What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
escargot1 said:
ramonmercado said:
Cursing a hyngarian keyboard.
Heh, when I lived in Hungary I HATED those keyboards. I never did find the @ key and used to copy/paste it from emails. :evil:
Try finding # on a Mac keyboard......

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
CarlosTheDJ said:
escargot1 said:
ramonmercado said:
Cursing a hyngarian keyboard.
Heh, when I lived in Hungary I HATED those keyboards. I never did find the @ key and used to copy/paste it from emails. :evil:
Try finding # on a Mac keyboard......
I always make a hash of it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Heh, I once went for a stay in Poland from Hungary in the last week of March.

Looked up the weather forecast, thought 'Hmm, that must be wrong, can't still be THAT cold, it's so warm here!' and took a selection of shirts/shorts. Ended up wearing them all at the same time under a tracksuit to keep warm. :lol:

We went to Auschwitz, which had the unfriendliest and most unhelpful staff I've ever met. :evil:

Oh right, yeah, I see…

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
Furiously masturbating to the Matalan catalogue.

Actually, I was eating an obscenly huge bar of chocolate - all by myself. I'm not sure if the reality is more embarrassing than the fiction. :oops:

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Reading a PM about this thread from the OP and agreeing it belongs in Chat.

dreeness

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Researching various brands of condoms that were commercially available during World War 2.

(Because I am writing a story for someone I have never met and don't really know very well. Because she said she wanted a story for her birthday, which was July 2. She wants a second chapter now-ish. She sounds plaintive, I feel guilty. It is a fanfic based on some obscure anime that I had never really heard of before. She said that the first chapter was fine, but she would like the second chapter to have lots more sex, much more violence, and more "good lines" for her favorite characters.)

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Finishing a nice breakfast, Scrambled eggs, varied salamis, coleslaw, salad, rolls, breads, preserves, oj, coffee.

I don,t curse Hungarian breakfasts.

IamSundog

Not insane
Reaction score
Shutting off my f***ing alarm, scratching myself there, and calling my son to make sure be gets up and gets to class.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Leaving the dental clinic.

Teeth out, temporarz dentures in. Check up 2moro then back in 6 wks.

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
Just finished observing and grading 17 first ever oral presentations by my (mainly Chinese) pre-university students on cultural aspects and places of significance around Adelaide. One girl presented on the SA Museum - she put panda cartoons all over her PPT slides and described only the stuffed animals and skeletons on the ground floor. When I asked her if she looked at the various local and Pacific cultural galleries in the other 80% of the Museum, she said "there are 'borijinee' part but I am no interest about zat." :(

At the end I attempted to segue to tomorrow's lecture on the relationship between language and culture, and I asked them where they might find some reading to prepare them for the topic. They looked at me like I just took a giant shite on the carpet. Eventually one young bloke said "za intohnet?... ".

What did we ever do to deserve the Chinese? Honestly.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps as their home country is slowly civilised, the Chinese abroad will develop the wit and cultural sensitivity of young Australians overseas.

The short answer to your question is that your institution (like many) has admitted a number of foreigners who do not meet the academic or character standards usually required because they are rich and willing to pay. British Universities and Public Schools have done likewise. It's almost impossible to fail or be sent down if you're paying the vastly inflated international fees. What you describe is the inevitable consequence. If I were to have submitted an essay that fell below the required standard, I would most likely have been offered a single chance to improve it; if that essay, too, was inadequate, I would have been asked to leave the program at the end of the academic year - I'd have failed. This was once normal in reputable British Institutions before they began to market themselves. Perhaps pre-university students need not be graded so harshly, but neither should they expect to progress to a university course If they cannot shape up.

Putting revenue over standards will always end badly.

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
theyithian said:
Perhaps as their home country is slowly civilised, the Chinese abroad will develop the wit and cultural sensitivity of young Australians overseas.
:lol: Point taken.

Perhaps pre-university students need not be graded so harshly, but neither should they expect to progress to a university course If they cannot shape up.
Quite so. I still hold to the academic standard, which makes my stance increasingly fraught in the face of economically rationalist encroachment from business management.

eg
We were sent a memorandum from Administratia a few weeks back urging (warning?) us not to continue balking at the use of the term "customers" or "clients" when reference is made to international students. Perhaps that's what cultural exchange means these days.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
skinny said:
theyithian said:

Perhaps pre-university students need not be graded so harshly, but neither should they expect to progress to a university course If they cannot shape up.
Quite so. I still hold to the academic standard, which makes my stance increasingly fraught in the face of economically rationalist encroachment from business management.

eg
We were sent a memorandum from Administratia a few weeks back urging (warning?) us not to continue balking at the use of the term "customers" or "clients" when reference is made to international students. Perhaps that's what cultural exchange means these days.
When I worked in the Department of Social Welfare now (Social Protection( I had to point out to my superiors that we had clients, not customers.

