• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What We AREN'T Being Told About Smoking

Methodists don't 'gamble' on the existence of a supreme being any more than follower of other religions do. They think they have it right.

And how many times does a "sure thing" come in?

See post#464

Ouzo is related to Raki and Arak. But be careful, Both these options are very hard on the head.

Last edited:
Sadly, we cannot tell those people off, because they're all dead. Probably shortly after the clip was recorded. (Apart from the bloke in the hat, he's still alive at 132).

Sadly, we cannot tell those people off, because they're all dead. Probably shortly after the clip was recorded. (Apart from the bloke in the hat, he's still alive at 132).

It's conceivable that the couple of chaps who looked to be in their 20s could still be with us.

If their predictions were correct...

I have never ever smoked in my life. Not one puff (parents weren't smokers and I've never liked the smell).

So I was mildly miffed to read in my hospital notes 'patient informed us that she is currently a non-smoker'. What, like I'm going to take it up now?

Haven't had a cigarette for 26 years and I still crave them once in a while, especially after a morning coffee or sometimes after an evening meal. I smoke in my dreams too. It's a hard thing to stop.

I have never ever smoked in my life. Not one puff (parents weren't smokers and I've never liked the smell).

So I was mildly miffed to read in my hospital notes 'patient informed us that she is currently a non-smoker'. What, like I'm going to take it up now?
If I'm asked about smoking I insist the questioner puts 'has never smoked' as the answer.

I was planning to take up pipe smoking at 50.

You can abstain from everything in life that we are told is bad for us, I doubt very much
you will live any longer but it sure as hell will feel like you do.

Haven't had a cigarette for 26 years and I still crave them once in a while, especially after a morning coffee or sometimes after an evening meal. I smoke in my dreams too. It's a hard thing to stop.

I grew up with a friend who now works in drugs and alcohol counselling in a well known British seaside resort (he's a very busy boy). Like a lot of people who work in that environment, he's had issues himself, and was once an experienced - although, I would say, not out of control - drug user. He still believes that - from a technical point of view - nicotine cravings are probably the most insidious and lasting of them all. Even more than booze. And both are worse than most Class A's.

You can abstain from everything in life that we are told is bad for us, I doubt very much
you will live any longer...

But at least people can sit next to you in the pub without having to wash all their clothes afterwards.

(The stink guys...the stink! When I think about the 80's and 90's one of the abiding memories is that of foul smelling clothes. And don't even get me started on smoking carriages in trains. Okay...do. Always the last carriage to have seats because they were so utterly foul that even the smokers hated them. Always full of poor non-smokers who couldn't find room anywhere else - and then had to put up with intermittent visitors who had temporarily left their nice comfortable non-smoking seat to stand in the aisle blowing clouds of shite up and down the carriage.)

Last edited:
I grew up with a friend who now works in drugs and alcohol counselling in a well known British seaside resort (he's a very busy boy). Like a lot of people who work in that environment, he's had issues himself, and was once an experienced - although, I would say, not out of control - drug user. He still believes that - from a technical point of view - nicotine cravings are probably the most insidious and lasting of them all. Even more than booze. And both are worse than most Class A's.
I'd agree.

Used to look after young offenders, some of whom were heroin addicts.

They were on methadone which only the manager could give out. Some would wake in the early hours wanting the heroin but knew they'd get the methadone at 8.

However, they'd invariably run out of cigarettes. A smoke would relieve the heroin/methadone shortage.

When I was on nights I'd be ready for them and give them a cigarette, and they'd smoke it and go back to bed.

So yes, to me the nicotine dependence seemed stronger than the heroin addiction.

If I'm asked about smoking I insist the questioner puts 'has never smoked' as the answer.

Yes, I wondered about the phrasing of it. It sounded a little as though they suspected I secretly smoked and had just stopped for the duration of my hospital stay, or that I was somehow lying about not smoking.

I was being scanned for a problem with one of my lungs, so maybe they had reason to suspect I smoked? I don't know, but when I go to my follow up visit, I'm going to ask. Nobody I was with smoked either, so it wasn't as though my clothes smelled of smoke or anything. Dog, yes, smoke, no.

Yes, I wondered about the phrasing of it. It sounded a little as though they suspected I secretly smoked and had just stopped for the duration of my hospital stay, or that I was somehow lying about not smoking.

They probably do believe you're a secret smoker.

A friend of mine had a longterm illness of which she eventually died. One of the effects was a from of liver failure that resembled the results of longterm heavy drinking, although she was a lifelong near teetotaller.

So it was galling for her to told to 'lay off the pop' or 'stay out of the pub' by consultants. They should really have known better.

As a working class woman I'm often assumed to be a smoker. I'm also apparently a Sun reader, a TOWIE etc watcher and am living with a 'partner' and not a husband. Stereotypes, doncha love'em. Nope, I'm cleverer than that.

It's that ferret in your handbag and the flat cap that confuses them.

I wonder if they've fallen for the 'novelist' stereotype; where we all sit around drinking gin and smoking Gitanes whilst dictating to our secretaries...?

If I had fallen through a wormhole from 1953, I could see how this might be the case.

Was going to point out that according to Cancer Research UK the number of smokers in Britain is currently the lowest ever recorded.

Then I thought Heh, I'm letting myself be drawn into the smoking argument again. Silly me.
Why not a nice briar wood pipe? A touch of elegant raffishness.

I'm sure I've seen a vaping thing shaped like a pipe.

Bless you, but you’ve seen pictures of me, right? l regret that “raffish” is not within my palette of aesthetic options.

maximus otter

More your style, you could probably make your own...

731d165aa35b419982f80ba3770eb1ed.jpg

Back