• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What We AREN'T Being Told About Smoking

Also, I think whinging about how poor you also seems to become a British characteristic, rather like whinging about the weather. I've known people much better off than me who constantly whine about not having enough money.

And then out of the blue they suddenly announce that they're taking their kids to Disneyland. Yes, I know these types very well.

Nicotine patches, chewing gum, cold turkey. Giving up cigarettes can be tough, but there are many strategies smokers can try. Matthew Johnson wants to add another: he says he can help smokers quit by giving them another drug – psilocybin – that has been illegal for years in much of Europe and North America. And yes, he realises that sounds unconventional.

“The idea that this research sounds counterintuitive, it makes sense to me,” he tells me as we sit in his office at Johns Hopkins’ Behavioural Pharmacology Research Unit in Baltimore. ...

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150615-could-psychedelic-drugs-make-smokers-quit?ocid=twfut

George Takei ‏@GeorgeTakei 16 Feb 2013
Got any smokers among your friends or family? Pass this important message along.

BDQmQ6DCYAA9iTe.png

1,792 retweets657 likes

Retweeted

Liked

More

Reactions: Jim
What actors are actually smoking and snorting in movies

While depictions of smoking might now be banned by a lot of TV networks, puffing on a cigarette remains too cinematic for many filmmakers to resist, giving their characters instant pensiveness (just look at this year’s Oscar contender Carol, which is 95% shots of Cate Blanchett smoking while looking sultry and thoughtful).

The ‘slow smoke’ and ‘rapid pan out as character does line of cocaine’ are so ubiquitous in film they verge on being tropes, but how do films achieve the effect without a) breaking the law and b) endangering the actors’ health? Upvoted ask Jeff Butcher, a veteran prop master who has worked on drug-laden movies Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-smoking-and-snorting-in-movies-a6850921.html

I did wonder how they did the cocaine snorting shots.
I had this thought the other day when I saw a film (can't remember which one), where an actor snorts an entire line of white powder. Did they actually snort cocaine, or was it cleverly faked?
Where does the powder go, and what does it do to the lungs?

Cocaine is such a bad idea.

I used to have a friend who would snort salt in the pub as a joke. I am sure it couldn't have been good for him.

Probably not wonderful, but many bodily fluids contain salt. Probably easier for the body to absorb it than some alien substance.

I did wonder how they did the cocaine snorting shots.
I had this thought the other day when I saw a film (can't remember which one), where an actor snorts an entire line of white powder. Did they actually snort cocaine, or was it cleverly faked?
Where does the powder go, and what does it do to the lungs?

Cocaine is such a bad idea.
It's not just cocaine their snorting, even worse crystal meth and heroin are often snorted before people start pointing. Often a gateway since many people initially abhor needles. It's all bad stuff.

This is on a Breaking Bad trivia page -
When characters on the show are smoking meth, they are actually smoking sugar or rock candy but do not inhale.

Wow. Having burned sugar I wouldn't want to be inhaling the fumes.
No, you wouldn't would you?
It might be sugar or candy, but if it's being burned it's still smoke that's being given off. I would have thought that vaping devices would be used more in films and TV these days to represent actual smoking. Heck, some of them don't even contain nicotine.

Escargot said
Wow. Having burned sugar I wouldn't want to be inhaling the fumes. Especially after having to clean up the weird, crystalline black mess that really burned sugar leaves behind

hey that wasn't sugar that was my click to activate Homer Simpson hand wamers !!!!

Techy is worried about his jeans. He knows that they are in grave danger because they are ugly and I don't like them.
Also, the jeans are too big for him now he's doing so much exercise.

I,m sure they were hung up last time I saw them....
also where's my Collin Montgomerie Grey Polo ? sweetie

Outpourings of Hot Air
Published on July 28, 2016 by Paul Barnes

I’m pretty sure we’ve been down this road before. The whole formaldehyde scare – leading to the “10 times more cancer causing chemicals” headlines. That particular study (which started life in the NEJM as a letter to the editor) has been roundly debunked – not least of which because to inhale burning e-liquid, is frankly a rather dumb idea. Any researcher that believes us vapers do that on a regular basis, most definitely need to get out more.

But it seems that these budding researchers have nothing better to do than to come up with new ways to thoroughly burn e-liquid so they can tell the media that “e-cigs are bad mmmkaay?”. In this case, more research (funded by the University of California Tobacco Related Disease Research Program) at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory have added more wibble.

From the abstract:

This study quantified potentially toxic compounds in the vapor and identified key parameters affecting emissions.

Yes, by burning the liquid. Don’t these folk get it? Well, no of course they don’t. They are just looking for any outlandish excuse to bolster their ever weakening defense against what is proving to be, a safer alternative to smoking – they can’t have that now, otherwise all their funding goes away!

Let’s skip over the usual introductory stuff – the whole “vaping has grown exponentially in the United States” thing, that’s typical soundbite stuff that those in ‘public health’ like to use when informing coercing legislators. So we’ll skip straight to the heart of the matter.

