What TV Are You Watching?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema was great last night on BBC4, if only because it mentioned Eskimo Nell in primetime (the subject was British comedy and the 1970s sex comedies were featured!).

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Watching Cobra Kai. Currently 100% critic and 93% audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes. But don’t pay any attention to that. Apparently it’s just full of trolls who hate stuff.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Watching Cobra Kai. Currently 100% critic and 93% audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes. But don’t pay any attention to that. Apparently it’s just full of trolls who hate stuff.
I've seen the first two seasons of it and liked it. I have wondered if anyone younger (say the young actors' ages) would be interested in it because the story is, imo, very heavily reliant on the original actors from Karate Kid movies and their back stories. The back stories are relayed by clips from the original movies. The references and the main conflict are around Johnny and Daniel. Even the conflicts involving the kids are as a result of the parents' actions.

I do like that the characters are true to their back stories and so far there is not a huge discrepancy in what happend when and how they react to each other now. My favourite charater is Johnny. I think he has a broader scope for charater development The acting is good from everyone involved.

I have to check out if the 3rd season is out yet.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema was great last night on BBC4, if only because it mentioned Eskimo Nell in primetime (the subject was British comedy and the 1970s sex comedies were featured!).
Very interesting programme. I was never a fan of George Formby but got to respect him for doing a lot of his own stunts back in the days when there probably wasn't much in the way of health and safety.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Very interesting programme. I was never a fan of George Formby but got to respect him for doing a lot of his own stunts back in the days when there probably wasn't much in the way of health and safety.
Does grinning & strumming really require a stunt double?

Disclaimer - I've never actually seen one of his films. The songs are great though.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I binged watched the whole of the first series of 'Staged'. Didn't know anything about it, was just flicking through iPlayer.

Wonderful stuff. Very funny, very sweary, loving Michael Sheen and David Tennant arguing, depressing Adrian Lester, and also surprisingly moving in places. Will start Series 2 when I get time. Judi Dench giving them both a good telling off was worth the price of the licence alone!

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Some schlock horror/Monster movies.
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Reptilicus
20 Million Miles From Earth
And...
The Giant Claw

Mr. Banooka

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Myself and my better half are currently watching:

Psych
Curse of Oak Island Season 8
Lost Gold of WWII Season 2
Chelmsford 123
Disney Gallery / Star Wars: The Making of The Mandalorian

I've been watching (All foreign language):

Alice in Borderland
Sweet Home
Equinox

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I binged watched the whole of the first series of 'Staged'. Didn't know anything about it, was just flicking through iPlayer.

Wonderful stuff. Very funny, very sweary, loving Michael Sheen and David Tennant arguing, depressing Adrian Lester, and also surprisingly moving in places. Will start Series 2 when I get time. Judi Dench giving them both a good telling off was worth the price of the licence alone!
Staged is genius.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I've now only just completed the 'cleaning out' and re-arranging my large collection of DVD's and VHS tapes (remember them?) and as a result I've been reminded of a few I'm keeping but haven't seen for a long while.
"Beowulf" with Christopher Lambert? "The King of Jutand" with Gabriel Byrne and Helen Mirran; "Sundown: Vampires in Retreat", my VHS copy signed by David Carradine; "Maniac Cop"; several eighties action movies featuring Rutger Hauer - I'm a fan - including "The Dangerous Game"; The Comic Strip's "Supergrass". Etc. etc.
This 'clearing out' has led me to unearthing some 80's sword 'n' sorcery movies on You Tube including ... well ... the Sword and The Sorcerer and The Beastmaster.
T'missus has made me promise that I won't continue my dive into nostalgia unless I'm at home alone while she takes the dogs out for a walk. A very long walk.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
Inmate#1: The Rise of Danny Trejo on Sky Documentaries.

