What TV Are You Watching?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Watched Series 2 of Ghosts. Wonderful. Now watching the Midsomer Murders episode 'The Fisher King' with THE most unconvincing barrow I have ever seen, no ring ditch in sight and too many characters related to each other. I lost track half an hour ago and am now just watching for the scenery and to shout at the barrow.

We need a thread on 'TV dramas with supernatural episodes'. :D

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm watching them as Channel 4 show them, so please no spoilers! It is great, though.
Are you watching them as God intended? :chuckle:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Schitt's Creek: "...the series follows the formerly wealthy Rose family's trials and tribulations. After Rose's business manager embezzles the family business, Rose Video, the family loses its fortune and relocates to Schitt's Creek, a small town they once purchased as a joke. Now living in a motel, Johnny Rose (Eugene Levy) and Moira Rose (Catherine O'Hara)—along with their adult children, David (Dan Levy) and Alexis (Annie Murphy)—must adjust to life without money and with each other."

Consistently amusing and beautifully played. We're bingeing almost a series per night.

maximus otter

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
If you have sky tv Sapphire and Steel are currently being broadcast on Forces TV so you don’t need to put up with crap visual quality.
It's also on freeview ch 8 - London Live. Not sure how far outside the London area it extends though. Next showing tomorrow 7pm. Danger Man follows.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I am jealous! I want to watch Sapphire and Steel! But, at the moment, weather conditions being what they are, I can't even get BBC One.

Is it anywhere on Netflix or Prime?

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
I am jealous! I want to watch Sapphire and Steel! But, at the moment, weather conditions being what they are, I can't even get BBC One.

Is it anywhere on Netflix or Prime?
No and no, sorry.

DVDs are not even easy to come by. It’s definitely something I would be tempted to buy.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I don't catch the Simpsons often but switched on Sunday morning to see them squashed by Rick and Morty's spacecraft (who then tried to re-clone them). Interesting direction for Childrens' TV.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Whilst browsing about on Prime today I found a thing called 'Ghostly Trails'. It's a one hour programme, seemingly aimed at the American 'isn't Britain quaint and old' market, made about 20 odd years ago. He visits various places and talks about the ghost stories behind them (one or two were new to me). But the most interesting part is right at the beginning where he talks about being the ghost at his own childhood home.

It was very very slow, with lots of long, lingering shots of stately homes etc, but quietly fun in a non-spooky and really quite down to earth way.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I don't catch the Simpsons often but switched on Sunday morning to see them squashed by Rick and Morty's spacecraft (who then tried to re-clone them). Interesting direction for Childrens' TV.
The Simpsons isn't really a kids show, despite the Snoopy levels of marketing it's had down the years. It's more like Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. Gets Homer?

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The Simpsons isn't really a kids show, despite the Snoopy levels of marketing it's had down the years. It's more like Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. Gets Homer?
The Simpsons has always been set on two levels. My daughter will watch it with me these days and we'll laugh at different things.

What is noticeable is that Bart was very much the central character early on, but the writers soon cottoned on to how much they could do with Homer.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Got hooked into "Manifest" on Sky yesterday, thanks to the intriguingly Fortean aircraft timeslip that starts the story.
By the 2nd episode though, it all seems to be descending into character-driven melodrama.
Has anyone stayed the course with Manifest and can advise (without spoilers please!) whether it's worth staying the course, or is this just another Lost-style shaggy dog story?

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Got hooked into "Manifest" on Sky yesterday, thanks to the intriguingly Fortean aircraft timeslip that starts the story.
By the 2nd episode though, it all seems to be descending into character-driven melodrama.
Has anyone stayed the course with Manifest and can advise (without spoilers please!) whether it's worth staying the course, or is this just another Lost-style shaggy dog story?
It goes back to Fortean themes and ideas. Third series has been commissioned so no idea where it ultimately ends up yet. I enjoyed the first two series and will be watching the third.

Raven

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I've just got Discovery Plus for a one month trial, can anyone recommend anything with Fortean themes or true crime please?

Raven

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
No and no, sorry.

DVDs are not even easy to come by. It’s definitely something I would be tempted to buy.
I would love to get the boxset but fear it will prove as disappointing a purchase as Tales of the Unexpected, which I have retitled Tales of the OH FFS!

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Finished The I.T. Crowd for the umpteenth time. Trying an Austalian/UK one from a year or so back, Frayed. Mainly because I saw Diane Morgan is in it. Sort of Schitts Creek goes down under, kinda.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
I would love to get the boxset but fear it will prove as disappointing a purchase as Tales of the Unexpected, which I have retitled Tales of the OH FFS!
Tales of the Guessable! I’ve been rewatching Sapphire and Steel and I am thoroughly enjoying it, an excellent show. Unlike say Space 1999 which I am so glad I did not buy!

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
Haven't been reading the thread so apologies if it's already been discussed, but has anyone here been watching 'resident alien'? I'm onto the third episode and quite like it. :)

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Haven't been reading the thread so apologies if it's already been discussed, but has anyone here been watching 'resident alien'? I'm onto the third episode and quite like it. :)
Yep, I'm really enjoying it. Some good "WTF did he just say?" laugh out loud moments

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Can we get more info for non-UK folks here? what is it?
Dark comedy with Alan Tudyk as an alien sent to destroy Earth but after an accident, he loses his weapon of mass destruction and has to disguise himself as a human. The identity he takes on is that of the local doctor which then involves him in a murder case, along with various fish out of water mishaps as he tries to cope with being a human - and to complicate things, there is a kid in the town who can see through his disguise.

dejanmikic

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
sorry BP2 - I meant where can we watch it outside of UK?

Aurora Newman

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Lost In Space. Angels Of The North. Robot Wars. Lots of things on BBC 4. Bettany Hughes Documentaries. Sky At Night.Warwick Industrial Archeology Society Documentaries. Riverdale. Gave up on Sabrina Salem the cat only talked in the first episode. He was the star of the original Sabrina. They also had sickening views on modern day Witch Craft and Wicca. Kept calling a statue of Baphomet , Satan. And just like Shadow Hunters, Supernatural, Lillith was made a big evil player. They're never going to do something New on Lillith. Have her as she was before all the toxicity of centuries society tainting her.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I've just watched the second episode of 'Britain's Lost Masterpieces'. I find it oddly therapeutic. I'd like a bit more of the 'social history' side of things rather than skipping down corridors of big houses though. I didn't find learning about Tatton Hall's installation of a rail system to deliver coal particularly enlightening on the subject of a sixteenth century Italian painting.

But I suppose it might interest a subset of viewers who wouldn't otherwise have watched. So.

Aurora Newman

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I've just watched the second episode of 'Britain's Lost Masterpieces'. I find it oddly therapeutic. I'd like a bit more of the 'social history' side of things rather than skipping down corridors of big houses though. I didn't find learning about Tatton Hall's installation of a rail system to deliver coal particularly enlightening on the subject of a sixteenth century Italian painting.

But I suppose it might interest a subset of viewers who wouldn't otherwise have watched. So.
I i have been meaning to watch this. That Emma Dabiri is quite pretty. It does have other stuff that interests me though

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ru Paul's Drag Race UK (one of my favourite shows) currently part way through season. And we've been bingeing Better Call Saul.