What TV Are You Watching?

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Watching an episode of Monsterquest where they are in the wilds around the Congo. They have met up with a village which has had no contact with the outside world. Is that so? Where did their jeans and T shirts come from? What about the outboard motors on their canoes? And how can half of them speak English?

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Urrrgghhh, nooo. Posh kids. :chuckle:

You have brought to light the reason for my lifelong aversion to the Lion etc. :chuckle:

It's down to the 10-part black and white BBC TV adaptation of it in 1967 featuring blokes prancing in unconvincing animal suits and some very posh kids.
(Most children seen on British TV at the time were drama school kids, often with cut-glass accents. We scruffs longed to punch them.)

Worst, it was shown on Sunday evenings to a captive audience.
We suspected it must be religious or at least worthy to be seen in that slot. We were right. :wink2:

That was ITV (ATV). You'll be pleased to know there's only two episodes left in existence, the rest were wiped. I'll bet Harry Secombe couldn't show up quickly enough (in about 20 years' time).

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Quite enjoyed the first episode of The Wheel of Time on Prime tonight.
Werewolves and Minotaurs attacking a medieval village isn't something you see every day.
Wonder if this can fill that Game of Thrones size hole.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Urrrgghhh, nooo. Posh kids. :chuckle:

You have brought to light the reason for my lifelong aversion to the Lion etc. :chuckle:

It's down to the 10-part black and white BBC TV adaptation of it in 1967 featuring blokes prancing in unconvincing animal suits and some very posh kids.
(Most children seen on British TV at the time were drama school kids, often with cut-glass accents. We scruffs longed to punch them.)

Worst, it was shown on Sunday evenings to a captive audience.
We suspected it must be religious or at least worthy to be seen in that slot. We were right. :wink2:
I have a tale about posh kids, ruffians and a most wonderful vicar. Just where to post it.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Quite enjoyed the first episode of The Wheel of Time on Prime tonight.
Werewolves and Minotaurs attacking a medieval village isn't something you see every day.
Wonder if this can fill that Game of Thrones size hole.
I watched Boss Level on Prime. Generally enjoyable way to pass some time, however

What happened at the end? Did they run out of money and decide to just leave it there? No problem with mystery and ambiguity but that was a cop out

No regrets watching it but I won’t watch it again.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good lighthearted comedy drama that is only half hour episodes? I recently got Netflix and sometimes just want to watch some short funny shows. I enjoyed Arrested Development, Seinfeld, The Office, Red Dwarf (which I am working through.) Loved Kim's Convenience, until it was cancelled:(. And just finished Benidorm.

Nothing that mainly features kids or rom/com - ick sickly sentimental crap.
British humour I definitely enjoy over American humour.

Currently all of my watching selections are horror/dystopian/dark fantasy. Which I love, but they are all 45-60 minute programs

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
The Mighty Boosh is a good watch, if rather surreal. Best watched from the start of series 1 as there are some 'in jokes'.

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good lighthearted comedy drama that is only half hour episodes? I recently got Netflix and sometimes just want to watch some short funny shows. I enjoyed Arrested Development, Seinfeld, The Office, Red Dwarf (which I am working through.) Loved Kim's Convenience, until it was cancelled:(. And just finished Benidorm.

Currently all of my watching selections are horror/dystopian/dark fantasy. Which I love, but they are all 45-60 minute programs
Big Mouth! We just finished the latest season. It's a cartoon created by Nick Kroll about middle schoolers and their hormone monsters. It's absolutely disgustingly hilarious. John Mulaney and Maya Rudolph also do voices.

You might also like The Larry Sanders Show, with Garry Shandling.

*edited to say I just realize you said no kids, but trust me...this show is NOT sentimental or cheesy in the least.

Last edited:

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

Still Game fits that bill. Give it a go. Curb Your Enthusiasm maybe, starring Larry David,the co-writer of Seinfeld.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Actually I do like one kid centred show - Young Sheldon. He isn't a snarky smart a**ed kid. And I don't usually like spin offs, but the writers do make the younger Sheldon his own character rather than directly imitating Sheldon from Big Bang.

The actors are a good emsemble and Annie Potts as Sheldon's mima is great.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

On the recommendation of @Stillill - a clip from Still Game.

