What TV Are You Watching?

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Not currently watching. I did as a small kid when it was shown on BBC and found it totally bizarre And a bit wrong. I think this whole show fucked my head up for about 3 years. It was probably at this point in time I realised europe could be a very odd place.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Not currently watching. I did as a small kid when it was shown on BBC and found it totally bizarre And a bit wrong. I think this whole show fucked my head up for about 3 years. It was probably at this point in time I realised europe could be a very odd place.

Released on Blu-ray a couple of weeks ago. It has an interview with the actress who played the Princess, and she says in Germany people come up to her and thank her for starring in such a lovely part of their childhood. Mind you, they were in East Germany.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Clive Anderson at the Rollright Stones in Mystic Britain on Smithsonian channel.
Again.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I've just been giving 'The Goes Wrong Show' a go.

What am I missing? Admittedly, I didn't like Ghosts when I first tried it, but TGWS is just actors pretending to be bad actors. Which is mildy amusing once, like Les Dawson pretending not to be able to play the piano. Funny for about thirty seconds, but then you've got the point and had enough. So I watched half of one TGWS episode, with all the knowing winks and scripted terribleness and....just didn't get it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Clive Anderson at the Rollright Stones in Mystic Britain on Smithsonian channel.
Again.
I saved all those for Techy when they were first on as he knows many of the locations. He talked all the way through it as if it was just some old rubbish on in the background. I've never fathomed that.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score

What am I missing? Admittedly, I didn't like Ghosts when I first tried it, but TGWS is just actors pretending to be bad actors. Which is mildy amusing once, like Les Dawson pretending not to be able to play the piano. Funny for about thirty seconds, but then you've got the point and had enough. So I watched half of one TGWS episode, with all the knowing winks and scripted terribleness and....just didn't get it.
Dire isn’t it? I watched one episode. Never again.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

I love it, it's basically farce, which has always been like the "lowest form of humour" in theatre (though satire is what closes Saturday night), but I don't have a problem with that. The more you watch, the more you get to know the "actors", the recent one with their improv sessions especially - the "Hey, wow!" dance they did was hilarious! Also, the whole ensemble's timing is impeccable.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I admit that I'm probably doing it a disservice by not 'getting to know it'. But isn't TV (like a book) supposed to grab you right at the start and make you feel part of the action? You don't buy a book if you're told 'yeah, it's rubbish for the first nine chapters, but stick with it, it gets good later on'. I can see how it works, you become part of the 'in joke' by knowing who hates whom, who fancies whom and who is just a plain old show off, but I'm not entirely sure that I want to.
I love it, it's basically farce, which has always been like the "lowest form of humour" in theatre (though satire is what closes Saturday night), but I don't have a problem with that. The more you watch, the more you get to know the "actors", the recent one with their improv sessions especially - the "Hey, wow!" dance they did was hilarious! Also, the whole ensemble's timing is impeccable.

TangletwigsDeux

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Me too, it has me in literal tears at times and amazingly my daughter also now loves it after dad pushed her gently into watching it. Horses for courses I suppose, and I'm a very daft horse!

goeswrong3.jpg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Me too, it has me in literal tears at times and amazingly my daughter also now loves it after dad pushed her gently into watching it. Horses for courses I suppose, and I'm a very daft horse!

View attachment 47552

Great! It does seem to have a wide appeal, and it's nice to have a comedy show the whole family can watch.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Worzel Gummidge was excellent tonight, despite plainly not being filmed in November (I know Autumn was late this year, but not THAT late). The makeup in this show is amazing. I seem to remember Jon Pertwee's Worzel ending up on a bonfire too, guess it's based on the same original story. Anyway, beautifully made, Toby Jones was great, all six of him, but those kids look old enough to drive now.

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
We just finished What We Do In the Shadows, currently watching Dopesick, the miniseries about the Sacklers, OxyContin & the ongoing opioid crisis. Also the Eric Andre Show, if you like absurd and disgusting humor :D

gridban

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Just watched Neighbor on Netflix, a Spanish comedy about a guy who becomes a superhero after an alien crashlands on Earth and gives him special powers. It's very silly but I enjoyed it, the second series touches on Fortean themes, in a ridiculous way.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Valley of Tears: Set during the Yom Kippur war on the northern front. Follows the action in three threads, a tank platoon, isolated but fighting on; a base which is overrun by Syrian commandos but fighting continues in the corridors and tunnels; a trio trying to make their way to the front. Pretty good so far. On More4 Fridays and on All4.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Is Todd Carty OK? Was watching Pointless Celebrities tonight and he seemed fragile. Even Lesley Ash looked more robust. His description of what he does now (watch Netflix docs and eat pies) sounded pretty tragic.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Well he is 58...well past it.

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
We just started the new season (5) of Big Mouth on Netflix.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Is Todd Carty OK? Was watching Pointless Celebrities tonight and he seemed fragile. Even Lesley Ash looked more robust. His description of what he does now (watch Netflix docs and eat pies) sounded pretty tragic.
I don't think he's had much work in the last few years.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I can sort of see why, he didn't look well. Took the shine off the quizzing.
Quite a few actors become alcoholic and don't look after themselves. Then they wonder why they can't find work.
It's a catch-22 situation.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I don't think he's alcoholic, a web search reveals he's had a few health scares over the past couple of decades, though, maybe that's what's wrong.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Released on Blu-ray a couple of weeks ago. It has an interview with the actress who played the Princess, and she says in Germany people come up to her and thank her for starring in such a lovely part of their childhood. Mind you, they were in East Germany.
I bought the DVD years ago and it really is a very strange piece of television - if memory serves I also wrote a small piece on it when I worked for SFX magazine.

The last page used to be an opinion piece, where one of the team writes about their favourite show/film etc. I also wrote about A Matter of Life and Death, which is officially the best film ever!!

Giant R

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
As a massive Joe fan I am amazed I havent watched this, but something keeps putting me off.
Me too. Its strange as he plays the straighter part in the series too, almost like the only normal one in his family . It is also a bit weird if you watch series 1 and then 2 straight after as I did as quite a lot of the cast change between the two.
Worth a watch though I think - I particularly like his weird schoolfriend who keeps pestering him for a hug :chuckle: