What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

INT21

Justified & Ancient
A cautionary tale.

I have, on the table beside me where also is the laptop, ten Lipo cells that have been taken from duff laptop batteries. The usual 18650 cells.

I periodically check the charge state of these cells.

About five minute ago (how's that for a segue) I picked one up and it was almost untoucably hot.

'Well, that's the one that killed the battery' I reasoned, and quickly took it outside.

So there you have it. The makings of 'Mystery fire destroys house' story in the local paper.

If you have Lipo cells laid about, even new ones, do occasionally check that they are not warming up.

INT21.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A cautionary tale.

I have, on the table beside me where also is the laptop, ten Lipo cells that have been taken from duff laptop batteries. The usual 18650 cells.

I periodically check the charge state of these cells.

About five minute ago (how's that for a segue) I picked one up and it was almost untoucably hot.

'Well, that's the one that killed the battery' I reasoned, and quickly took it outside.

So there you have it. The makings of 'Mystery fire destroys house' story in the local paper.

If you have Lipo cells laid about, even new ones, do occasionally check that they are not warming up.

INT21.
Don't they only go like that when air or moisture gets inside?
Maybe you accidentally punctured it?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Looked at the Christmas tree and decorations (yep, still there). Then looked on the Forum.
Our tree hasn't come down yet either .. it won't beat a personal record of me and my old flatmate keeping one up all year until the next Christmas though .. visitors were asking "Why have you got a Christmas tree up in July?" .. "Because every day's Christmas in our flat!!" .. the truth was we just couldn't be arsed to take it down.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
..Maybe you accidentally punctured it? ..

I don't think so. It has been on the table , more or less untouched for about two month. I have applied a 'storage' charge to it a couple of times. all seemed ok. No signs of physical damage.

I am very aware that these cells can be a bit dodgy. But they are in everything these days.

Just got to be careful.

INT21.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
..Maybe you accidentally punctured it? ..

I don't think so. It has been on the table , more or less untouched for about two month. I have applied a 'storage' charge to it a couple of times. all seemed ok. No signs of physical damage.

I am very aware that these cells can be a bit dodgy. But they are in everything these days.

Just got to be careful.

INT21.
This is turning into a big problem, isn't it?
These cells are everywhere.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
They sure are.

I am waiting for the reports of accidents with people trapped in an electric car and the battery pack releasing all that energy. Bearing in mind that dumpling water on it will only make things worst. And Carbon Dioxide probably won't help much either.

INT21.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
I am waiting for the reports of accidents with people trapped in an electric car and the battery pack releasing all that energy.
This worries me - if you make something fast to charge it'll almost certainly have a low output impedance. Imagine the instantaneous current out of a battery pack equivalent to 100 regular car batteries.

On the upside, we'll find out a bit more about plasma balls...

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
They sure are.

I am waiting for the reports of accidents with people trapped in an electric car and the battery pack releasing all that energy. Bearing in mind that dumpling water on it will only make things worst. And Carbon Dioxide probably won't help much either.

INT21.
Do the dumplings make it worse?

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
Our tree hasn't come down yet either .. it won't beat a personal record of me and my old flatmate keeping one up all year until the next Christmas though .. visitors were asking "Why have you got a Christmas tree up in July?" .. "Because every day's Christmas in our flat!!" .. the truth was we just couldn't be arsed to take it down.
Many years ago, walking between Greenwich and Deptford a friend pointed out some Christmas decorations in the window of a flat in the middle of summer, apparently they are always there and periodically updated. I assume the occupier is one of those people who does Christmas all year round, that you occasionally see in the media.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
Just finished watching a show called American Monsters. Episode 2 was on Mothman and the Bell Witch. Not a bad little show (it's on Amazon Prime).

Bad Bungle

Ephemeral Spectre
Occurred to me 5 minutes ago to cook all the middle-back bacon rashers I got from Morrisons (95% discounted) and put them in a tub to take to Work. I can microwave them there to make bacon butties any time I wanted (which is a lot of times).

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Sounds like a euphemism.
A bollocking is a former British Forces informal term for a telling-off. You can give a bollocking or get one or just bollock someone or be or get bollocked.
It is a vulgar expression which may imply humorous contempt for the bollocker or bollockee, depending on who's telling the story.

Here's a Wordpress page about it, including examples from our own Royal Family.
We hear Prince William tell of how he recklessly nearly killed his cousin Zara and the Queen ran out in her kilt and gave him 'the most almighty bollocking.'

Incidentally, the respectable naval term 'rowlocks' when correctly pronounced rhymes with 'bollocks' which is why Rynner stopped doing the limericks.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
A bollocking is a former British Forces informal term for a telling-off. You can give a bollocking or get one or just bollock someone or be or get bollocked.
It is a vulgar expression which may imply humorous contempt for the bollocker or bollockee, depending on who's telling the story.

Here's a Wordpress page about it, including examples from our own Royal Family.
We hear Prince William tell of how he recklessly nearly killed his cousin Zara and the Queen ran out in her kilt and gave him 'the most almighty bollocking.'

Incidentally, the respectable naval term 'rowlocks' when correctly pronounced rhymes with 'bollocks' which is why Rynner stopped doing the limericks.
I know what a bollocking is, the phrase "for coughing or summat" just tickled me a bit.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I know what a bollocking is, the phrase "for coughing or summat" just tickled me a bit.
And here's me being all explicatory.

Techy was nagging me over a cough he reckons I've had for 6 months or more. I'm supposed to have gone to the doctor about it weeks since but it honestly goes straight out of my mind the minute the convo's over.

The day of the bollocking was when I apparently coughed so hard (with a cold) that I gave my back a muscle spasm and had to creep home from work in a taxi. Techy was all Ha! TOLD you so! See! Told you! See! See! etc.