What TV Are You Watching?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
One of the greatest sitcoms ever made.

It's interesting to watch a good run of Seinfeld episodes, then watch Father Ted or the IT Crowd, and see how many scenes are clearly "heavily inspired" by similar ones in Seinfeld. Including the Father Ted one where he is mistaken for Hitler.
I never knew that.
But Father Ted did it so much better!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I STILL, despite the protestations of the Mast People, have no terrestrial TV. I'm constantly amazed by how difficult it is to find anything to watch, despite the fact I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix, plus access to all the catch up channels. Unless I already know what I want to watch, I'm finding it hard to find suitable programmes. There doesn't seem to be a search function for 'not too demanding but a decent storyline and good character development, preferably spread over several series and with some laughs in.'

I'm currently watching Silent Witness, that's how desperate I am.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I STILL, despite the protestations of the Mast People, have no terrestrial TV. I'm constantly amazed by how difficult it is to find anything to watch, despite the fact I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix, plus access to all the catch up channels. Unless I already know what I want to watch, I'm finding it hard to find suitable programmes. There doesn't seem to be a search function for 'not too demanding but a decent storyline and good character development, preferably spread over several series and with some laughs in.'

I'm currently watching Silent Witness, that's how desperate I am.
Are you a long way away from the transmitter? Are you in a bit of a dip or surrounded by mountains?
Maybe the TV needs retuning?

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Are you a long way away from the transmitter? Are you in a bit of a dip or surrounded by mountains?
Maybe the TV needs retuning?
It's still the fallout from the Bilsdale Transmitter fire that took out the mast. The company has put up 'booster masts' all over the place and swear blind that 'nearly everyone' is now covered. I - and an awful lot of other people - seem to be in a 'black spot'. Even though I am on the top of a hill within direct line of sight of the old Bilsdale mast. They keep putting out 'retune your TV, you should be able to pick up the signal from the new booster' messages. I retune on average three times a week. Still no signal from anywhere.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
It's still the fallout from the Bilsdale Transmitter fire that took out the mast. The company has put up 'booster masts' all over the place and swear blind that 'nearly everyone' is now covered. I - and an awful lot of other people - seem to be in a 'black spot'. Even though I am on the top of a hill within direct line of sight of the old Bilsdale mast. They keep putting out 'retune your TV, you should be able to pick up the signal from the new booster' messages. I retune on average three times a week. Still no signal from anywhere.
Maybe getting a satellite antenna and a Freesat box is the way to go?

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
have no terrestrial TV.
You could get a monthly sub for NowTV which gives you lots of terrestrial channels. That doesn't cost a lot.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I'd like to see a reboot of Fantasy Island.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
You could get a monthly sub for NowTV which gives you lots of terrestrial channels. That doesn't cost a lot.
Yeah, my friend J has that. It does depend on Internet speed and reliability, though.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Yeah, my friend J has that. It does depend on Internet speed and reliability, though.
I've got enough TV to get through with Amazon and Netflix plus 4OD IPlayer, ITVHub and all the rest. It's just the fact that I can't FIND anything on any of them to actually watch! If I use the search function I have to know what to search for. I tried Paranormal yesterday and just got a load of 'on subscription' ghost hunter type shows.

Trevp666

Reaction score
You could try looking at the online versions of the tv guides for each terrestrial channel, such as 'All4', to give you some ideas. Okay so you might not be able to watch the live broadcast terrestrial channel itself, but you'll most likely be able to find an online copy, or streamed, version of any programs you might take a fancy to. Or on youtube - a lot of regular programs get uploaded there, and there are many, many channels of independently produced programs that are as good as (or sometimes better than) the stuff available from the usual main TV channels.
Depending on your interests you can find all sorts of stuff to interest you - my faves are things like 'Hubnut' (based on ownership of clapped out bangers), 'Tom Scott' (each episode deals with some odd fringe topic along the lines of 'I did not know that'), 'Paul and Rebecca Whitewick' (who go adventuring along old disused railway lines, canals, and geographic forgotten history in the UK), 'Jago Hazzard' (brilliant, one of my favourites, he makes very entertaining short films about the driest of subjects, The London Underground...), 'Century 21 Films' (terrible low-budget supermarionation films using salvaged puppets and scenery from old Gerry Anderson series), but I also watch a load of 'comment' stuff, some which is generally about current affairs, news etc but also political comment, and a few other car channels and F1 stuff.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Years ago when satellite was new and possibly experimental, a remote village had such bad TV reception that they all had cable installed free by the council or summat. So when cable became the big thing they were all geared up for it!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
You could try looking at the online versions of the tv guides for each terrestrial channel, such as 'All4', to give you some ideas. Okay so you might not be able to watch the live broadcast terrestrial channel itself, but you'll most likely be able to find an online copy, or streamed, version of any programs you might take a fancy to. Or on youtube - a lot of regular programs get uploaded there, and there are many, many channels of independently produced programs that are as good as (or sometimes better than) the stuff available from the usual main TV channels.
Depending on your interests you can find all sorts of stuff to interest you - my faves are things like 'Hubnut' (based on ownership of clapped out bangers), 'Tom Scott' (each episode deals with some odd fringe topic along the lines of 'I did not know that'), 'Paul and Rebecca Whitewick' (who go adventuring along old disused railway lines, canals, and geographic forgotten history in the UK), 'Jago Hazzard' (brilliant, one of my favourites, he makes very entertaining short films about the driest of subjects, The London Underground...), 'Century 21 Films' (terrible low-budget supermarionation films using salvaged puppets and scenery from old Gerry Anderson series), but I also watch a load of 'comment' stuff, some which is generally about current affairs, news etc but also political comment, and a few other car channels and F1 stuff.
I've not done YouTube before but I've heard such good things about so many programmes on there that I am going to have to go and look. Thank you for the recommendations to get me started!

Trevp666

Reaction score
I've not done YouTube before but I've heard such good things about so many programmes on there that I am going to have to go and look. Thank you for the recommendations to get me started!
Yeah I think people who might not be overly familiar with youtube think that it's just kitten videos and people letting off fireworks from their bumholes and such....
But no - it has a marvellously diverse number of different 'channels' that you can subscribe to (subscription costs nothing - it just means that it will advise you of all the content from that channel) and you can look up all sorts of stuff, almost like an encyclopaedia but filmed instead of written down.
I guarantee you that you could pretty much pick any subject and there will be a whole channel dedicated to it with many different bits of film.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Yeah I think people who might not be overly familiar with youtube think that it's just kitten videos and people letting off fireworks from their bumholes and such....
But no - it has a marvellously diverse number of different 'channels' that you can subscribe to (subscription costs nothing - it just means that it will advise you of all the content from that channel) and you can look up all sorts of stuff, almost like an encyclopaedia but filmed instead of written down.
I guarantee you that you could pretty much pick any subject and there will be a whole channel dedicated to it with many different bits of film.
Happily tucked up in front of many Fortean talks, with a cup of tea and some cake. It's wonderful!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
And now I am watching 'Bill', from the Horrible Histories/Ghosts team. Funny and rather sweet. Am rationing myself because when it's over....

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Watched Murder Island today, and just couldn't engage with it. I enjoyed the scenery more than anything else, which suggests it's probably not for me.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
Currently watching adult animation Inside Job on the Netflix. Lots for fans of conspiracy theories. A young woman genius works for an organisation called Cognito, Inc. that handles all the deep state stuff. Basically every conspiracy theory is real in some sense, from hollow earth to reptoid overlords. I'm enjoying it.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
And now I am watching 'Bill', from the Horrible Histories/Ghosts team. Funny and rather sweet. Am rationing myself because when it's over....

That's a really funny film! You can tell it has the same sense of humour as Ghosts.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I have horror bites so I’ve caught up on the first 3 episodes.
I'm sure I see Ayshea in the background sometimes (a source of pre-teen anxiety). I know about Bandersnatch Cabbagewank's mum being in it but wasn't aware of Anouska Hempel and Steven Berkoff. Lovely to think of a futuristic uniform modelled on a string vest.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
It is Ayshea. And on top of that, Lois Maxwell did a brief stint in episode 3 too.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm watching a French cartoon called `Rahan` on Youtube.

(Made by a company called Xilan, all their stuff is on Youtube linked from their website; make sure you are on the English version of their site cause the French leads to the French language stuff...mighty clever these French...)

Its very Fortean because although Rahan is a complete Skeptic (I was going to call him a Rationalist but he's seemingly unmovable in the face of personal experiences). His friend is a Shaman and he spends a lot of time fighting the Shadow Queen, a quite genuinely scary demon (But the VA is of a tired schoolmarm with spooky reverb. (as all schoolmarms have) maybe that was intentional?)

Though this is most emphatically not True Anime it is of the same school as all those French Animes that are so very worth watching.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Was watching a newish TV drama while I stuffed myself ate my lunch. A woman in it is very stressed with what's going on and eventually she faints, flat on the floor as they say.

Like an Edwardian lady swooning, when they get the smelling salts* out.
Seems a bit unrealistic to me. Chucking up would be more like it.

*Apparently modern athletes use them.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
What was the newish horror anthology series someone was watching recently?