They speak Scottish. Don't bother with the subtitles. They just make it worse. :chuckle:

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Community
What We Do In The Shadows
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score

Parks and Recreation

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Toast of London.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

Have you ever watched SPACED .. directed by Edgar Wright and starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, all of later Sean Of The Dead fame? .... that was excellent. It's a surreal London flat sharing sit com from the mid 90's.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
On the recommendation of @Stillill - a clip from Still Game.

They speak Scottish. Don't bother with the subtitles. They just make it worse. :chuckle:

Ta. My MIL was raised in Scotland, so no problem there. And I have watched Corrie 30+ years and so can understand most accents. It's usually the slang I don't understand:bpals:

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Have just watched the first episode of Hawkeye. Really enjoyed it. Best opening to a Marvel series so far.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Anyone watch the Beatles Get Back documentary on Disney+? Somewhere between incredibly boring and suddenly springing into life and entertaining. Eight hours was a bit much, but surprised that John Lennon was the best of the Fabs as far as laughs went, I thought he'd been renamed Ron Nasty in The Rutles for a reason, but he was an unexpectedly witty man here.

But the rooftop concert was worth waiting for, if only because it made the boys look like total rebels for sticking it to The Man when the police turned up because they'd had complaints about the noise. Most of the passersby were thoroughly enjoying it, too! Even little old ladies!

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Watched the final (6th) episode of Hellbound last night.
Billed as the Korean natural successor to The Squid Game, there were some superficial similarities, notably where invited VIPs have a grandstand view to watch the victims' demise and as a wry comment on the power of TV and social media, but I reckoned it owed rather more to the original Japanese version of The Ring.
Hapless victims get a visit from a so-called angel, telling them the exact date and time of their death and that they're bound for hell.
When the moment arrives, demonic creatures (think the lovechild of Bigfoot and the Incredible Hulk) appear through the wall and batter the victim mercilessly before incinerating them.
An apocalyptic cult builds up around the phenomenon and anyone who dares question the provenance of the deadly prophecy and the creatures are persecuted. A handful of brave "infidels" question what's going on and struggle to turn public opinion against the cult.
There are a few twists along the way and lots of extreme violence.
A frustratingly enigmatic conclusion hints strongly at a second series.

Worth a look, but I didn't enjoy it as much as The Squid Game.

hb.JPG

HB2.JPG

HB3.JPG

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Anyone watch the Beatles Get Back documentary on Disney+? Somewhere between incredibly boring and suddenly springing into life and entertaining. Eight hours was a bit much, but surprised that John Lennon was the best of the Fabs as far as laughs went, I thought he'd been renamed Ron Nasty in The Rutles for a reason, but he was an unexpectedly witty man here.

But the rooftop concert was worth waiting for, if only because it made the boys look like total rebels for sticking it to The Man when the police turned up because they'd had complaints about the noise. Most of the passersby were thoroughly enjoying it, too! Even little old ladies!
I've just finished the final episode. I don't think I've ever smiled for 8 hours straight before. Whether a Beatles fan or not, you have to admire their musical creativity. Watching Paul coming up with classic tunes, one after another out of thin air shows just how good he is.
They all come across as decent people with Ringo possibly being the most patient man in the world.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Cowboy Bebop - why haven't I seen this before now?

I've watched 2 episodes of the live action Cowboy Bebop and it's disappointing, effects not great, the retro setting in the future (2071) doesn't make a lot of sense. Good chemistry vibes between the characters though.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I've just finished the final episode. I don't think I've ever smiled for 8 hours straight before. Whether a Beatles fan or not, you have to admire their musical creativity. Watching Paul coming up with classic tunes, one after another out of thin air shows just how good he is.
They all come across as decent people with Ringo possibly being the most patient man in the world.

What seems to have impressed many people is Yoko's ability to do what could charitably be described as "fuck all" for hours on end and never get restless.

But seeing Paul invent Get Back (the song) out of thin air is quite something.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Rumors are that Sebastian Stan ( Bucky Barnes The Winter Soldier ) will play Luke Skywalker in The Mandalorian 3.

Sebastian greatly looks like young Skywalker.