Customers can take their trade elsewhere.

The businifaction of colleges is truly appalling. ITS NOT JUST ANY OTHER BUSINESS!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Five minutes\ ago I waa finishing another nice Hungarian breakfast. Had to cut the crusts off the bread though due to dental surgery.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
ramonmercado said:
The businifaction of colleges is truly appalling. ITS NOT JUST ANY OTHER BUSINESS!
It's endemic, unfortunately. Many Further Ed colleges got their fingers burned when they jumped onto the Higher Ed bandwagon a few years ago, and started offering degree courses - great, when the maniac drive to get every other 18-year-old into HE regardless of suitability, need or even (in some cases) actual ability was in full flow and still effectively free, but when the wheels fell off that particular vehicle the colleges were left with whole faculties and facilities bereft of students. It worked better in rural areas, or smaller towns, as students on sandwich courses (ie working and studying for related-vocational qualifications) could stay home and didn't have to travel so far, and the FE environment is actually a bit better suited to that than Universities, but for normal degrees they can't compete, esp when there are already two or more Unis nearby (there's four within a twenty mile radius of me, for example, and five FE colleges: something had to give.)

It is worth pointing out however that whilst many FE and HE establishments got greedy, they had been actively encouraged to do so, and then left high and dry when the tide went out.

anyway..back to what we were all doing five minutes ago..

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
skinny said:
theyithian said:
Good sport.
Sorry if the comment was excessively mordant.

Vardoger

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Made myself a cup of coffee, which I almost dropped on the floor when an actor I thought had died a couple of years ago appeared on TV news directly from a movie premiere today.

:shock:

He must have died in another dimension and now I am back in the old again.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I had the same thing today. Wilbur Smith appeared on telly earlier this evening. I thought he'd died years ago.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Finishing a double sspresso and a Jamesón.

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
That Hungarian keyboard has given you an accent, RM. :)

I just had a very short but mirthful gossip session with a colleague. Ahhh I am a bit of a bitch behind backs. Still, work day/week over. Where's m'Guinness? (Don't say Derry - I mean the 'ol plain).

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
skinny said:
That Hungarian keyboard has given you an accent, RM. :)

I just had a very short but mirthful gossip session with a colleague. Ahhh I am a bit of a bitch behind backs. Still, work day/week over. Where's m'Guinness? (Don't say Derry - I mean the 'ol plain).
Just don,t say Londonderry.

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
Built a furnace inside a chiminea. Last day of of our southern hemi winter.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
skinny said:
Built a furnace inside a chiminea. Last day of of our southern hemi winter.
Call that a Winter?

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
Not personally, no. I prefer "The Great Pretending".

... but that doesn't garner a lot of air time. Winter's winter regardless of how cold or modulate it is. Fkn glad it's over tbh.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Reading this thread and watching UFO Hunters

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Really? Is this what we've come to?
The greatest tool for gathering information and galvanising human thought and this is it?

You may as well ask what have you been doing with your life and the answer is WASTING IT.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Does this mean you dont wanna play with us ? :(

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Well... if I'm honest I think the whole Fortean game is shifting.
More and more things are being proved and disproved to the detriment of this site.
We've neglected to provide basic info on mainstream phenomena by category that people could easily navigate if arriving here for the first time.
If they attempted to use the search engine... then God help them.

Luckily the regular posters are sensible but we're covering old ground and we've mostly grown to know each other's standpoints. And they're all sadly misled but me.

But you already knew that anyway.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
jimv1 said:
We've neglected to provide basic info on mainstream phenomena by category that people could easily navigate if arriving here for the first time.
If they attempted to use the search engine... then God help them.
Are you proposing a project to summarise the state of play (with suitable caveats), perhaps with locked posts to be sticked at the top of the forum - maybe one woowoo or wildly positive and the other skeptik and wildly negative?

:yeay: That could be fun!*

* if we can avoid killing each other over the status of a, say, black dogs.... :)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
And before sitting down to this I was regarding my heucheras, sadly.