What TV Are You Watching?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
That Joan Collins documentary on BBC2 last night was fantastic (or fabulous, I suppose I should say). Just shows you, if you hang around long enough you'll get the last word.

Dynasty was a part of it, but she also discussed Land of the Pharaohs, Heironymous Merkin ("That fucking film"), Empire of the Ants and of course, The Stud and the Bitch. The montage of all those oh-so-serious male interviewers asking her about her nude scenes was hilarious. There was something heroic about her. Recommended if you missed it, the clips were great.

She also mentioned "Doctor Spock" on Star Trek. Hooray!

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
That Joan Collins documentary on BBC2 last night was fantastic (or fabulous, I suppose I should say). Just shows you, if you hang around long enough you'll get the last word.

Dynasty was a part of it, but she also discussed Land of the Pharaohs, Heironymous Merkin ("That fucking film"), Empire of the Ants and of course, The Stud and the Bitch. The montage of all those oh-so-serious male interviewers asking her about her nude scenes was hilarious. There was something heroic about her. Recommended if you missed it, the clips were great.

She also mentioned "Doctor Spock" on Star Trek. Hooray!
It was brilliant wasn’t it. My wife and I watched it after being captivated by the first few minutes. We’d intended to watch something else. But just could’t bare to switch it off.

My wife has been a fan since she first saw her in Dynasty when she was 9. You could say that Alexis is a hero of hers. My wife also had a massive crush on John James and wrote to Jim’ll Fix It to try and meet him (John James, not Saville).

I‘ve always known she was a good looking woman, but by god she was stunning in her early 20’s. I’m guessing it was only her unwillingness to sleep with the bigwigs that kept her from being a star on the level of Marilyn Monroe.

I loved the little fact that Dynasty was know as Der Denver Clan in Germany.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
It really was brilliant, she's a proper old school movie star. They don't seem to make them like her anymore. I also liked her tales of AVOIDING the casting couch, every time she told one of those awful men where to go it was like "Yes! Good for you!" She had the last laugh. Just a pity about that first marriage, but she didn't let it hold her back, and nor should she.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I have discovered Abandoned Engineering on Yesterday. All sorts of weird places and buildings, some with quite a Fortean slant. And there’s loads of them to watch!
I record it and fast forward the talking heads trying to overdramatise everything.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
It's no worse than my typing.
So I see...

woman-at-typewriter.jpg

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
Cobra Kai.
I was never much of a fan of The Karate Kid movies. That's not to say I didn't like them. They were okay, they just weren't a big thing for me. But someone told me I had to watch Cobra Kai and I haven't regretted taking that advice. I binged it last year and binged the new series.

I'm hugely enjoying the BBC 'adaptation' of Around the World in 80 Days. It's basically an entirely different story, made more relevant to the modern age. The changes to the source annoyed me immediately. One would just occasionally like to see a faithful adaptation of a treasured story. In spite of that, in it's own right it's a rollicking good time with fun characters.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Tonight's viewing was Antiques Road Trip, University Challenge, Legends Of Tomorrow, and MODOK.

TangletwigsDeux

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The Collector is on Netflix! :omg:

One of my favourite shows ever. :)

It's about a agent for the devil who collects damned souls at the owner's moment of death.
After 600-odd years of this he asks to try to help his clients save themselves instead.
It's very dark, but with humorous elements and all sorts of sci fi/fantasy themes.

Looking forward to enjoying it all over again.
I cant find this and it sounds right up my alley, UK netflix we got I assume the snail is the same

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I cant find this and it sounds right up my alley, UK netflix we got I assume the snail is the same
I'll check in case it's actually on Prime and I'd been on the gin. it's been known. :wink2:

~ tinny music plays ~

Yup, it's Prime. Sorry! :(

It's very original. The handsome Collector, Morgan Pym, has vowed to try his best to remind his clients of the loophole which is that, per Catholic dogma (I assume, open to correction) a sinner may escape damnation if they truly repent, even shortly before their death.

Some manage this and some don't, and a few dodge the issue altogether. There are some breathtakingly chilling outcomes.
Plenty of humour too especially where Pym cannot stand some of the clients and it shows. He still has to try though.

There are other important characters such as the Devil who is played by someone different every episode. When a person useful to Pym wears out their earthly form beyond repair the Devil can provide a new one. We see him pick one out from a line-up of soulless bodies.

What I liked is that it's rather down-to-earth and even a bit gritty in places. Highly recommended!

