What TV Are You Watching?

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Young Wallander: A reboot set in the present day. Rookie cop Kurt Wallander is recruited to the Major Crimes Unit after a fortuitous (for some) incident. an intricate plot involves immigrants, neo-nazis, drug dealers, disgruntled young folk and a billionaire family.Rather violent and poor Kurt is beaten up at least once in every episode. A new feel to this Wallander with Swedish actor Adam Palsson in the lead role, the rest of the cast are mostly British & Irish, they don't try to hide their accents. Created by Ben Harris who writes two of the episodes. On Netflix. 8/10.
I'll start this soon. Different story each episode, or one long one?

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Young Wallander: A reboot set in the present day. Rookie cop Kurt Wallander is recruited to the Major Crimes Unit...

This was okay. Better than I thought it was going to be.

I just don't get the Wallander thing though - it has absolutely goose egg to do with Mankell's character, and seems little more than a bit of gratuitous branding + maybe some revenue harvesting by the writer's estate.

I do like Adam Pålsson as an actor, but the young Wallander character seems a bit bland to me, and his slightly whispery voice grates a bit - never as obvious as when he's playing against the awesome tones of Richard Dillane, who's character probably has more in common with the original Wallander, and actually seems more interesting. (Dillane played Peter Guillam in a few of the BBC's The Complete Smiley, adaptations - superb radio voice.)

That said, very watchable.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Brack Report, on ch 81 Talking TV?
Made 1982 nothing seems to have changed a lot, politicians and big buisness are still self serving ass'es
and the same things are still being talked about, someone knew something even 40 years
back or had a very good crystal ball.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
It was interesting hearing Chris Boardman a couple of days ago say that he was a good descender until he crashed – breaking his ankle in six places among other things – after which he was much less confident going downhill fast. At the age of 57 I'm technically better than I was 20 years ago, but much, much more aware of my own mortality and fragility...
If I were him I wouldn’t go back to any of those six places...

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The Deceived: Melodramatic but in a good way as it provides hooks to grab your attention. fires, murders, missing people, dastardly dons (from Cambridge for a change). Emily Reid is good as an infatuated but resilient student with Emmett Scanlan going all out sociopathic as the lecherous lecturer. Hokum but good hokum. Four episodes. 7/10.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Loving the Soul America series on BBC4, might be the last time to interview a lot of those great talents, so doubly valuable. Socially conscious soul is so cool.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
'The Curious Life and Death of Lizzie Borden' on the Smithsonian Channel - for the third time. Awful presentation, I have nodded off through every showing. Lizzie was acquitted despite the wildly inaccurate rhyme composed during her trial. Just another hour to go.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Caught up with last week's Gone Fishing on iPlayer, and one of Bob's anecdotes has haunted me all day. His mother was widowed when he was young, and she never remarried. In fact, she spent most of the rest of her life all on her own. One day, when Bob was over for a visit, she asked him out of the blue for a hug. Now he realises how lonely she must have been, and wishes he'd told her he loved her. It's not just the rivers that are deep on that programme...

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I’m watching ancient aliens on Netflix as our site nurse has recommended it and wants my opinion, but I’m struggling to get over this geezers Barnet
4880FB65-F4A1-4943-B3CC-8B919E8B66E7.jpeg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Yesss, got a pointless answer in the jackpot round of Pointless Celebrities, Beatles question too. Small victories...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Caught up with last week's Gone Fishing on iPlayer, and one of Bob's anecdotes has haunted me all day. His mother was widowed when he was young, and she never remarried. In fact, she spent most of the rest of her life all on her own. One day, when Bob was over for a visit, she asked him out of the blue for a hug. Now he realises how lonely she must have been, and wishes he'd told her he loved her. It's not just the rivers that are deep on that programme...

Gawd, the story of Bob's mum just gets sadder - tonight's episode had him describing how, when he was a kid, he would regularly hear his mother crying alone in her bedroom early in the morning. She's no longer with us, but I feel she could have benefited from the mentions on this show if she was.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Only Connect back at last, and socially distanced! But I was out of practice and did really rubbish with the answers. There's always next week.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I rarely watch TV, just stuff online instead. I'm currently into a reality TV thing on facebook, a bail bond bounty hunter/sheriff called Patty Mayo Kia and his partners tazing and cuffing fugitives. He only looks about 20 years old .. he likes to end each pursuit standing next to his cuffed captive with a cheesy grin and his catch phrase "And remember, we catch a new asshole like this one almost every day!" .. :fire:

contains bad language and some good laughs

https://www.facebook.com/watch/PattyMayo55
It's all acting, you know that? He'd have been shot by now otherwise.

feinman

Account Retired
Reaction score
I’m watching ancient aliens on Netflix as our site nurse has recommended it and wants my opinion, but I’m struggling to get over this geezers Barnet
View attachment 29871
Ancient Aliens is a forehead slapping bunch of nonsense, and Tsoukalos (with the just-been-probed hair) and Childress come up with the silliest stuff... I used to try and watch it with the sound off to just to see the archaeological sites, but then I'd catch a glimpse of hair guy and finally had to turn it off for good.

