What TV Are You Watching?

Dublin Murders - pretty good with elements of folk horror. BBC & RTE

Wu Assassin - akin to the more mystical elements of the Netflix Marvel series'. Netflix.

Name of the Rose - more time & space to fill in the background than the film had. BBC.

The Rook - good fantasy/spy stuff. Virgin.

michael59

Ephemeral Spectre
I'm really enjoying The Rookie. I was super impressed by the most recent episode.

A Million Little Things. Real tear jerker. lol

This Is Us. Another tear jerker.

Lots of half hour sit. coms. just to keep me laughing.

Not sure if it will be renewed for a second season but, I loved that new game show called, Hypnotize Me. Really funny. :)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Harry Hill's Clubnite on Channel 4 last night got next to no publicity, and I heard about it by chance, but I'm glad I did. It was very silly, but I laughed a lot, some bright new comedians on it as well as Harry, all on his wavelength too. It's on next Friday too - recommended if you want a chuckle.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Didn't realise The Magicians were now on Amazon Firestick, finished binge-watching Season 4. Blubbed during the musical number around the campfire in last episode.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We saw Ch 4's drama series The Accident. It's been roundly panned and I could see huge plot-holes but overall we enjoyed it, and the actual accident itself is spectacular.

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
I got excited to see that Fox and Canal Digitale have done a remake of "War of the Worlds". (Not the BBC remake which is coming soon.)

The first episode was slow, the second already repetitive and boring. I know that I've watched at least one more episode but I can't honestly say if I've watched 3 or 4 in total. It's basically Gabriel Byrne moping around and
shitty robot/cyborg dogs running around. It's basically been people walking around for 2 whole episodes. No proper aliens yet. No tripods. No massive DURRR or OO-LAA noises. Just metal dogs with Oscar Pistorious Blade-type legs.

I'm hoping the BBC version is better but I have a feeling that it's going to be all Doctor Who-ish and a bit "comic book". I want a proper adult version - not just a teen drama version. Anyone know when the BBC version is out?

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
I got excited to see that Fox and Canal Digitale have done a remake of "War of the Worlds". (Not the BBC remake which is coming soon.)

The first episode was slow, the second already repetitive and boring. I know that I've watched at least one more episode but I can't honestly say if I've watched 3 or 4 in total. It's basically Gabriel Byrne moping around and
shitty robot/cyborg dogs running around. It's basically been people walking around for 2 whole episodes. No proper aliens yet. No tripods. No massive DURRR or OO-LAA noises. Just metal dogs with Oscar Pistorious Blade-type legs.

I'm hoping the BBC version is better but I have a feeling that it's going to be all Doctor Who-ish and a bit "comic book". I want a proper adult version - not just a teen drama version. Anyone know when the BBC version is out?
First episode is on right now!

GNC

King-Sized Canary

See the H.G. Wells thread in Culture!

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I've been dipping into the Trump impeachment hearing - it's on Parliament channel. I watched a bit of the Vindman testimony yesterday. I'll say no more about it - don't want to stray into politics, but it's quite interesting to hear the opposing viewpoints - improper presidential actions versus nothing to see here.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
There was a documentary about Kes on BBC4 this week, presented by Greg Davies. He seemed unsure if anyone would take him seriously, so it has a jokey tone, but his love for the Barry Hines book it was based on won out, and by the end he was disarmingly sincere, it was a really heartwarming progression. And the kestrel they found for the doc was beautiful. Recommended.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Blacklist, Supernatural, Magnum PI, Evil, some of my regular US tv shows...but my favorite right now is the cable version of 'His Dark Materials'...from the Pullman books.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
There was a documentary about Kes on BBC4 this week, presented by Greg Davies. He seemed unsure if anyone would take him seriously, so it has a jokey tone, but his love for the Barry Hines book it was based on won out, and by the end he was disarmingly sincere, it was a really heartwarming progression. And the kestrel they found for the doc was beautiful. Recommended.
When I was a kid my mum took my brother and me to see two films at the cinema: Bedknobs and Broomsticks (with its German troops as the baddies) and Kes. To this very day I don't think I've recovered from that ending. I should tell Ken Loach that; I see him occasionally in Bath – at our local Coop or just in town.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Just finished watching, 'Who Do You Think You Are?', featuring Danny Dyer.

This episode has to be one of the most enthralling and extraordinary TV programs I have ever seen.

Can only highly recommend same - it's available on BBC iPlayer. :)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
When I was a kid my mum took my brother and me to see two films at the cinema: Bedknobs and Broomsticks (with its German troops as the baddies) and Kes. To this very day I don't think I've recovered from that ending. I should tell Ken Loach that; I see him occasionally in Bath – at our local Coop or just in town.
In retrospect it seems inevitable, but if you're not prepared for how it ends it's a real jolt. You can only hope it toughened the kid up for more knocks in life. But what an awful thing to happen.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Vic & Bob's Big Night Out back this week. The return of Judge Nutmeg was good enough ("Comb its hair!") but the Ghost Hunters sketch is the icing on the cake.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
In retrospect it seems inevitable, but if you're not prepared for how it ends it's a real jolt. You can only hope it toughened the kid up for more knocks in life. But what an awful thing to happen.
Do I need to put a spoiler space for such an old film?
The actor playing the boy, David (not that one) Bradley thought the dead Kestrel was one of the ones he had been working with during the whole film and his reactions were real. In fact it was just a one that had died of natural causes and had nothing to do with the film prior to appearing dead.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Yeah, for an ending that makes people teary-eyed, it's a very unsentimental film, when you think about it.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The final two episodes of The Man in the High Castle had plenty of action and twists, but not entirely sure I got the ending!
Must admit I gave up on that show at the start of season 3, it was soooo boring. But I did read they got their act together for the finale.