• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Was Your Entry To The World Of Weird?

Ronnie Jersey talked about a presence sitting on the bedroom bed is something my wife talks about over the years.

I have never doubted my wife as it seems from time to time my wife claims she feels her mother’s presence usually at unexpected times.

I am happy for my wife but, I wonder what triggers this paranormal response ?

Maybe even in her older age she still wishes she could ask for her mother’s opinion ?

Have you seen Naked Lunch?
Yes. I left out a few experiences, there have been so many in such a small amount of time that it not only seems ridiculous to the point of unbelievable, but also difficult to remember everything...but related to Naked Lunch is the phenomena of strange insects....I've seen some weird shit lately in the form of a double headed cockroach (it's butt was a head, but shaped more like a bat head, and a Siamese twin grasshopper / praying mantis. I've also seen a spider turn into a rock three different times. Super scary to think how many rocks might actually be spiders now.

I was another very young entrant. Dr Who when I was about six, was probably my entry to science fiction, and then I think I was reading ghost stories and 'spooky tales' which predisposed me to watching TV like Ace of Wands and The Tomorrow People. My mum was prone to telling stories of her youth or things she'd been told about by HER mother - so we got the tale of Sweet Fanny Adams and other Edwardian ghoulish delights. Plus I had more imagination than was good for me and an ADHD brain that wasn't discovered until much later, which made me hyperfocus on some things (which were mostly otherworldly).

I was another very young entrant. Dr Who when I was about six, was probably my entry to science fiction, and then I think I was reading ghost stories and 'spooky tales' which predisposed me to watching TV like Ace of Wands and The Tomorrow People. My mum was prone to telling stories of her youth or things she'd been told about by HER mother - so we got the tale of Sweet Fanny Adams and other Edwardian ghoulish delights. Plus I had more imagination than was good for me and an ADHD brain that wasn't discovered until much later, which made me hyperfocus on some things (which were mostly otherworldly).
Sweet Fanny Adams was local to me... :omg:

You know I'm not completely sure...I had a full on 'panic' at a remote spot on the Akortiri peninsula in the 70’s, looked into dowsing in the early 80’s and then there were interesting (classic) Fortean books in the dusty book-shop across from The Antelope, and then it was Crazy Dave's (and his matchbox radio) that kicked it fully off and we spent along time kicking around Grave’s ‘Towards a Magical Technology’ and trying to meet up in the swamp and wondering about the veracity of SSOTBME. I guess I just liked a mystery to solve, especially if I'm a bit bored...
Coal, do you mean the Akrotiri peninsula? If so I had an odd experience there in 2016

Two books I read in childhood as an avid reader set me off, then Fortean TV aired when I was about 12 which was a critical age to become acquainted with the unexplained.

I grew up in a devout catholic household although today say I am atheist, I figure if it’s OK to be believe in God it’s not a huge stretch to believe in aliens, ghosts and all manner of phenomena. This position frustrates my mother somewhat.

Despite some personal but vague spooky experiences I don’t know that I do believe in ghosts, aliens, ABCs, timeslips etc but I don’t often doubt the testimony of those who say they’ve had experiences. Either they really did see [insert phenomena] or they believe they did, which is equally interesting to me.

A6D82B35-F9D1-49CE-81BD-D1FB045CC72F.jpeg

Attachments

• 4E67E3B8-EB83-4602-A782-EEEF03FD463B.jpeg
    4E67E3B8-EB83-4602-A782-EEEF03FD463B.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 13
Two books I read in childhood as an avid reader set me off, then Fortean TV aired when I was about 12 which was a critical age to become acquainted with the unexplained.

I grew up in a devout catholic household although today say I am atheist, I figure if it’s OK to be believe in God it’s not a huge stretch to believe in aliens, ghosts and all manner of phenomena. This position frustrates my mother somewhat.

Despite some personal but vague spooky experiences I don’t know that I do believe in ghosts, aliens, ABCs, timeslips etc but I don’t often doubt the testimony of those who say they’ve had experiences. Either they really did see [insert phenomena] or they believe they did, which is equally interesting to me.

View attachment 61731
I had that 'Devon Ghosts' book back in the 90s (iirc), who wrote it please...?

There are a number of people on the board of a similar age to me (60 in March-inshallah) and some of them grew up, like me, in and around the London area judging by their posts. One of the early influences in my Fortean journey was a book called “You be the Judge”. It was a simply written book that seemed to be aimed at the young and hence was found in the school libraries of those schools teaching 11 to 16 year olds. I’m interested if anyone else has seen a copy of this book?
It touched upon many subjects of a paranormal or mysterious nature, but never in great depth and was an easy read. I constantly seemed to have one of the library copies out. Some 10 years ago I tracked down a second hand copy (again with a library stamp inside) and a sequel that, until then, I never knew existed.
The subject that influenced me the most when reading it as a kid was the moving coffins of Barbados, and I have no doubt that without that book I would never have found myself standing in the Chase Vault on Barbados in 2008; the vault where the disturbances allegedly occurred.

63E1B18C-CD9E-4C82-B96F-429A8A0D0203.jpeg

This is a rotund version of me from 2008. The vault was open and both myself and the wife ventured inside to snap some photos.

59571CCB-EEB6-4E42-9BBB-7271063C2340.jpeg

Said book which was quite an influence on me from about 11 years of age. I believe the cover photo depicts lenticular clouds somewhere over Brazil.

Edited to include a link to an earlier post of mine.
Post in thread 'Tumbling Bones? (The Chase Vault; Barbados)'
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...s-the-chase-vault-barbados.48271/post-1901968

Last edited:
I didn't think she was lying but thought there must be another explanation,
I can still remember one story at least now 50 years later, but it was only when
I moved into my first house that was haunted by a little black cat about 15 years
later that I truly believed, I am one of those that am interested and listen to what
people say about these things I tend to have to see it, though I've seen enough
in 70+ years to not dismiss anything out of hand anymore.

Back