What TV Are You Watching?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today's viewing...

The finale of Australian Survivor (my wife is a fan).
then
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Last night was the Barack Obama episode of Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee" on Netflix - how the hell did they pull that off? He was still President at the time!

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Gogglelebox
Hellier Series 2 on Youtube (on my smart tv)
Ozark Series 3 on Netflix

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Have just finished Ozark season 3. I thought the first few Eps were a bit meh, but it picks up.

Ben Begins to unravel into mania is very well done as well as Wendy falling apart

And I have to say julie garner deserves to be a much bigger star.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Watching 'Don't F**Kk With Cats' on Netflix. Disturbing, yet enthralling all at once.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Watched first episode of Tales from the Loop on Prime - young girl comes home from school but home has completely vanished along with her mother. Boy befriends girl but boy's mother turns out to be girl as an adult, so boy is actually girl's son. Think next episode is set in same town but different story - I'll stick with it.

ravensocks

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Tiger King on Netflix. I won't spoil it for you.
I'm guessing you enjoyed it. I've watched the first two episodes, and I'm really not getting the hype. Is it worth sticking with?

I should point out I usually love those 'starts one way, goes mental quickly' shows. Loved loved loved The Jinx, quite enjoyed Evil Genius. Really not getting the same vibes off Tiger King, but willing to stick with it if there is a decent pay off.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
I saw something on TV earlier about some virus or something, sorry can't remember which channel or what time, I think it was a sci fi horror, you can probably find it if you google it.

Vardoger

YOLO
Reaction score
Alpen Panorama on 3 Sat Live with some alp music. There are still snow on them thar hills down there. And no skiers, probably because of lockdown.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm guessing you enjoyed it. I've watched the first two episodes, and I'm really not getting the hype. Is it worth sticking with?

I should point out I usually love those 'starts one way, goes mental quickly' shows. Loved loved loved The Jinx, quite enjoyed Evil Genius. Really not getting the same vibes off Tiger King, but willing to stick with it if there is a decent pay off.
I did, in a voyeuristic, I can't believe what I'm watching kind of way. Just when you think the insanity can't get worse, it does, and each episode just increases the dose of madness & mayhem.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm watching 'Dark Side Of The Ring' a documentary series that explores the controversy, scandals and truth behind the scenes of professional wrestling. I grew up watching it on t.v and seeing it live when young twice monthly and it's a pleasure that's stuck with me all my life.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Started American Gods season 2 last night - glad to see it's as batshit as always.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just binge watched all four episodes of the rather brilliant Netflix show 'Unorthodox'. It's the story of a young 19 year old Jewish woman from New York who escapes her unhappy, arranged marriage and strict religious community by running away to start a new life abroad in Berlin. Very, very good.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Killing Eve, S3 Ep1, off to a good start.

The Mire, Polish conspiracy murder thriller series set in 1983. Pretty bleak. 7/10. On Netflix.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
'Pandemic' on Netflix. Highly prophetic given the times.

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Reaction score
For anyone who's in the intersection of Bob Ross and Tolkien fandoms, in some weird Venn diagram, I can thoroughly recommend this;

Just brilliant :)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Killing Eve, S3 Ep1, off to a good start.
Yes, I watched that on Monday - they're not messing around with that cliffhanger, are they?! Was reading Fiona Shaw was worried about taking her role in the series because she thought nobody would like her in it, how gratifying it must be for her to be told she's one of the highlights. Loved her chat with Steve Pemberton!

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
...The Mire, Polish conspiracy murder thriller series set in 1983. Pretty bleak. 7/10. On Netflix.
I thought the only thing stopping The Mire from being a higher score than that was the slightly rushed feel to the ending - it felt almost as if it could have done with another episode.

That said, I really enjoyed it. And I thought the design was absolutely excellent. It's actually quite difficult to describe how impressive a look a series set in early 80's communist Poland can have without implying that it was somehow unrealistic; I mean - how 'impressive' can shades of grey and brown really be? And yet, it was. (One of the reviews I read labelled it 'handsome', and I think that actually describes it about right.)

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Better Call Saul. season 5

one episode to go! omg. the previous 2 episodes have been awesome.

(i don't know if there is a thread for this?)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Better Call Saul. season 5

one episode to go! omg. the previous 2 episodes have been awesome.

(i don't know if there is a thread for this?)
I'm saving this week's for tomorrow! A friend of mine noted Mike has been transformed into the world's oldest ninja, in contrast to his merely capable fixer persona in Breaking Bad.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned Der Pass (rather unnecessarily rebranded as Pagan Peak for the US audience)?

A predictably po-faced Guardian review had it down as a rip-off of The Bridge, which is desperately unfair; it does use the cross border motif, and there is in fact a credit to Endemol for the format - but there's no real similarity beyond the basics.

Strangely posed dead body found high on the Austrian/German border. Mountains, forests, a healthy dose of the shivers; it has Krampuses, oh yes…Krampuses - but this is more neo-pagan, psycho survivalist, anti-modernity, eco-terror, blood and soil type stuff than full blown supernatural shenanigans.

Very watchable, and occasionally disturbing - a believable premise and an eerily convincing loon at its core. I found the female lead to be somewhat unengaging, but her amoral Austrian counterpart – played by Nicholas Ofczarek, lumbering around in clothes that make him look like a once handsome sofa that’s been thrown off a bridge – has a highly attractive dose of the Noirs about him, and could probably hold a series down all by himself.

Not perfect, but very watchable - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was given the DVD and am not sure if/where it might be available for watching – but I'd suggest it might be worth keeping a weather eye out for it.

Reactions: Sie

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
What is going on in Midsomer Murders? This show seems to be on tv all the time. The stories usually go like this. Detective Barnaby is invited to some sort of do or fete opening and witnesses an argument or ruckus, conveniently involving the suspects in a future murder which will usually involve a shovel to the back of the head or some tool of the featured trade in the episode. Hours seem to pass as Barnaby questions the locals, only interrupted by further murders occuring just before the commercial breaks. Eventually he solves the case but by then I really couldn’t care less.

I’ve managed to make it more interesting by applying my own pet theory to the show. There are massive pagan overtones in this series so I’ve come to the conclusion the site of Midsomer is actually cursed. Anyone moving into one of the newly vacated properties is taken over by an ancient psychotic madness that turns them into ruthless killers. Barnaby’s just there to walk you around and point at the bodies so you see the results of this folk horror. And just before teatime too.