What TV Are You Watching?

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
Reaction score
Love it when the arsey kids and teenagers play up for the camera and end up in A & E :D
That's kind of reminiscent of that God-awful American thing Jackass, although not so extreme. Did that get cancelled because idiots watching it did not pay heed of the "do not do this at home" disclaimer? Too many injuries and the odd death.

Americans being stupid

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Just realised What We Do in the Shadows was back on BBC2 last night, and I missed it. Luckily the whole season 2 shebang is on iPlayer, so I'll give it a go there.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just realised What We Do in the Shadows was back on BBC2 last night, and I missed it. Luckily the whole season 2 shebang is on iPlayer, so I'll give it a go there.
I watched the first 2 eps on telly last night.
The new guy in the first episode is played by Haley Joel Osment. As in 'I see dead people' kid. Lol. Coincidence? I doubt it.

AgProv

Reaction score
Watching one of those clip shows Channel Five does as cheap infill; this one is about what happens when things go wrong on TV (they are ALL about what happens when things go wrong on TV) . Sometime around 1978, Esther Rantzen was nicked on TV for obstruction. She'd been doing vox pops and a copper got her for blocking the pavement. That's quite a famous incident - but what gets lost is what she'd actually been doing. C5 have just shown the full clip, without editorialising too much... She'd been testing the culinary broad-mindedness of the British public by inviting people to taste a Chinese speciality. Bat soup. Soup. Made from bats. 42 years ago. Given the slow start of an epidemiology curve, before it goes exponential. Can we blame CV on Esther Rantzen?

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Watching one of those clip shows Channel Five does as cheap infill; this one is about what happens when things go wrong on TV (they are ALL about what happens when things go wrong on TV) . Sometime around 1978, Esther Rantzen was nicked on TV for obstruction. She'd been doing vox pops and a copper got her for blocking the pavement. That's quite a famous incident - but what gets lost is what she'd actually been doing. C5 have just shown the full clip, without editorialising too much... She'd been testing the culinary broad-mindedness of the British public by inviting people to taste a Chinese speciality. Bat soup. Soup. Made from bats. 42 years ago. Given the slow start of an epidemiology curve, before it goes exponential. Can we blame CV on Esther Rantzen?
I saw that at the time and mentioned it on'ere a few months ago. One 'customer' spits the lot out on the spot. Sensible woman.
My context was indeed 'Strange things as food and drink.'

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well I was watching Elementary season 4 on amazon prime till yesterday.
From today its no longer on prime. You have to pay actual money!
Thanks for the fucking heads up amazon. Maybe tell us when somethings about to be dropped!
They did that with another few years old series I was watching too a few months ago.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Well I was watching Elementary season 4 on amazon prime till yesterday.
From today its no longer on prime. You have to pay actual money!
Thanks for the fucking heads up amazon. Maybe tell us when somethings about to be dropped!
They did that with another few years old series I was watching too a few months ago.
The idiots on Netflix removed Season 1 of Ozark when I was halfway through it, again no warning.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I watched the first 2 eps on telly last night.
The new guy in the first episode is played by Haley Joel Osment. As in 'I see dead people' kid. Lol. Coincidence? I doubt it.
Caught up now. Nice to see Haley getting work in something non-Kevin Smith-related. It was an OK episode, but the ghosts one really made me laugh. Ectoplasm?!

ralfy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Survivors (1975 TV series)

Survivors is a British post-apocalyptic fiction drama television series created by Terry Nation and produced by Terence Dudley at the BBC, that broadcast from 1975 to 1977. It concerns the plight of a group of people who have survived an apocalyptic plague pandemic, which was accidentally released by a Chinese scientist and quickly spread across the world via air travel. Referred to as "The Death", the plague kills approximately 4,999 out of every 5,000 human beings on the planet within a matter of weeks of being released.

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Just finished the whole of The Last Kingdom and I'm gutted it's ended as it was one of those that wasn't complicated and you could just relax with a drink and enjoy ...never felt this sad since the last of Goodnight Sweetheart :(

AgProv

Reaction score
Watching Live At The Apollo. I have just realised that Phil Jupitus actually DOES do things other than appear on TV panel shows for a living. He also does stand-up comedy occasionally, probably for something to do if there's a gap in between recordings of Eight Out Of Ten Cats, Mock The Week and QI. Apparently Sara Pascoe is on this one too, doing stand-up and not sit-down-behind-a-panel-desk. Who'd have thought it, eh?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Pixelation, picture scrambled and finally no signal (yet again) - must be trying to watch Sapphire and Steel on Forces TV after 11 pm (same for Yesterday channel, Horror channel, Blaze etc).

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The Woods: another adaptation of a Harlan Coben novel, relocated to Poland in 1994. At a youth summer camp four teens, 2 boys & 2 girls disappear. Only two of their bodies are found. 2019, Pawel who was at the camp, is now a prosecutor, his sister was one of the missing. He is called to look at a body, it's the missing boy, 25 years older .., Could Pawel's sister still be alive?

Pawel is dealing with another difficult case. People in both are trying to cover up something.

Couple of episodes in and it's off to a goods start. In Polish with subtitles or dubbed.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Snowpiercer off to a good start. first two episodes on Netflix, new episode every Monday. Murder on the snow express. A former homicide detective is brought from the Tail to investigate. Pretty violent. The Train is portrayed even better than in the film. Allegories about class nature of society.
Warning nerd alert.

In episode 5 of Snowpiercer, the train is described as being 5 miles in length.
5 miles is 8,800 yards. Given that the train comprises 1,001 carriages, that would mean an average length of just 8.79 yards per compartment. The majority of compartments that feature in the programme (notably the livestock, medical, dining, accommodation, entertainment and even the "tail" carriages) are visibly far in excess of 8.79 yards in length. Indeed, they seem to be significantly larger than average rail carriages in real life (20 to 21 yards). Unless there are dozens of minuscule carriages that would bring the average length down to 8.79 yards, I'm calling BS on the length of 5 miles. It would have to be nearer 12 miles in length.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Warning nerd alert.

In episode 5 of Snowpiercer, the train is described as being 5 miles in length.
5 miles is 8,800 yards. Given that the train comprises 1,001 carriages, that would mean an average length of just 8.79 yards per compartment. The majority of compartments that feature in the programme (notably the livestock, medical, dining, accommodation, entertainment and even the "tail" carriages) are visibly far in excess of 8.79 yards in length. Indeed, they seem to be significantly larger than average rail carriages in real life (20 to 21 yards). Unless there are dozens of minuscule carriages that would bring the average length down to 8.79 yards, I'm calling BS on the length of 5 miles. It would have to be nearer 12 miles in length.
The whole concept is nuts anyway.
What kind of engine could pull a train that long? One's never been made that could do that.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The whole concept is nuts anyway.
What kind of engine could pull a train that long? One's never been made that could do that.
Well quite.

The longest train in human history was the BHP Billiton iron ore train crossing Australia and comprising 682 cars and stretching to 7.3 km (4.5 miles).
To pull it, it required eight locomotives distributed along its length to keep the couplings loads and curve performance controllable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longe...rain,loads and curve performance controllable.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Well quite.

The longest train in human history was the BHP Billiton iron ore train crossing Australia and comprising 682 cars and stretching to 7.3 km (4.5 miles).
To pull it, it required eight locomotives distributed along its length to keep the couplings loads and curve performance controllable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_trains#:~:text=The record-breaking ore train,loads and curve performance controllable.
4.5 is impressive, but it needed 8 engines. Snowpiercer has just the one, AFAIK.

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Pixelation, picture scrambled and finally no signal (yet again) - must be trying to watch Sapphire and Steel on Forces TV after 11 pm (same for Yesterday channel, Horror channel, Blaze etc).
Love Sapphire and Steel especially the World War 1 Solider in the train station.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
This Island Earth on Horror Channel - forever ruined for me after watching the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment.
(Lab in flames, landlady banging on the door) - 'are you boys cooking in there ?' No.
'Are you building an interocitor ?' No !?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Watched a bit of Budgie on TalkingPicture TV - Adam Faith, Iain Cuthbertson, 1971 - great closing theme tune (The Loner) but I don't remember it being in black & white ?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
In Snowpiercer, who maintains the tracks?

I think I saw the Chris Evans version. A meh film.

Last edited:

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Watched a bit of Budgie on TalkingPicture TV - Adam Faith, Iain Cuthbertson, 1971 - great closing theme tune (The Loner) but I don't remember it being in black & white ?
Talking about Ian Cuthbertson I enjoyed watching the ITV kids show Children of the Stone and you it was really spooky and I bet you wouldn't get pub scenes in children shows these days.Check out the theme tune.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The first few episodes were recorded in black and white because there was a strike on. Ah, the seventies!