What TV Are You Watching?

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
There's also the Wallander series which is a bit more subtle (I think) and not as dark as Beck. They both started in the 80's and have made tons of movies in their respective series. But there's also the Kenneth Brannagh Tv adaptation where he played the Detective. They filmed 4 series in Sweden, everyone else spoke Swedish but he spoke English (IIRC). I don't watch them myself but Swede's love a Detective drama.
Ooh thanks! We shall look out for that on prime also.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
We tried it but - dunno. It just wasn't really ticking my boxes.
Could be worth persevering with, apparently critics weren't too keen on the first few episodes but liked it once it hit its stride.

onetwothree

Sigils, Prosecco and crying are my main talents.
The Pale Horse on BBC1 is very good. Oh, and I didn't get the first episode of the new Inside No.9 at all, but am looking forward to catching up with the second.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The Pale Horse on BBC1 is very good. Oh, and I didn't get the first episode of the new Inside No.9 at all, but am looking forward to catching up with the second.
Here's the Inside No.9 thread if you want to discuss it.

But basically...

The referee revealed he had a tattoo of the biggest rival of the club he was refereeing for on his back, therefore all the things he had done were not down to incompetence (like awarding the opposition a handball when the goalkeeper saved it!) or bad judgement (like having an affair with their best player, Number 9 - hence, "inside No.9") but because he was deliberately sabotaging their chance at winning, and clearing the way for his favourite team to win.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
We're watching 'The Stranger' at the moment .. it seems pretty generic to me so far .. irritating yuppies, windswept moors type setting, Columbo's Sister type detective, bad acting .. written by Harlan Coben, my Mum bought me one of his books for Christmas but I couldn't get into it so gave it to the Mrs. I've never really been into police case dramas so someone else might love it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We're watching 'The Stranger' at the moment .. it seems pretty generic to me so far .. irritating yuppies, windswept moors type setting, Columbo's Sister type detective, bad acting .. written by Harlan Coben, my Mum bought me one of his books for Christmas but I couldn't get into it so gave it to the Mrs. I've never really been into police case dramas so someone else might love it.
We loved that. It gets very dark indeed.

We're familiar with the area it's set in so that was a bonus!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Thanks GNC - my boyfriend explained it at the time, but I was a bit "meh". Maybe you had to be a football fan to get it.
I'm not a football fan at all, and I thought it was really funny, maybe because it made the whole thing look totally ridiculous.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
We loved that. It gets very dark indeed.

We're familiar with the area it's set in so that was a bonus!
Did you watch 'Safe' written by the same bloke? .. another whodunit except it's got this family who are terrible at trying to get rid of a body to comedy levels.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Hidden, BBC Wales. Dunno if anyone else has reported on this.

There are two versions, in Welsh and English. We are of course watching the English version, which still has a lot of English-subtitled Welsh speech. It's set in north Wales, an area I know well and which Techy has also come to love.
There are wonderful landscape shots, including the wondrous Britannia Bridge over the Menai Strait. We cycle along there wherever humanly possible.

The drama is interesting too!

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
The mid-season finale of Vikings. The Rus attack Norway, an epic battle ensues.

Another ten episodes to come, probably in a few months on RTE2.
That was pretty awesome - one of the most impressive battle sequences in a TV series ever (yes, up there with Game of Thrones!).

And what a cliff-hanger with our hero Bjorn!

Can't believe we will have to wait almost until the end of 2020 for the concluding (and definitely final) 10 episodes.

I was hoping they would revisit Rollo in France and take us through to the Viking {Norman} conquest of England in 1066.

It's been a terrific series overall.

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
I've been watching 'David Wilson's Crime Files' on the iplayer. It's a BBC Scotland series. Someone investigates a historic case, he chats to someone about a recent case, and also talks to a crime fiction writer from Scotland. Each programme has a different theme, and they last for an hour. I recommend.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anyone see The Pale Horse episode 2? One of the most stylish things I've seen in ages, but it got to the end and I was like oh, wow, right... huh?! If you've seen it you'll know what I mean. Went all ambiguous.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Anyone see The Pale Horse episode 2? One of the most stylish things I've seen in ages, but it got to the end and I was like oh, wow, right... huh?! If you've seen it you'll know what I mean. Went all ambiguous.
It proves the witches are actually powerless. They are unwitting stooges.

Easterbrook can't sleep well after impulsively murdering his wife. He asks the witches to stop his nightmares but after also murdering Zachariah, that event too is incorporated into them and he is doomed to relive his crimes every night.

So there IS a curse, but it is one he has placed upon himself through his own wickedness.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
It proves the witches are actually powerless. They are unwitting stooges.

Easterbrook can't sleep well after impulsively murdering his wife. He asks the witches to stop his nightmares but after also murdering Zachariah, that event too is incorporated into them and he is doomed to relive his crimes every night.

So there IS a curse, but it is one he has placed upon himself through his own wickedness.
Many thanks, that makes more sense than the explanation I was flailing around with. I read around about it online, and apparently (fun fact) the original book was Agatha Christie trying her hand at a Dennis Wheatley occult horror novel.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Better Call Saul is back - no spoilers, but our man is finally getting his ass in gear, both in the future and the past. Lovely to see that guest star, if only for a minute.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Better Call Saul is back - no spoilers, but our man is finally getting his ass in gear, both in the future and the past. Lovely to see that guest star, if only for a minute.
Thing about Saul is that he's (no spoiler here!) a crook.

In an early BB scene he's treated to a mock execution which he negotiates by suggesting his captors murder someone else. They are stunned.
Later they'd probably consider the option but at that point, the scene shows, Saul is already streets ahead in criminality.

Had to watch both BB and BCS a few times to grasp this.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
That's a very astute observation, @escargot , and he's only happy when he's scamming or cheating someone or something (usually the law courts). He was positively delighted he had his life plan worked out in the second episode this season, which was also really funny! Bob Odenkirk is so terrific in the role.

INT21

Antediluvian
Just catching up on 'The Split'.

Don't know how I missed the start of this. I'm not a tv drama fan, but this is the kind of thing I like. Also 'Cold Feet' and 'Last Tango in Halifax'.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I've been enjoying the repeats of Sunday Night at the London Palladium on Talking Pictures TV, or at least I was until Jimmy Tarbuck showed up this week. Prefer Brucie. Although as usual, bits are fascinating, like Sarah Miles appearing on stage to plug her new film, improbably called Passage of Love. The double entendre hit her as she was saying its name (!). She also mispronounced the title of the song by The Searchers - it should have been When I Get Home - as When I Get You Home (!!).