What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Less is when there is a certain amount to begin with, and some is taken away. Fewer is when a set amount is established and you have an amount that is under that...
B-b-but those two examples are exactly the same.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
Left London in a warm drizzle and took the train home. Looked out of the window after 30 mins and it was a blizzard, the platforms had 3" of snow, road traffic at a standstill. Same at next station and the next and the next. Blizzard stopped and snow thinned. Arrived at Aylesbury to half an inch of slush in the car-park ( I have a Maxi-scooter) and roads salted to within an inch of their lives. At home now in one piece, keeping my coat on until flat is warmer than outside.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Left London in a warm drizzle and took the train home. Looked out of the window after 30 mins and it was a blizzard, the platforms had 3" of snow, road traffic at a standstill. Same at next station and the next and the next. Blizzard stopped and snow thinned. Arrived at Aylesbury to half an inch of slush in the car-park ( I have a Maxi-scooter) and roads salted to within an inch of their lives. At home now in one piece, keeping my coat on until flat is warmer than outside.
We've got all that promised for 11pm tonight.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Re checking the CMOS battery connection on my BBC Master. Confirmed it already has a diode and a resistor in one of the leads.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Setting up a basic website and home page, initially just to use as an email server, but I'm planning to use it as a personal CV site.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
B-b-but those two examples are exactly the same.
No, fewer is having under a set amount and less is when you take away some of the items. I have ten items in my shopping basket, therefore fewer items than the 12 Items Or Fewer. I had one hundred dollars this morning, less petrol costs, meaning I now have less money than I did this morning.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Watching Erm's Christopher Hitchens post whilst preparing a bit of wood to bodge a repair on the wooden rail on the outside steps.

I have the place to myself and I've assembled all the stuff I need and realize once again I really don't have the proper stuff for the job.

All I need to do is go to a DIY place and get the whole bit of wood cut - but no. I can't be arsed so I'll bodge it with an offcut.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
No, fewer is having under a set amount and less is when you take away some of the items. I have ten items in my shopping basket, therefore fewer items than the 12 Items Or Fewer. I had one hundred dollars this morning, less petrol costs, meaning I now have less money than I did this morning.
But you could just as easily say you had "less items than the 12 Items or Less"!

skinny

Antediluvian
Opening the parcel that was just delivered, to find it was one of the books I ordered last week, just not the book I was expecting! But that should arrive soon!
Got mine yesterday from Amazon. Forgot it was coming, so it perked me right up when it arrived out of the blue like that. Books are special.
What did you order?