What TV Are You Watching?

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Goodnight Sweetheart and the BBC did a one off special and never commissioned for a return but instead did a Open All Hours retake...dicks.

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On the iPlayer until Tuesday - The Borderlands
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0464qtx/the-borderlands
It's a superbly British horror film, dark humour and some moments where you jump. I liked it a lot. It's essentially about some people investigating strange goings on at an old church, so a suitably fortean theme.
Just yes. this film is so much better than you think it can be. And my god, does it stick with you. That ending....It's on Amazon Prime. Watch it!!

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Midsummer Murders, top of the league for crime detection,
sod all for crime prevention.
I pay for my BritBos subscriiton mainly so that I have access to Midsummer Murders. I like cute and cozy; Tom Hanks for cute, BritBox for cozy (all that crime!!)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I pay for my BritBos subscriiton mainly so that I have access to Midsummer Murders. I like cute and cozy; Tom Hanks for cute, BritBox for cozy (all that crime!!)
When I had dinner at the Trinity College, Oxford High Table a couple of years ago* I was highly entertained by a Prof who told me all about how dangerous Oxford had become.

You only had to watch that vintage documentary series Inspector Morse or its more recent follow-up, Lewis, to realise that the place was full of jealousy, perversion and coldhearted murder.

Dons nearing retirement age are now looking into moving away from the hazards of the city to quiet villages in a pleasant county called, what was it now, oh yes, Midsomer.

*yes, I know, swanky! ;)

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When I had dinner at the Trinity College, Oxford High Table a couple of years ago* I was highly entertained by a Prof who told me all about how dangerous Oxford had become.

You only had to watch that vintage documentary series Inspector Morse or its more recent follow-up, Lewis, to realise that the place was full of jealousy, perversion and coldhearted murder.

Dons nearing retirement age are now looking into moving away from the hazards of the city to quiet villages in a pleasant county called, what was it now, oh yes, Midsomer.

*yes, I know, swanky! ;)
Swanky increases...I worked for one of the oldest Oxford colleges. My office was built and decorated in the year dot. I like to have radio 3 on in the background when I work. So, classical music is playing, I'm sat in my foolishly old and large office, and a student's non Oxford friend is with me. He looks round, blinks, and says "I feel like I'm in an episode of Morse". Me; "yep".

Trinity is well swanky! A fantabulous college

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I can thoroughly recommend the Spandau Ballet documentary on BBC2 tonight - see it on iPlayer if you missed it. From Rhys Thomas of Brian Pern/A Year in the Life of a Year fame and absolutely hilarious! Gary Kemp really was in a Children's Film Foundation film, it wasn't directed by Ken Russell, though. Don't think Martin Kemp was a Dalek, either. Funniest thing I've seen on TV for a while, really cheered me up.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I can thoroughly recommend the Spandau Ballet documentary on BBC2 tonight - see it on iPlayer if you missed it. From Rhys Thomas of Brian Pern/A Year in the Life of a Year fame and absolutely hilarious! Gary Kemp really was in a Children's Film Foundation film, it wasn't directed by Ken Russell, though. Don't think Martin Kemp was a Dalek, either. Funniest thing I've seen on TV for a while, really cheered me up.
Gaaawwwwd I had to actually GOOGLE this to find the title. I have to do EVERYTHING round'ere.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Gaaawwwwd I had to actually GOOGLE this to find the title. I have to do EVERYTHING round'ere.
Sorry, I couldn't remember what it was called! But it was on BBC2 at ten last night. Recommended!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Apparently Tony Hadley is NOT amused...!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The Secrets She Keeps on BBC. It's a thriller series about a baby.

I knew nothing about it before starting to watch except it's a bit gruelling. Can recommend this course of action. It has many twists to enjoy.

If you have a baby or are expecting one though, I'd watch something else instead. On my bike ride this morning I noticed a woman wearing a baby carrier and thought 'Whoah! Stay away from the river, Missis!' and nearly fell off the machine.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Deadwind: Nordic Noir set in Finland with some of the action taking pace in other Baltic States. Detectives investigate murders which are far from ordinary. Political and police corruption muddies the waters. Drug dealers, serial killers, drug mules, opportunists. The detectives and their families have complicated lives but not in any cliched way, relationships ring true. 8/10. Two Seasons, on Netflix.

marksourbutts

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Myself and my wife "my wife" have just finished binging The Magicians [IMDB] entire 5 season run. After not being sure for the first few episodes it hits its stride for me around episode 7 "The Mayakovsky Circumstance", when they introduce the titular character of the episode. Overall it's popcorn TV not to be taken too seriously, and it certainly doesn't take itself seriously at all. It's full of very attractive people which makes it a very easy watch. It's got a very inclusive and diverse cast, and is a very PC show in many ways but that only adds to the entertainment and the opportunities for comedy. I thought that the character development over the course of the show was handled very well indeed. It's fair to say that characters you may loathe at the beginning of season 1, you will love by the end of season 5.

