it won a BAFTA so no chance of a second series.
I did like it but most of my friends didn't. Maybe the concept was what liked , there was good and not so good scenes in it. I didn't like some of the characters.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
I agree completely even though it works out longer. Two episodes of GoT or Fargo (as we are now watching for a 2nd time) works out at 2 hours - about the same as wtching a movie. But two episodes seems more manageable that committing to a whole movie. Strange.
I really liked Fargo!I'm not sure which series was my favourite.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Sapphire and Steel. Every episode as a kid. Not that long running though.This might be a random question and not sure if I asked before but did anyone watch and like Utopia, on channel 4?
I watched Utopia & liked it quite a lot. The first series was the best, had enough intrigue & weirdness quotient, the characters were good. Something about the way it was shot was different & interesting, colours accentuated, or maybe that was the drugs I was on. The soundtrack was good too as I recall.

2nd series not so good, can't remember much about that, even though I watched it. As is often the case, the writers find it hard to keep the thing going when required by popular demand.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
I watched Utopia & liked it quite a lot. The first series was the best, had enough intrigue & weirdness quotient, the characters were good. Something about the way it was shot was different & interesting, colours accentuated, or maybe that was the drugs I was on. The soundtrack was good too as I recall.

2nd series not so good, can't remember much about that, even though I watched it. As is often the case, the writers find it hard to keep the thing going when required by popular demand.
Yes I liked the concept of the comic holding secrets written by a mad scientist etc. I really liked Arby and Lee as the psychopathic hitmen. Colours and sound also great. I didn't like Wilson Wilson's transformation or how Arby became one of the good guys. Jessica Hyde was a bit irritating also. But overall I enjoyed the oddness of it all.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Yes I liked the concept of the comic holding secrets written by a mad scientist etc. I really liked Arby and Lee as the psychopathic hitmen. Colours and sound also great. I didn't like Wilson Wilson's transformation or how Arby became one of the good guys. Jessica Hyde was a bit irritating also. But overall I enjoyed the oddness of it all.
And the central idea of an airborne virus/pathogen being released with only a select few given the antidote was an interesting theme with echoes of chemtrail conspiracy theories.

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
I really liked Fargo!I'm not sure which series was my favourite.
We finished Series 1 last night. It was just as good as I remembered although some of the twists came back to me as we were watching. Lorne Malvo is the most wonderfully creepy and sinister character I have seen.

Postman: This is highly irregular.
Malvo: No, highly irregular is the time I found a human foot in a toaster over. This is just odd.

Cochise

Antediluvian
Cricket of course.

I've pretty much stopped watching TV drama because two series that I invested a lot of time and emotion in, Deadwood and Game of Thrones, had such disappointing endings - especially upsetting because of long delays in producing them

I don't think my unconscious wants me to get that disappointed again - it won't let me get involved in the same way any more, even though I've starting watching a few I've lost interest after a few episodes.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Cricket of course.

I've pretty much stopped watching TV drama because two series that I invested a lot of time and emotion in, Deadwood and Game of Thrones, had such disappointing endings - especially upsetting because of long delays in producing them

I don't think my unconscious wants me to get that disappointed again - it won't let me get involved in the same way any more, even though I've starting watching a few I've lost interest after a few episodes.
We're watching Temple. Well, two episodes so far. As everyone in it is on the make and looks likely to meet a sticky end, I'm not anticipating any disappointment!

I'd recommend The Sopranos on the same grounds. Very few characters are anything but criminals/twats and their problems are heartwarming to see. It's high black comedy. I personally GUARANTEE no disappointment.

Example - a Mob character is taught a lesson with a mock execution. He thinks he's being murdered about Matter A when it's actually Matter B, and he pleads for his life on the basis of remorse for Matter A.

This would be dangerous if the 'assassins' were English-speaking but as luck would have it they are foreigners and can't understand a word.
The gangster is so afraid he messes his pants, and the attackers sneer as one pulls the trigger.

Word gets out about his 'accident' and he has trouble living it down. Hilarious.

Last edited:

Cochise

Antediluvian
We're watching Temple. Well, two episodes so far. As everyone in it is on the make and looks likely to meet a sticky end, I'm not anticipating any disappointment!

I'd recommend The Sopranos on the same grounds. Very few characters are anything but criminals/twats and their problems are heartwarming to see. It's high black comedy. I personally GUARANTEE no disappointment.

Example - a Mob character is taught a lesson with a mock execution. He thinks he's being murdered about Matter A when it's actually Matter B, and he pleads for his life on the basis of remorse for Matter A.

This would be dangerous if the 'assassins' were English-speaking but as luck would have it they are foreigners and can't understand a word.
The gangster is so afraid he messes his pants, and the attackers sneer as one pulls the trigger.

Word gets out about his 'accident' and he has trouble living it down. Hilarious.
I know a bloke who was James Gandlfini's body double in the Sopranos. His day job is/was as a consultant in my product. New York based, of course. I haven't spoke to him in a couple of years - don't know if he is still working.

What I found so disappointing about the endings of the above two series is that carefully built up character arcs were just thrown away without logical justification. In GoT, people developed arbitrary superpowers as well.