What TV Are You Watching?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
The second series of an Aussie show called 'Mr Inbetween'. It's great. It's about your average knockabout kind of guy who works security at a pub/nightclub. He's got an ex wife, a daughter he's doing his best to raise, a new girlfriend and an ill brother who he cares for very much. Inbetween all of this, he moonlights as a hitman killing lowlifes, gang members and underworld criminals for cash.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Cricket of course.

I've pretty much stopped watching TV drama because two series that I invested a lot of time and emotion in, Deadwood and Game of Thrones, had such disappointing endings - especially upsetting because of long delays in producing them

I don't think my unconscious wants me to get that disappointed again - it won't let me get involved in the same way any more, even though I've starting watching a few I've lost interest after a few episodes.
Did you watch the Deadwood movie that tied everything up?

Cochise

Antediluvian
Did you watch the Deadwood movie that tied everything up?
I did. Although why that daft woman would make an exhibition of herself when one girl had already had to be killed for her is more than I could fathom. A bit like GoT, they tried to wrap everything up in far too short a time. But I must admit I could watch the Deadwood movie again but the last four episodes of GoT I simply cannot watch again. . Even the cast take the mickey out of them .

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Finished Fosse/Verdon. Reminded me that Alex Cox said Fosse's films are about death. Now he has a TV show about him that's about death as well. Could have done with more dancing, but fearsomely well acted and unsentimental.

Finished Fosse/Verdon. Reminded me that Alex Cox said Fosse's films are about death. Now he has a TV show about him that's about death as well. Could have done with more dancing, but fearsomely well acted and unsentimental.
Ever see All That Jazz, sort of autobiopic by Fosse, some great fantasy scenes with Roy Scheider as Joe Gideon (Fosse) and Jessica Lange as the Angel of Death.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Ever see All That Jazz, sort of autobiopic by Fosse, some great fantasy scenes with Roy Scheider as Joe Gideon (Fosse) and Jessica Lange as the Angel of Death.
"It's showtime, folks!" Not my favourite Fosse, it's basically his Can Heironymous Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?, only Oscar-nominated. But it does have a grim fascination (according to the TV show, he didn't help his relationships any by basically adapting his life). His last film, Star 80, got one caption - no wonder, you need an iron constitution to get through it, it's that grim.

"It's showtime, folks!" Not my favourite Fosse, it's basically his Can Heironymous Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?, only Oscar-nominated. But it does have a grim fascination (according to the TV show, he didn't help his relationships any by basically adapting his life). His last film, Star 80, got one caption - no wonder, you need an iron constitution to get through it, it's that grim.
I've watched episodes 1-4 so far and I've enjoyed them.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I've watched episodes 1-4 so far and I've enjoyed them.
I was sceptical until I reached episode 3 and then it started to grip me. I won't say any more for fear of spoilers (though you know how it'll end from the beginning, and it even keeps reminding you throughout).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Oh yeah, I will say though we see All That Jazz being filmed, or a recreation of it, sadly Sam Rockwell doesn't say "It's showtime folks!" and do the jazz hands. Apart from that, it was very good indeed.

Now let's have Newley/Collins.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Watching now the first episode of supernatural French thriller "Marianne" on Netflix.

Hints of Stephen King, The Omen, Twin Peaks, a hefty dose of visually stunning French Grand Guignol horror, some unsettling subliminal images and, incongruously, a few laugh-out-loud moments.

Not easy viewing, but could be destined to become a cult classic.

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Mary Poppins with Miss Yith, for the fourth time.

You know a film is good when your child wants to talk about it afterwards. She's told me all the things that she'd like to do if Mary Poppins came to our house and described her favourite scenes to her aunt.

While looking for some detail about the making of the film, I uncovered one quite horrific fact. This about David Tomlinson who memorably portrayed Mr Banks and was an RAF pilot during the War:

Tomlinson was first married to Mary Lindsay Hiddingh, daughter of L. Seton Lindsay, the vice president of the New York Life Insurance Company. She had been widowed in 1941 when her husband, Major A.G. Hiddingh, was killed in action, leaving her to care for their two young sons. Tomlinson married Mary in September 1943, but on 2 December 1943 she killed herself and her two sons in a murder-suicide by jumping from a hotel in New York City.
CONTEMPORARY ARTICLE ON THEIR DEATHS HERE:​
The actor who played Michael, his on-screen son, also died at the age of just twenty-one.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I watched the latest Bill Burr and Dave Chappelle specials on Netflix (I'd never seen anything by Burr before) and they were both funny.

Not really culturally incisive nor nearly as 'political' as the Yank reviewers seem to be shrieking, but well-written and clever in places.

And, above all, funny.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Earlier while taking a few minutes off I was watching 'Tears of a Crime' again, the Soham* episode.

It's about how murderers give themselves away in media interviews. Highly recommended.

*One of the mistakes the Soham offenders (only one did the murder, his partner helped conceal the crime) was to mention the girls in the past tense as if they knew they'd died. I'd seen that and thought 'Is that because she'd left the girls' school or because the girls are, y'know, dead?'

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The Ingmar Bergman doc on BBC 4. No two opinions on him were the same, and this is from those who met him, even knew him well. He was either a megalomaniac ego-monster or a deeply complex genius, or something in between. I'll say, just because you're a genius doesn't mean you're a nice person, but I did feel sorry for him in his last years where he basically exiled himself to a life of utter loneliness.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I'm enjoying 'Autopsy: The Last Hours of...', which explains the circumstances of the deaths of famous people. Fascinating to me.

The setting is of a pathologist giving a private talk about the incident, like a genial GP explaining why you've suddenly got piles.
Except it's not in a surgery but in a post-mortem room complete with a deceased subject under a sheet on a trolley in the background.

This detail had escaped me until just now, when I spotted it while listening hard to Dr. Richard Shepherd's description of the lethal cocktail of legal drugs found in the bloodstream of the late unfortunate Michael Jackson. I'll have to watch the other episodes now to see if my new friend turned up every week.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I caught an old episode of Tales From the Darkside which featured both Christian Slater as a teenager & Brent Spiner - Data from Star Trek - as an evangelical priest. He played it well. Not sure of the date, 70s or 80s. I saw one a while back featuring Debbie Harry.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I caught an old episode of Tales From the Darkside which featured both Christian Slater as a teenager & Brent Spiner - Data from Star Trek - as an evangelical priest. He played it well. Not sure of the date, 70s or 80s. I saw one a while back featuring Debbie Harry.
I saw that too.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
1984 A Case of the Stubborns. IMDB details here https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0716919/

hunck

Justified & Ancient
1984 A Case of the Stubborns. IMDB details here https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0716919/
That's the one. It's actually quite unpleasant - the grandfather decomposes & goes more & more rotten as it goes on. They eventually give him something to make him sneeze & he sneezes his face off leaving his nose & more in his handkerchief. That convinces him he's actually dead & he goes upstairs grudgingly.