We've just started watching How to Get Away With Murder, which I wasn't sure on at first, but is quite compelling despite there only being one likeable character in it so far.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Loved the Magicians (especially when Amazon Prime picked it up), blubbed at the end of season 5, hated how every reviewer felt compelled to describe the books as "Harry Potter for grown-ups"

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I also found the Harley Quinn animation very watchable, waiting for season 2. Maybe it's a Warner Bros cartoon with rude words and 'adult humor' in it that does it for me.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I also found the Harley Quinn animation very watchable, waiting for season 2. Maybe it's a Warner Bros cartoon with rude words and 'adult humor' in it that does it for me.
I also enjoyed it. Having a continuing story made it less like a regular cartoon.
My 12 year old neice loved it, despite or perhaps because of, the swearing.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
What we do in the Shadows episode 7 last night. The Troll! It was both very funny and possibly the moment the show has 'jumped the shark'. I also really like the Colin character. When it first started, he annoyed me.

marksourbutts

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Loved the Magicians (especially when Amazon Prime picked it up), blubbed at the end of season 5, hated how every reviewer felt compelled to describe the books as "Harry Potter for grown-ups"
That almost put me off watching it at first, and that’s from an adult who enjoyed the HP books and can’t wait for my kids to read them. It was the great ratings on IMDB that got me watching.

I’ve just started listening to the first audiobook.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
What we do in the Shadows episode 7 last night. The Troll! It was both very funny and possibly the moment the show has 'jumped the shark'. I also really like the Colin character. When it first started, he annoyed me.
Colin's been a slow burn, but they've all ended up really good (well, the characters are evil, but well-portrayed). Got two more episodes to finish, probably give them a go tonight. Apparently they'd like to do a third season, but as Matt Berry says, a proper, non-Covid-19 season where they can interact properly.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
An interesting series of programmes on the dust bowl in the 30s on PBS America. A fearsome drought which went on for several years. Featuring people who were there as children & the terrible toll it took on their parents. 'Dust pneumonia' was an occupational hazard.

Footage of dust storms & aftermath - it wasn't uncommon for a dust storm to deposit 3 feet of soil & some months they'd happen every other day, sometimes blocking light so day would seem like night.

Although many abandoned their farms, 75% stayed. They appeared fiercely independent self-reliant people who struggled on minimal harvests & income for years. The ones who went to California were labelled 'Okies' when they got there & were treated like dirt in a similar way to blacks - ruthlessly exploited by growers when there was work then abandoned when there wasn't. Many lived in roadside shanty towns they knocked together from whatever they could find.

The ones that stayed eventually got government support after several years & schemes to grow grass rather than crops to anchor the soil.

It went on to drawing water for drinking/irrigation from the aquifer below the area, which is still going on. According to the programme, around 50% has been drawn in a fairly short space of time. Once it's gone, the dust bowl could happen again..

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
PD: City of Angels seems to have stalled at episode 10. Is that it?
The Luminaries is confusing as hell. It jumps time worse than Westworld.

We've actually gone old school now and are watching The Tudors. I missed it the first time so it's fun to have something new which you know is highly rated.

The streaming service we have has cut all of the naughty bits out. Not sure if this makes it better or worse but we're enjoying it immensely. We're on Episode 9 of the first series. Wolsey has had his downfall, Henry's sister just died and the Pope is refusing Henry's divorce.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
PD: City of Angels seems to have stalled at episode 10. Is that it?
The Luminaries is confusing as hell. It jumps time worse than Westworld.

We've actually gone old school now and are watching The Tudors. I missed it the first time so it's fun to have something new which you know is highly rated.

The streaming service we have has cut all of the naughty bits out. Not sure if this makes it better or worse but we're enjoying it immensely. We're on Episode 9 of the first series. Wolsey has had his downfall, Henry's sister just died and the Pope is refusing Henry's divorce.
I really liked The Tudors. But if they've cut the naughty bits out then some of the episodes must be a bit short!

I'd recommend also Wolf Hall for more tudor shenanigans.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Star Wars; Resistance.

I must do penance for my days of supporting the Jedi Order....

CarlosTheDJ

Sio Bibble
Reaction score
Giving the DC Arrowverse a proper shot at last.

Following this handy online viewing guide to hit everything in the right order, there are a good few separate shows involved so I needed pointers.

Currently halfway through Arrow season 2. First series was a bit of a slog at times (although the action sequences are great) but S2 is much better.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Last few days, been binge-watching Norsemen on Netflix.

Wasn't too sure about it at first, as it felt a bit like Horrible Histories, with gore and profanity thrown in.
But it grew on me and the characters and story arc developed to have real depth, along with some genuine laugh-out-loud moments.

If you can imagine a mash-up of Game of Thrones and Monty Python and the Holy Grail, you wouldn't be far wrong.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80180182

Last edited: