What TV Are You Watching?

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One of the most dangerous places in the world. See also Cabot cove and Saint Marie.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
OK, seen this week's Better Call Saul, and @Ladyloafer was right, what an hour of television, unbelievably tense. Run away, Kim! Give Tony Dalton an Emmy, he's the most despicable bastard on TV at the moment, fantastic performance as Salamanca.

As for Mike, I've come to the conclusion he's basically like the old man with the white beard you see in kung fu movies, because they're always the toughest to beat.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Season 1 of War Of The Worlds just finished on Fox. Present day setting. Pretty good but a lot is left unresolved. Very much adult SF.

I'm watching Crazyhead on Netflix, missed it when it was first out, funny but gruesome horror.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
If you've ever wondered what the cult of painting maestro Bob Ross is about, like I have, but have never seen one of his shows, then you're in luck, BBC4 start showing them at seven in the evening from Monday:
TV link

It's Paint Along with Nancy I remember from my childhood, with her cutlery-based painting, so I'm hoping Bob is as good. Supposed to be relaxing.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
If you've ever wondered what the cult of painting maestro Bob Ross is about, like I have, but have never seen one of his shows, then you're in luck, BBC4 start showing them at seven in the evening from Monday:
TV link

It's Paint Along with Nancy I remember from my childhood, with her cutlery-based painting, so I'm hoping Bob is as good. Supposed to be relaxing.
Plenty of Bob Ross videos on Youtube.
I like his gentle style of presentation a lot, but I'm not that much of a fan of his paintings. They're OK.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Started binge-watching the latest series of Bosch on Prime, based on Michael Connolly's books about an LA cop righting wrongs his own way.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Plenty of Bob Ross videos on Youtube.
I like his gentle style of presentation a lot, but I'm not that much of a fan of his paintings. They're OK.
YouTube is pretty poor quality on my TV, at least this'll be in HD on BBC4, all the better to appreciate his brush strokes.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
YouTube is pretty poor quality on my TV, at least this'll be in HD on BBC4, all the better to appreciate his brush strokes.
Bob Ross is also being shown on one of the satellite channels, I watched an ep a couple of weeks ago but can’t for the life of me remember which channel!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Bob Ross is also being shown on one of the satellite channels, I watched an ep a couple of weeks ago but can’t for the life of me remember which channel!
I don't have satellite TV, so this is fine for me. If anything, I might be building it up too much - how soothing can this guy be?!

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have satellite TV, so this is fine for me. If anything, I might be building it up too much - how soothing can this guy be?!
It was definitely nice to watch

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Reaction score
TV link

Oooh, he's much better than Nancy!

I have quite bad insomnia. For most of my life, I have read in bed, but recently, against all the usual advice, I set up a PC in my bedroom. I've been watching vids instead of reading and, much to my annoyance (because I love books, and don't really watch much telly), I'm actually sleeping a lot better.

I love some of Ross's work (I've cribbed a few techniques over the years as well :joyf: ), but they can be a bit twee and bland, and I've never met anyone who likes his little cabins!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Just watched Bob Ross, and that was pretty flippin' relaxing. It's true! In fact he was so soothing I started to laugh in places. The HD didn't matter so much because it was recorded on linoleum NTSC video, not the sharpest. But I could work out what he was doing. Tempted to watch again, he's on BBC4 all week.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Just watched Bob Ross, and that was pretty flippin' relaxing. It's true! In fact he was so soothing I started to laugh in places. The HD didn't matter so much because it was recorded on linoleum NTSC video, not the sharpest. But I could work out what he was doing. Tempted to watch again, he's on BBC4 all week.
That's why people loved him. Relaxation.

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Reaction score
He comes across as a very kind, gentle man (I don't know, and don't really want to know if he was the same in real life!), and a lot of his little catchphrases are quite philosophical, in a home-spun kind of way.

You also get to see some of the animals he helped raise, from time to time, which is an added bonus :)

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
OK, seen this week's Better Call Saul, and @Ladyloafer was right, what an hour of television, unbelievably tense. Run away, Kim! Give Tony Dalton an Emmy, he's the most despicable bastard on TV at the moment, fantastic performance as Salamanca.

As for Mike, I've come to the conclusion he's basically like the old man with the white beard you see in kung fu movies, because they're always the toughest to beat.
I thought this was the last season. But it turns out there will be another. Hence that s5 last episode is wholly unsatisfactory although still top notch.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Jack Whitehall - Travels With My Father (Series 1) Funny stuff as Jack and his rather stiff father travel through Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I thought this was the last season. But it turns out there will be another. Hence that s5 last episode is wholly unsatisfactory although still top notch.
Now I'm wondering (A) if Kim will go to prison, not die, and (B) if we'll ever get to see the final season completed, I don't know if they'd even started filming it and suspect not. Starting to feel very sorry for Howard if Evil Kim is a thing. Lalo's scenes were a great little action movie in themselves.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering (A) if Kim will go to prison, not die, and (B) if we'll ever get to see the final season completed, I don't know if they'd even started filming it and suspect not. Starting to feel very sorry for Howard if Evil Kim is a thing. Lalo's scenes were a great little action movie in themselves.
Yeah Howards a prize twerp but not a bad person.
I'd like to see the flash forwards we were seeing of 'gene' cinnebon manager in omaha who is actually still with Kim (or giselle) maybe. Of course Kim is nowhere to be seen in bb but that's because she'd already gone on ahead....

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Jack Whitehall - Travels With My Father (Series 1) Funny stuff as Jack and his rather stiff father travel through Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam.
Did you see the episode of 'Who do you think you are?'which featured the pair of them? That was really funny in an ironic sort of way. I felt Jack could have acted a bit more aghast but hey ho. I took it as a cautionary tale I won't be digging too far into my ancestery.:lolling:

Sollywos x

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Techy is watching a BBC scifi series called DEVS* which is blowing his mind.

*Not DIVS, that's the Scouse version.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Techy is watching a BBC scifi series called DEVS* which is blowing his mind.

*Not DIVS, that's the Scouse version.
We have a thread on Devs! It's enjoyably ridiculous.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We have a thread on Devs! It's enjoyably ridiculous.
I won't be looking at that thread as I'm hoping to watch DIVS when I'm not so busy.

Gene Hunt73

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Rediscovered Life on Mars after coming across it on Iplayer, a police officer has an accident in 2006 and is transported back to 1973 is he mad, dead or in a coma?
Also enjoying the follow up 'ashes to ashes' highly recommended.
images (2).jpeg

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Bob Ross on BBC iplayer...I need more episodes. I wonder if the BBC bought every series?, I doubt it!.

Crankyoldgit62

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Gene, enjoyed them both when they were shown. My sister liked Life on Mars but couldn't get into Ashes to Ashes. Now watching Kirstie crafty tv show, as my missus is sowing up hospital scrubs. Have been binge watching Designated Survivor, quite good.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
Bob Ross is absolutely huge among young people on the internet, for one reason or the other. Maybe the reason is because his show was good. I've never seen it so I don't know.