• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What was this play!

drjbrennan

Ephemeral Spectre
1970's Play for Today or similar, about a group of friends spending a weekend at a Haunted country cottage, lots of spookiness and in the end they discover that the original inhabitants all starved to death one cold winter many years ago.
The guests are all found dead by the Police and even though the cottage is full of food and they are seated at a groaning dinner table the cause of death is starvation.

Please help me with this, I have re-traced all the MR James and Timeslips and TV Creamery of my youth but this one evades me and if there is any forum that can help it must be this one!!!

Any chance it was part of Brian Clemens Thriller series?

(Help me out here, I'm trying to find an excuse to buy the box-set - I need to be able to tell my internal bank-manager that lives depends on it.)

Spookdaddy said:
Any chance it was part of Brian Clemens Thriller series?

It's not that, I've just recently watched the whole series, and only two episodes are concerned with supernatural goings-on.

But buy it anyway :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll head over to Roobarbs Forum when time allows.
I've just noticed there are a few 'Ten year Veterans' on this thread, who is the 'Father of the Forum'?

drjbrennan said:
1970's Play for Today or similar, about a group of friends spending a weekend at a Haunted country cottage, lots of spookiness and in the end they discover that the original inhabitants all starved to death one cold winter many years ago....

I've always wanted to see this too, my mother saw it when it was aired and always maintains it was excellent.

Also it was on at Christmas time, which of course is no help.

drjbrennan said:
I've just noticed there are a few 'Ten year Veterans' on this thread, who is the 'Father of the Forum'?
Ronson8 said:
Wasn't me gove, I've had the snip. :lol:
Of the current crop, it was him, gove. Quickly followed by Ravenstone and JW.

I am but a mere stripling, having shown up not long after that, but my original and unprolific nick went wonky and fell into a wormhole, and I had to re-enlist in Mar 2002, and have remained so since.

And have frequently looked back.

Looking at the members list, of the longstanding members who still visit, Alatotep is the oldest. He or she has only posted 25 times in all those years.

Back