There are extracts on YouTube that don't give much away but I wouldn't go reading about it a lot as the twists are important.

Back in the day I was so entranced I installed the Devil's ringtone that alerts Pym to his diabolical summonings and would scowl as if it was really him calling.
It was actually Techy. :chuckle:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
You've convinced me!
Collins was the epitome of glamour when I was a kid.
I always felt she was putting on the posh though. Elizabeth Hurley reminds me of her in that respect. Like they've had elocution and have to remember how to hold their jaw.

The montage of all those oh-so-serious male interviewers asking her about her nude scenes was hilarious.
That was the norm back in the day; an atmosphere of a pervasive, slightly hysterical interest in sex. Criticism of a woman's performance came down to how much flesh she showed.
Female panellists on quiz shows would be fully dressed but still routinely complimented by the host on their kittenish qualities.
This is what we - Collins included - were up against. :mad:

So yup, I'm looking forward to it. :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Loved the last Being Human. Very clever way to end it all. Thought
i'd miss Annie
and quit but I stuck it out > Very glad I did.

Last mention honest. Twigs out. Oh but Phil Davis owned.
Might had to rewatch as we love Phil Davis. A Guardian reviewer once asserted that no actor could portray 'seedy resentment' as well as Davis, possibly after his masterly portrayal of Albert Steptoe in a TV play. :chuckle:

TangletwigsDeux

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
How does sharing Prime work?
You log in as the account holder, add your card and address to the payment thing and order stuff. Dont forget to choose the right card/address combo and only do it with people you trust.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
You log in as the account holder, add your card and address to the payment thing and order stuff. Dont forget to choose the right card/address combo and only do it with people you trust.
I see, thank you.
Is there a conflict if, say, I shared it with Techy and ordered a gift for him on it? Would he receive a notification of it?

TangletwigsDeux

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Would he receive a notification of it?
If thats the email associated with the account then yes he would recieve a confirmation and possibly delivery updates. Im not sure if you can disable certain emails in settings though. Edit no you cant.
Check this box to stop receiving all Amazon email marketing communications. Note that you will still receive subscription emails you explicitly opted to receive. We will still send you messages related to your orders, listings, updates about products or services you have purchased from us, or information about your account. You will also continue to receive emails about programs you are enrolled in, such as Amazon Associates and Amazon Services.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
If thats the email associated with the account then yes he would recieve a confirmation and possibly delivery updates. Im not sure if you can disable certain emails in settings though. Edit no you cant.
Thank you!

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I see, thank you.
Is there a conflict if, say, I shared it with Techy and ordered a gift for him on it? Would he receive a notification of it?
I added my wife to my Amazon Prime account and she doesn’t see my orders and I don’t see hers.

It basically links the other parties account only so they can make use of Prime. The ordering of things stays on the other parties account.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I added my wife to my Amazon Prime account and she doesn’t see my orders and I don’t see hers.

It basically links the other parties account only so they can make use of Prime. The ordering of things stays on the other parties account.
Thank you both! I have set Techy on it. :cool:

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score

I see, thank you.

If you open the Amazon App on your phone, you can add family members from the Manage Membership page. Go into Manage my account and their is a Share with Household section.

Patrick30

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I quit watching TV. I got tired of surfing 100 channels and nothing on I wanted to watch.
Turned it on for local weather last week when we had tornado warnings. First time it had been on in months.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
You've convinced me!
Collins was the epitome of glamour when I was a kid.
I always felt she was putting on the posh though. Elizabeth Hurley reminds me of her in that respect. Like they've had elocution and have to remember how to hold their jaw.

That was the norm back in the day; an atmosphere of a pervasive, slightly hysterical interest in sex. Criticism of a woman's performance came down to how much flesh she showed.
Female panellists on quiz shows would be fully dressed but still routinely complimented by the host on their kittenish qualities.
This is what we - Collins included - were up against. :mad:

So yup, I'm looking forward to it. :)

I think people are as prurient as they ever were, it's just that now they're even more judgemental about it (assuming it's not them doing the deed. Or whatever deed they think you're doing). Joan manages to rise above it by being a class act.

As for her accent, in the doc she wonders, what's happened to my voice? Then she realises she's trying to sound American!

There was a doc about her sister Jackie a few weeks ago that I kind of wish I'd watched. I wouldn't have read one of her books, but I did like her as a personality.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This evening was Antiques Road Trip, University Challenge, Around The World In 80 Days and The Expanse.