What TV Are You Watching?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Nope, he said it twice. The caption did indeed say it but by the time that came up he had already referred to it himself as happening in 1962.

I was too busy listening to the music! Maybe he could go back in time to save face?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We're watching Raised by Wolves. Pretty mad.

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
Neil Brand's TV music doc on BBC4 tonight was just excellent. Obviously he couldn't mention all the classics, but the way he explained the ones he covered was so good, you really did listen to them afresh, even the ones you've heard thousands of times. Next week: adverts and idents! The Shake 'n' Vac jingle: justice at last!

Idents you say?

:yay:

*sets freesat box to record*

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Just watched Part 1 of the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Much better than I expected, really dark. It does have some of the trappings of teen drama but the horror element is pretty strong and most of the time it's not tongue in cheek. Murders, hangings, curses, necromancy and actual Devil Worship. Not to mention Cannibalism, Exorcisms, the Red Angel of Death and Sleep Demons Great fun indeed! Kiernan Shipka is superb as Sabrina. On Netflix. 8/10.

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
I'm cosily watching Midsomer Murders. Unrealistic, pretty scenery, spot-the-best-known-actor-because-they-will-be-the-murderer, all that stuff. It's great.

Midsomer Murders is great isn't it, for when you just want something easy to watch if you're feeling a bit under the weather or its cold out and you just want to light the fire and have some chocolate etc.

Miss Marple (Geraldine McEwan version of course) and Poirot are also good for similar moments.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Neil Brand on BBC4 tonight discussing the Esso tiger ad theme with Jeff Wayne - that's entertainment!

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Midsomer Murders is great isn't it, for when you just want something easy to watch if you're feeling a bit under the weather or its cold out and you just want to light the fire and have some chocolate etc.

Miss Marple (Geraldine McEwan version of course) and Poirot are also good for similar moments.
The busiest person in TV Land is the undertaker in Midsomer :)

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I do not know if Disney Plus streaming is outside the U.S. or not.

But today Disney announced 100 streaming projects.

Coming new Black Panther, Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker, Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi, Amy Adams in new Enchanted, Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones, Knives Out number two, Chris Evans as Captain America, more Toy Stories.

Some others are Ashoka Tano from Star Wars, and Whoopi Goldberg in new Sister Act directed by Tyler Perry.

I think this will kill the movie theaters for good.

Disney stock went up 22 dollars today.

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
Earlier this morning we watched one of this week's offerings by Talking Pictures TV that we'd recorded a few days ago. It was a short presented by Bernard Cribbins, which was, according to the description, a programme all about the work of 70s dinner ladies in schools.

"Ooh excellent" we both thought; a bit of nostalgia about school dinners etc. Should be good.

It took only a couple of minutes, once we started watching the recording earlier this morning, to realise that it wasn't quite what we'd expected. I don't know if it was Bernard narrating how careless one of the dinner ladies can be, or his description of how the mincing machine can, quote: "slice off your fingers, twist your arm out of its socket or scalp you" that really gave us the gist of what this programme was all about...

... thank god it was only on for 25 minutes or so, neither of us could have held our hands in front of our eyes for much longer than that.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
You know cruse lines are shedding their ships right and left to be scraped because of the Corona ( not the Mexican beer ).

I predict that movie houses will never recover because streaming TV put the nail in the coffin.

The world is changing at a supersonic rate.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
At the acts, or the presenters?
Both. There were some frankly shocking acts and songs in the '70s. Kermit the Frog for a start. Kermit the sodding Frog. :chuckle:

You're right about the presenters too; most were in their 40s, combovers galore, surrounded by teenage girls, looking like dirty old men.

John Peel is in some episodes. Peel despised the show but was required to present it and his discomfort is obvious.
His response was to subvert the teenage/pop ethos by making dirty jokes, such as 'Here are Dexy's Midnight Runners with Come On Eileen. Or whoever you like, I don't mind.'
Oh my poor sides.

To our surprise we didn't see Savile once, even though the episodes we were watching aren't official BBC ones. They're what people have recorded on VHS and kindly lobbed on YouTube for our entertainment.

Some had no presenters at all, possibly because, I dimly remember, there was a BBC strike. The format was improved no end!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
John Peel actually liked doing TOTP, because he enjoyed taking the piss out of it and there were generally a couple of records on there he really enjoyed, it's only when he felt it was dominating his radio show, so he was known more for TOTP than that, he stopped doing it.