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
Only 2 more weeks until Fargo S4.
:cheer:

I'm watching Mr Mercedes S2. The possession premise isn't really doing it for me. S1 was grounded, gritty and great. Not sure I'd bother persisting if Brendy G wasn't in it.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Only Connect back at last, and socially distanced! But I was out of practice and did really rubbish with the answers. There's always next week.
Five pointer with the first picture question – accurate in every respect. Boom!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
It's all acting, you know that? He'd have been shot by now otherwise.
Someone else was telling me that: they are real bounty hunters but the filmed stuff is recreations (although some of the taser shots look real to me?).

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Endeavour. Season 7; A story arc about killings on a a towpath, is there one or more than one murderer at work/ Morse and Thursday disagree. Individual episodes involve ESP testing, 1970 General Election and strange accidental deaths. Morse falls in love (again) but it has complications involving an old college friend. Two trips to Venice take place. A bit too melodramatic at times but well worth watching. 8/10.

Ratched: off to a good start, wonderful pastel colours, great costumes and set dressing. Ratched is suitably cunning, perhaps evil but certainly driven. Ep 1 9/10. On Netflix.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Someone else was telling me that: they are real bounty hunters but the filmed stuff is recreations (although some of the taser shots look real to me?).
Total fabrication - Patty Mayo, who poses as sheriff’s deputy on YouTube, revealed as fake

(18 month-old report from a safe Dutch BNO website.)

Patty Mayo, who poses as a sheriff’s deputy in YouTube videos which have been viewed 300 million times, is not affiliated with law enforcement and those who appear in his videos are paid actors, U.S. officials say.
Mayo initially presented himself as a bounty hunter in California, but over the past few months he has represented himself as a sheriff’s deputy, complete with uniform, a vehicle with emergency lights and sirens, and what appears to be a handgun and Taser.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
*doffs cap*
I suspect I've watched every episode of Only Connect; I try to work out OC-type questions when I'm cycling... so a picture of a carousel could only mean one thing to me. If I was on the show itself I may have waited to the second question, but a successful five-pointer can often be the difference between winning and losing.

I was actually surprised that both teams struggled on that question. I'm not an expert on musicals by any stretch of the imagination - my favourite musicals are Singing' in the Rain and Cabaret... and, er, that's about it - but any quizzer should know those. A picture of a carousel (though that may flummox anybody under 45 or 50) and then a US state. Gotcha!

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Ancient Aliens is a forehead slapping bunch of nonsense, and Tsoukalos (with the just-been-probed hair) and Childress come up with the silliest stuff... I used to try and watch it with the sound off to just to see the archaeological sites, but then I'd catch a glimpse of hair guy and finally had to turn it off for good.
There is an Ancient Aliens drinking game. Variations exist but things like a drink every time a map is shown, when a rhetorical question is asked and when Giorgio says “ticknology” get you drunk very quickly.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I suspect I've watched every episode of Only Connect; I try to work out OC-type questions when I'm cycling... so a picture of a carousel could only mean one thing to me. If I was on the show itself I may have waited to the second question, but a successful five-pointer can often be the difference between winning and losing.

I was actually surprised that both teams struggled on that question. I'm not an expert on musicals by any stretch of the imagination - my favourite musicals are Singing' in the Rain and Cabaret... and, er, that's about it - but any quizzer should know those. A picture of a carousel (though that may flummox anybody under 45 or 50) and then a US state. Gotcha!

I got the film title one, but not on the first clue. Was kicking myself I didn't get the Rodgers and Hammerstein! For some reason I always think of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein in 2000AD (?) when those composers are mentioned.

feinman

Account Retired
Reaction score
There is an Ancient Aliens drinking game. Variations exist but things like a drink every time a map is shown, when a rhetorical question is asked and when Giorgio says “ticknology” get you drunk very quickly.
If I was looking for a reason to start drinking again, that would be a good one! Also, I think even watching it again for any period with the sound on would force me to the sauce once more (and no one could blame me) :boozing:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score

I usually wait for "ancient astronaut theorists say 'yes'"
Another drinking game is to have a drink every time some irrelevant, random bit of stock footage appears to illustrate the commentary - this usually happens in various UFO/unsolved mystery documentaries. One that stands out for me was a retelling of Flight 19, where the voice-over said they took off in Grumman Avenger torpedo bombers - that bit was right. Then for the next few minutes "Flight 19" was illustrated with shots of B17 Flying Fortresses, a Heinkel 111 and a DC3 among others. I can't remember what that programme was as I was very, very, drunk at the time.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
... random bit of stock footage appears to illustrate the commentary...
Kind of along the same lines, trying to think where I had seen a wonderful example of stock footage, just a couple weeks ago.

It was something to do with a forum topic...

It was an old film, not a documentary and at the beginning featured supposed 'live newsreel footage' from across the world...

I know... Flash Gordon!!!

Found source and it's right at the beginning, just after...

"We are doomed Professor Gordon, the planet is running madly towards the earth...". :p

Look out for the contemporary perception of people living in Africa...!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Top of the Pops: Story of 1990. Adamski: WTF?! Lindy Layton: "Come with me if you want to live!" MC Tunes: Shaun Ryder's lost brother? Betty Boo: was interviewed but Vanilla Ice wasn't - advantage Betty. Bring on the 90s!