What TV Are You Watching?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Going to give this one a shot! Thanks for the heads up.
We tried that. Beautiful scenery but couldn't get on with the narrators' voices droning on like motorboats.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I rather enjoyed 'Afeared'. It had the inquisitorial nature that I really want from my ghost stories. And I learned a LOT about the Ulster Scots. Perhaps more, and slightly more repetitively than I would have liked, but that's my fault for watching all three episodes back to back. I'd love to see more like this, about different regions of the UK.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Just finished It's a Sin, bit early to call the drama of the year, but it has to be a contender. Keeley Hawes was formidable in that last episode. Bold statement at the end. BAFTAs all round, please.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The sheriff had a great line the other week - "I want it so quiet I can hear a mouse piss on cotton." I'm now desperate for a situation where I can use it
That's a Sopranos quote. Well, silent as a mouse pissing on cotton. :chuckle:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Zen: BBC series from 2011. Rufus Sewell stars as Italian DI Aurelio Zen, based on novels by Michael Dibdin. Corruption, P2 style conspiracies, kidnappings. Showing on Drama Channel. 8/10.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The fall and rise of Reginald Perrin is on BBC4 tonight.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Mrs Cycleboy and I have been watching the TV adaptations of Robert B Parker's Jesse Stone novels starring Tom Selleck. They've been on C5 over the last few months, though they've been showing them out of order, so characters come back from the dead occasionally! Aside from that, I've been very impressed; Tom Selleck is very good – surprisingly so – as the, yep, grizzled alcoholic big-city cop who's working in a small Maine town.

I think they capture the spirit of the novels pretty well – I'm a big fan of the late, great RBP – the cinematography is great, the music excellent. The pace can be pedestrian but that never worries me. Most recommended.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Mrs Cycleboy and I have been watching the TV adaptations of Robert B Parker's Jesse Stone novels starring Tom Selleck. They've been on C5 over the last few months, though they've been showing them out of order, so characters come back from the dead occasionally! Aside from that, I've been very impressed; Tom Selleck is very good – surprisingly so – as the, yep, grizzled alcoholic big-city cop who's working in a small Maine town.

I think they capture the spirit of the novels pretty well – I'm a big fan of the late, great RBP – the cinematography is great, the music excellent. The pace can be pedestrian but that never worries me. Most recommended.
They've been showing them on a loop for years :p

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I tried watching the Expanse again after failing to engage with it when it first came out. I realised why I dropped out as the audio mix was terrible and I couldn’t make out the dialogue at all over the music and clunking industrial noises drowning it out. I just can’t watch this show.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I tried watching the Expanse again after failing to engage with it when it first came out. I realised why I dropped out as the audio mix was terrible and I couldn’t make out the dialogue at all over the music and clunking industrial noises drowning it out. I just can’t watch this show.
Techy likes the 'Star Trek universe' shows, the sort Galaxy Quest parodied, but I can't bear them because of the 'realistic' mechanical background hum.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Tony Robinson - Walking Through History. It's lovely and peaceful and I'm learning bits of history at the same time. Plus my lovely, lovely Sir Tone.
He is great isn't he? His conclusion of what was The Worst Job In History is spot-on and he even tried an appropriate punishment.

Also, when he tried to narrate his enactment of treading fabric in urine to condition it, over constant spontaneous retching - PERFECT television. :chuckle:

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been watching Haven recently. A series which finished in 2015 so a bit slow to the boat!

Based on a Stephen King story The Colorado Kid. It takes place in Maine (of course) featuring a town which has "troubles", these are abilities which can be hazardous to life.

First four series are excellent. The fifth, and final, series is still good but predictable at times, a bit soap operaish at times as well. Not quite at the end yet...

Available on Amazon Prime.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Tony Robinson - Walking Through History. It's lovely and peaceful and I'm learning bits of history at the same time. Plus my lovely, lovely Sir Tone.
I could do with something chilled like that at the moment, thanks .. I'll look it up.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Waking The Dead is showing on the Drama Channel. I know there are some episodes I haven't seen, managed to cross one off my list. Magdalene 26. Series 8 29009, Magdalene Laundry, kidnapping, Turkish gangsters, a link to a double murder in 1967. Great episode.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Is it just me or does 'The Colour Out Of Space' sound like something from Rugrats?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Knight Fight on Blaze (uk freeview ch63)

images (17).jpeg