I don't remember the Come On Eileen joke from the repeat run! He did call Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love "A Dickhead in Love", though.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I've only got second-hand memories of 'live' TOtP, as my fiancee of the times worked a camera for the BBC.
I can still spot the episode with Iggy Pop (Real Wild Child) and The Pogues & The Dubliners were on.
1) Iggy swung a mike stand around in his usual energetic way ... and dinged a cameraman on the side of the head, knocking him cold. Not being aware of the happening, the singer carried on, the bent microphone stand being obvious. Over the 'phones, the staff heard "I don't care how he is, is the camera damaged?"
2) The Pogues/Dubliners turned up, absolutely ratted! As they went on to do a (flawless) take, the crew heard on the 'phones "Whatever you do, keep them away from the bar - they're pissed!" and the reply from the Studio Manager "I'm not paid enough to keep ten drunken Irishmen away from the F**king bar!"
:)

Eh, thems were the days!

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Watching a drama series on the life of Bruce Lee. The next episode says Bruce fights an opponent who makes an illegal move. Will Bruce ever walk again? Pretty confident I know the answer to that one before I watch the episode!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
2) The Pogues/Dubliners turned up, absolutely ratted! As they went on to do a (flawless) take, the crew heard on the 'phones "Whatever you do, keep them away from the bar - they're pissed!" and the reply from the Studio Manager "I'm not paid enough to keep ten drunken Irishmen away from the F**king bar!"
:)

Yes, The Pogues were notorious for getting The Dubliners banned from TOTP! Watch out for that new Shane MacGowan documentary - it's really not funny.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Reaction score
Pennyworth season 2 starts tonight in the US.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Whitehouse and Mortimer Gone Fishing Christmas Special on BBC2. Excellent. If the beeb pulls off a better show this year, it’ll be a miracle. No spoilers on this as I found it genuinely moving,

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
A couple on Prime
Filmed in Supermarionation - the story of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's classic shows, Lots of behind the scenes stuff and interviews with the Andersons and voice actors, puppeteers, directors, special effects crew etc. Wonderful stuff.

In My Mind - a documentary about the making of The Prisoner with a very rare interview with Patrick McGoohan who comes over as a very prickly character. Didn't watch all of it as I found McGoohan's abrasive attitude very off-putting.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This has just finished on BBC2.

Highly recommended, it's superbly filmed and definitely one for the family, especially children with an interest in nature.

Attached screenshot indicates it will be available on BBC iPlayer later.

Screenshot_20201221_111106_resize_44.jpg

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Just treated myself to the Space 1999 episode Dragon’s Domain.
Most series have a stand out episode* and this is a mythical tale of pure alien horror that scared the shit out of me when I first watched it in my youth. Yeah OK, the monster is clunky but the way the nightmare creature deals with the victims is proper horror and fits so loosely into Space 1999, it has a narrative that is mostly flashback outside of the rest of the series so it really stands out as a unique one-off.

*Also recommended in this ’standout episodes’ genre is from The Prisoner episode ‘The Girl Who Was Death’ when they wanted to try something different - which I also recommend thricely.

I believe you can find that here...

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Whitehouse and Mortimer Gone Fishing Christmas Special on BBC2. Excellent. If the beeb pulls off a better show this year, it’ll be a miracle. No spoilers on this as I found it genuinely moving,

I've just been watching this and can only agree. Such a simple idea, the fishing isn't really important, it's the jokes and philosophy that matter, and it's oddly profound as well as laugh out loud funny. The whole series has been a triumph. I do feel so terribly sorry for Bob's mum, though.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Right, if you want a good laugh, The Goes Wrong Show did The Nativity last night on BBC1, so it's on iPlayer. Utterly hilarious, I read an interview with them and they say they're dedicated to the improving power of silliness, and it was absolutely ridiculous. If I see a funnier image than their King Herod this Christmas I don't know if I'll survive. Please watch if you want a little escapism and need cheering up.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
OK, I do not know about TV outside of the U.S.

I do not know if Disney plus streaming in available outside of the U.S.

But Disney’s program The Mandalorian in my opinion is great for fellow “Star War junkies “.

Season number two just ended with great reviews.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
Right, if you want a good laugh, The Goes Wrong Show did The Nativity last night on BBC1, so it's on iPlayer. Utterly hilarious, I read an interview with them and they say they're dedicated to the improving power of silliness, and it was absolutely ridiculous. If I see a funnier image than their King Herod this Christmas I don't know if I'll survive. Please watch if you want a little escapism and need cheering up.
"Halo! Halo!"
"Is it me you're looking for?"