What TV Are You Watching?

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Binge-watched "Ghosts" on BBC iPlayer over the last couple of days.
Only 6 episodes of just under 30 minutes each.
OK so it's basically a mash-up of Beetlejuice, Rentaghost and the Ghosts of Motley Hall but the gags work pretty well, with some genuine laugh-out-loud moments and a few thought-provoking and poignant scenes too.
Who could resist a Neanderthal ghost (who gets many of the best lines)?
Will look out for series 2, due some time this year.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
I watch too many tv series to name them all.....Supernatural, The Magicians, Evil, Prodigal Son, Longmire, Dr Who, His Dark Materials,

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
Narcos on Netflix.

I heard the hype when it came out but never got round to watching it. But now we have watched Seasons 1 & 2 and it is brilliant. Quite violent but very addictive. Funny in places too.

And it messes with your feelings because you end up liking Escobar when you're with him - admiring him almost. And then you see it all from the DEA side and feel all conflicted and repulsed. Brilliant TV and an excellent drama.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Narcos on Netflix.

I heard the hype when it came out but never got round to watching it. But now we have watched Seasons 1 & 2 and it is brilliant. Quite violent but very addictive. Funny in places too.

And it messes with your feelings because you end up liking Escobar when you're with him - admiring him almost. And then you see it all from the DEA side and feel all conflicted and repulsed. Brilliant TV and an excellent drama.
It's bloody brilliant. Narcos Mexico is great too. Give it a shot when you're done with the original.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Just discovered The Beverly Hillbillies on Prime. Takes me back to the innocent days of when I was little and everything was black and white.
Although now that I'm older I can appreciate Elly May in tight denim...
sid.jpg

Baghdad Central, set shortly after the invasion of Iraq in 2003, an ex police inspector's daughter goes missing. Noirish, first episode was good. CH4.

skinny

Class of 1984
This show is top shelf.

precis: You know how it goes: have a prang in your car, swap details with the other driver, end up on a 2,500 mile road trip together. This was the attention-seizing set-up for Upright (Sky Atlantic), Tim Minchin’s corking comedy-drama following an odd couple’s odyssey across the Australian outback. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2019...-1-2-review-tim-minchin-gets-back-feet-sharp/

It's my home landscape, my road, my bit of country. The characters are endearing, the plot exceeds the bounds of credibility at times but it's Tim Minchin so you roll with the rhythm of it all and bounce on. A road movie in 8 episodes. On foxtel. Give it a burl. I'm inside ep5.

This is Milly Alcock. Remember the name.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Thoroughly enjoying Edgar Wright in conversation with Robbie Collin on BBC 4's The Life Cinematic. Every choice of clip a winner: the American Werewolf in London transformation, ultra-cool opening titles of Bullitt, the insane "I Only Have Eyes for You" number in Dames, single take shootout in Hard-Boiled, etc. Always great to hear Edgar interviewed.

Uncut Gems: Too shouty and too long. It's not a bad film but there is far too much hype about it. Lets just call it a good thriller and give it 7/10. On Netflix.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Uncut Gems: Too shouty and too long. It's not a bad film but there is far too much hype about it. Lets just call it a good thriller and give it 7/10. On Netflix.
Generous! It was basically the same two scenes over and over: Sandler gains the upper hand, Sandler loses the upper hand. I got the idea after fifteen minutes, unfortunately there were another two hours to go. The Safdie Bros' Good Time was a lot better and snappier.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Thoroughly enjoying Edgar Wright in conversation with Robbie Collin on BBC 4's The Life Cinematic. Every choice of clip a winner: the American Werewolf in London transformation, ultra-cool opening titles of Bullitt, the insane "I Only Have Eyes for You" number in Dames, single take shootout in Hard-Boiled, etc. Always great to hear Edgar interviewed.
I really enjoyed that episode. Nice to see him give Hard Boiled a mention, I had been watching it earlier this week for the first time in ages. The sheer skill/choreography/insanity of the action scenes is breathtaking.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Just discovered The Beverly Hillbillies on Prime. Takes me back to the innocent days of when I was little and everything was black and white.
Although now that I'm older I can appreciate Elly May in tight denim...
View attachment 22953
Also Sharon Tate makes a few guest appearances throughout the series.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I really enjoyed that episode. Nice to see him give Hard Boiled a mention, I had been watching it earlier this week for the first time in ages. The sheer skill/choreography/insanity of the action scenes is breathtaking.
I saw Hard-Boiled in the cinema, about the time when Hong Kong movies were going from cool cult pictures in the West to influencing every fight scene in film from that day to this. But you can't beat the originals: it's an amazing film. Chow Yun-Fat holding a baby in one arm and a gun in the other hand is a great image: he'll protect you no matter what.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
New Sarah Phelps Agatha Christie on BBC1 tonight at 9, I really enjoyed And Then There Were None and her Poirot, so will be tuning in to The Pale Horse. According to my mum it's about mediums or something (she's read them all).

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Unable to find any more episodes of The Sandhamn Murders on Amazon Prime, we have gone in search for other Swedish crime dramas on there and found Beck.

Likeable cast and good storylines, and of course Swedish to boot, but I wish it wasn't quite so violent and disturbing in places. We have watched three episodes so far and in each of them I have spent a considerable amount of time with my hand over my eyes blocking out most of the screen (except the English subtitles at the bottom of course).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The Pale Horse was really good, very stylish indeed, they had the vintage look off to a tee. Good cast too: Rufus Sewell, Sean Pertwee, Claire Skinner, Kaya Scodelario, Rita Tushingham etc. All very mysterious, Phelps has a real knack of making the Christies fresh (despite the grumblings from the diehard fans).

A bit Wicker Man in one sequence (or maybe Pie Pie Pie Pie), and the bit where the witches all turned to look at Rufus was nice and shivery. Shame it's only a two-parter.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
The US comedy series Parks and Recreation: A relentlessly perky low-level bureaucrat, six years in the job yet with her idealism undiminished, finds a project which will get her noticed. Her cynical colleagues are towed along in her slipstream.

lt’s a bit slow to start, but sticking with it is rewarded.

maximus otter

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
Unable to find any more episodes of The Sandhamn Murders on Amazon Prime, we have gone in search for other Swedish crime dramas on there and found Beck.

Likeable cast and good storylines, and of course Swedish to boot, but I wish it wasn't quite so violent and disturbing in places. We have watched three episodes so far and in each of them I have spent a considerable amount of time with my hand over my eyes blocking out most of the screen (except the English subtitles at the bottom of course).
There's also the Wallander series which is a bit more subtle (I think) and not as dark as Beck. They both started in the 80's and have made tons of movies in their respective series. But there's also the Kenneth Brannagh Tv adaptation where he played the Detective. They filmed 4 series in Sweden, everyone else spoke Swedish but he spoke English (IIRC). I don't watch them myself but Swede's love a Detective drama.