What TV Are You Watching?

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It hasn’t gone. As Myth said, try re-scanning your box.
It's gone for me at least. Re-tuned and got it back for one night. Next night- gone again. Along with the Smithsonian channel.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I watched another two episodes, maybe it has something after all. I had to get the back story from the anime series site though, it does explain the amount of retro stuff around.

And so the end. After 10 episodes I have a sneaking regard for it. Spike's backstory is fully revealed in episode 9 but it still lacks an ifo dump about the catastrophe on Earth. A goodish bounty hunters series. Sadly it's cancelled after one season.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The choice of episodes is rather limited these days, what with the removal of the one with nonce DJ appearances. :chuckle:

Most of the Savile ones were from the 1970s, and most of them were wiped. The problem after that is presenters not giving their permission for episodes featuring them to be repeated. The 80s ones had a big Mike Smith-shaped hole. The 1992 ones next year will miss about 15 of them because the presenter is now a high-flying TV exec and doesn't want them shown, presumably because he's embarrassed.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Most of the Savile ones were from the 1970s, and most of them were wiped. The problem after that is presenters not giving their permission for episodes featuring them to be repeated. The 80s ones had a big Mike Smith-shaped hole. The 1992 ones next year will miss about 15 of them because the presenter is now a high-flying TV exec and doesn't want them shown, presumably because he's embarrassed.
Smith died in 2014.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Adrian Woolfe (Rose)?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Smith died in 2014.

But before he died he refused to have his TOTP material repeated, he didn't sign the contract, apparently because he didn't like the way the BBC handled the Savile accusations (maybe he thought Savile was poorly treated, something like that, my memory's a bit hazy).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Adrian Woolfe (Rose)?

That's the man. I've seen one of his episodes and he looks about ten years old, wearing his dad's jacket and clutching the microphone like grim death.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I know there was often an overlap between presenters and the beginning/end of performances, but surely they could be edited.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I know there was often an overlap between presenters and the beginning/end of performances, but surely they could be edited.

Some episodes were, but BBC4 has a budget of about a fiver, and it's cheaper to not broadcast them.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm not watching 'The Main Chance' because Talking Pictures has gone (despite re-tunes and swearing at the tv).

SleepyPanda

Always sleepy, not actually a panda.
Reaction score
And so the end. After 10 episodes I have a sneaking regard for it. Spike's backstory is fully revealed in episode 9 but it still lacks an ifo dump about the catastrophe on Earth. A goodish bounty hunters series. Sadly it's cancelled after one season.

Even if you don't normally like anime, I'd still strongly recommend the original series. It's stunning, and is highly regarded as a classic for good reason.

I've only watched the trailer and a few clips of the live action, but it seems more...manic than the anime, which has a pretty sombre tone a lot of the time. Faye isn't bubbly and kick-ass like that. Spike and Jet look ok. No idea how they will pull off Radical Edward!

I've started watching Yellowjackets on Now TV (Sky package, with just the TV programmes). A girls' high school football team have been stranded in the wilderness following a plane crash in the '90s. Looks a bit Lord of the Flies, possibly a bit Lost? It moves between then and now.

Good so far. Christina Ricca and Juliette Lewis are in it as the grown-up versions of two of the survivors.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
BBC4: The Big Freeze (Winter of 1962/3)

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On Netflix, I watched a movie called “ Don’t Look Up “ billed as a scathing satire.

Meryl Steep was the president along with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Ariana Grande, and many others.

Basically a comet is going to destroy the earth and there is a chance to divert the comet, but the president does nothing because it is not good politically. and the industrial complex wants the comet to hit the earth and then mine the valuable minerals.

I did not find the movie funny at all, in fact I found it frightening and very mentally disturbing.

You realize that our planet earth is a “ sitting duck “ wanting to be destroyed.

I can’t believed I wasted my time and watched this weird movie on Christmas Eve.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I missed this one
IMG_20211225_180035.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
On Netflix, I watched a movie called “ Don’t Look Up “ billed as a scathing satire.

Meryl Steep was the president along with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Ariana Grande, and many others.

Basically a comet is going to destroy the earth and there is a chance to divert the comet, but the president does nothing because it is not good politically. and the industrial complex wants the comet to hit the earth and then mine the valuable minerals.

I did not find the movie funny at all, in fact I found it frightening and very mentally disturbing.

You realize that our planet earth is a “ sitting duck “ wanting to be destroyed.

I can’t believed I wasted my time and watched this weird movie on Christmas Eve.
There's a UK TV series like that called Black Sun. Terrifying.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

I liked it, good satirical comedy along the lines of Dr Strange love imo. 8/10.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Gosh darn it the Van Allen belt has caught fire again - only a nuclear missile launched from Seaview can save the world.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on GREAT! movie action (Freeview 41)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I say this completely sincerely: Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Christmas Fishing was just lovely. When Bob gave Paul a record of Paul's now-senile mother singing opera beautifully in her younger days, well, it must have been a bit dusty in here or something.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I say this completely sincerely: Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Christmas Fishing was just lovely. When Bob gave Paul a record of Paul's now-senile mother singing opera beautifully in her younger days, well, it must have been a bit dusty in here or something.
The accommodation must have cost a few bob but it was a great episode.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
The first two stories of the Dalgliesh boxset (Device & Desires {six episodes} and A Mind To Murder {single episode}) - pointing out the fashions/chunky computers of the time, etc...