Due to the growing concerns about such passive exposures, local governments and public and private institutions are increasingly restricting vaping in public spaces.

Oh wait, that’s still part of the “introduction” – nice to see these researchers are well versed in how to phrase things for policy makers to go “well this study says this, so let’s ban it”. The rest of the introduction doesn’t get better either. Although I did enjoy this snippet:

Rechargeable lithium ion batteries offer a variety of voltages and storage capacities and provide between 100 and 300 puffs per charge.

General question to my readers – in your device (whatever that is right now) could you approximate how many “puffs” you get from a fully charged cell? I’m genuinely curious! ...

http://factsdomatter.co.uk/2016/07/outpourings-hot-air/

Tobacco linked to 40 percent of US cancers
November 10, 2016 in Medicine & Health / Health

Tobacco use remains the most preventable cause of cancer, and 40 percent of diagnosed US cancer cases may have a link to its use, health authorities said Thursday.

Lung cancer, acute myeloid leukemia, and tumors of the mouth and throat, voice box, esophagus, stomach, kidney, pancreas, liver, bladder, cervix, colon and rectum are all caused by tobacco use, according the report by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"There are more than 36 million smokers in the US," said CDC director Tom Frieden in a statement.

"Sadly, nearly half could die prematurely from tobacco-related illnesses, including six million from cancer, unless we implement the programs that will help smokers quit."

The CDC Vital Signs report found that every year from 2009 to 2013, about 660,000 people in the United States were diagnosed with a cancer related to tobacco use.

About 343,000 people died each year from these cancers.

"Three in ten cancer deaths were due to cigarette smoking," said the report.

Lung cancer is the top cause of tobacco related smoking, followed by colon cancer and pancreatic cancer.

Cigarette-smoking is on the decline, down from 21 percent (45.1 million) of the US population in 2005 to 15 percent (36.5 million) in 2015.

This is the lowest point for cigarette smoking since data began to be collected in 1965.

Since 1990, about 1.3 million tobacco-related cancer deaths have been avoided, the CDC added.

© 2016 AFP

"Tobacco linked to 40 percent of US cancers" November 10, 2016 http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-11-tobacco-linked-percent-cancers.html

Is smoking more harmful than AIDS?
Wolfgang Fengler and Katharina Fenz Monday, March 27, 2017

Helmut Schmidt, the former German chancellor, was a notorious chain smoker. So much so that he was known to light up in non-smoking areas and while on live television. Yet he lived to be 96 years old, remaining an active public figure until the end and writing some 13 books after he turned 70. Did smoking, which he obviously enjoyed so much, not hurt him?

Schmidt, and others like him, feed a common belief that you can lead an unhealthy life and still live to a ripe old age. Winston Churchill, when asked about the secret of his longevity, famously quipped, “No sports, just whisky and cigars,” to the great delight of generations of bon vivants.

However, those who believe that they can safely follow Schmidt’s and Churchill’s examples make a fundamental mistake called selection bias—they are looking at a subset of people who lived a long life against the odds rather than the many others who passed away before their golden years. Since there are many more elderly people alive today than ever before in human history, you’re also more likely to find cases that enjoy longevity. You will also find elderly folks in Somalia or the Democratic Republic of Congo, but I’m sure you would agree that moving there is probably not a good idea.

Thanks to the Global Burden of Disease database developed by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), we can now calculate the statistical impact of health status and risks. Building on the demographic platform population.io, we have mapped the impact of several health variables that can be applied to every person in the world. We can estimate, on average, how many years of life a smoker will lose and how many years they would gain by avoiding the habit. And we can compare the results with (or combine them to) the outcomes of other risks or conditions, such as HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, diabetes, or hepatitis. Years of life lost or gained depend on how long you can expect to live in the first place, as well as on the quality of the health system in the country in which you live, as well as your gender. ...

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/futu...social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=global

It always left a crap taste in your mouth.

ONE in two smokers have purchased illegal tobacco in Scotland despite concerns that they can contain human excrement, a new investigation has found.

And new footage claims to show how easily undercover shoppers can purchase illicit tobacco in Scotland - which is being sold for up to one eighth of the normal shop price.

It comes in the midst of warnings that the illegal cigarettes and tobacco which can contain dead flies and human excrement could worsen with the introduction of plain packaging.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...al__tobacco_that_can_contain_human_excrement/

Vid at link

I thought smoking shit meant something else?

I thought smoking shit meant something else?
Heh. What this story illustrates is how addictive nicotine is and why, all said and done, although vaping is apparently less harmful (we'll have to wait and see on that) it might be considered to be just a way to continue to sell a substance many are addicted to, and rob them for it.

Heh. What this story illustrates is how addictive nicotine is and why, all said and done, although vaping is apparently less harmful (we'll have to wait and see on that) it might be considered to be just a way to continue to sell a substance many are addicted to, and rob them for it.

I did hear it was more addictive (or maybe AS addictive) as heroin, and the fact that people will smoke human shit in order to get their nicotine fix is... well, it's disturbing that they would debase themselves that way for something they never needed in the first place.

Back