An inspiring documentary about movie tough guy Danny Trejo and how he escaped a life of drugs, violent crime and prison to becoming a movie star. He comes over as a very down to earth (still lives in the neighbourhood he grew up in), good-humoured, generous person who is clearly grateful for the chance he had to turn his life around and is willing to help others do the same.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

An inspiring documentary about movie tough guy Danny Trejo and how he escaped a life of drugs, violent crime and prison to becoming a movie star. He comes over as a very down to earth (still lives in the neighbourhood he grew up in), good-humoured, generous person who is clearly grateful for the chance he had to turn his life around and is willing to help others do the same.
He also has a chain of Taco and Donut fast food restaurants and is well known for feeding the hungry, the needy and the homeless and giving back to the less fortunate. He seems like a truly decent man.

Last edited:

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
He also has a chain of Taco and Donut fast food restaurants and is well known for feeding the hungry, the needy and the homeless and giving back to the less fortunate. He seems like a truly decent man.
I have always enjoyed the movies he has been in -Dusk to Dawn, Desperado and several others. I was aware of his history as I tend to look up some actors online if I find them interesting and not run of the mill. It is nice to see that he is getting the attention he deserves and not being overlooked as a character actor.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema: Cult Movies. I demand a director's cut! I also demand the finest wines available to humanity. A wonderful hour, but I was hankering for more. Always leave 'em wanting more, I suppose...

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema: Cult Movies. I demand a director's cut! I also demand the finest wines available to humanity. A wonderful hour, but I was hankering for more. Always leave 'em wanting more, I suppose...
It was brilliant, the best of the three recent ones and the other two were great. Now watching Score: Cinemas Greatest Soundtracks.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I'm a bit late with this, but just caught up with the first episode of It's a Sin, the new Russell T. Davies show. Great to see he isn't losing his touch, this was really good, but no matter how many laughs there are in it, I'm bracing myself for tragedy. It reminds me of a documentary I saw with nurses discussing working on AIDS wards in the 1980s, which is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Recommended if you have a strong emotional constitution.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
Caught the first episode of Resident Alien on Sky One. Alan Tudyk stars as an alien stranded on Earth who assumes the identity of a doctor and becomes the doc for a small town, the only problem is that a young boy has a genetic condition which means he can see the doc's true alien form.
Looks promising with fish-out-of-water humour combined with dark humour and really gorgeous scenery.

Mr. Banooka

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
We‘ve been catching up with The Blacklist recently. Just watched Season 8 Episode 4 last night. The show has kept us guessing (wrongly in most cases) from the start.

It’s interesting how many IMDB commenters seem to hate Liz and want her out of the show because they don‘t like the way she is behaving. Complaints of bad writing, and Liz would never behave that way. My wife and I discussed this and had come to the same conclusion that the reason Liz is behaving the way she is now is because of the terrible way Reddington has treated her and lied to her from the start. Compound that with the other members of her family who are lying to her, a sham first marriage to Tom, arranged by Reddington, Her and Tom finally getting married for real and then Tom being killed; I’m not surprised she is behaving irrationally and is out for blood. It would send anyone off the rails. Of course she uses people, she‘s learnt from the best.

it has been renewed for a 9th season already and we’re only 4 episodes into season 8. I just hope it can keep up the pace and keep us guessing.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Have you seen him having a foot massage? :chuckle:

Also, he features in this lovely Breaking Bad homage.

Attachments

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I watched The Dig on Netflix. Wonderful wonderful film (hope it qualifies for this forum). The most said with the least number of words of anything I think I've ever seen.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Three episodes in to "It's A Sin" - what a rollercoaster.

I'm not sure I can take any more, but we're planning on watching the final two tonight.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Three episodes in to "It's A Sin" - what a rollercoaster.

I'm not sure I can take any more, but we're planning on watching the final two tonight.
I'm watching them as Channel 4 show them, so please no spoilers! It is great, though.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching Season 4 of The Good Place. Wow. Very well done.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm watching them as Channel 4 show them, so please no spoilers! It is great, though.
lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

You had to look, didn't you?

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Watched Series 2 of Ghosts. Wonderful. Now watching the Midsomer Murders episode 'The Fisher King' with THE most unconvincing barrow I have ever seen, no ring ditch in sight and too many characters related to each other. I lost track half an hour ago and am now just watching for the scenery and to shout at the barrow.