What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Finally relaxing and recovering from Xmas eve trauma.

Whether apocalyptic anxiety re that asteroid passing relatively close on Xmas day, or perhaps simply Xmas hysteria, one is still grateful to have made it home safely from Tesco.

A Daily Mirror article alerted re the developing situation:

https://www-mirror-co-uk.cdn.amppro...3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

Being inadvertently caught up in the mass struggle around closing time, one had to ponder... do these shoppers not realise Tesco is only closed for tomorrow and reopens at 6:00 a.m. on Boxing Day?

Trolleys overflowing wth Warburton loafs, elderly ladies in a frenzy to grasp that last, 'reduced item' from the delicatessen, people buying enough alcohol to host a festival...

Honestly, it was absolutely mental...!

To be repeated on New Year's eve, one suspects.

Ahhh... the simple, soothing, delight of a wee dram before retiring of a Xmas eve...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Looking at how many unwanted Christmas presents are on ebay. And marvelling at the fact that some of them were listed at 5am.
A couple of the gifts we've wrapped up are eminently suitable for cashing in if times are hard!

Anyway, i bet some of those eBay 'gifts' aren't really unwanted presents. Sellers have been known to pass off excess stock that way to unload it.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Any unwanted gifts are discreetly passed on to charity shops if suitable. Clothing, books, anything of that sort that didn't have a receipt in case of exchange or just sheer ugliness get passed on. Hampers - I've yet to receive one, thankfully, I think they're generally given to spinster aunts who are too difficult to buy for...

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Being inadvertently caught up in the mass struggle around closing time, one had to ponder... do these shoppers not realise Tesco is only closed for tomorrow and reopens at 6:00 a.m. on Boxing Day?
It is quite barbaric that our modern British Xmas consists only of one day when the shops are shut. Ex-Mrs T63 (the first one) works for one of the big supermarket chains and has very little time to spend with our grandchildren over Xmas as she is expected to work five days a week; Christmas, Easter, hell or high water.
If Charles Dickens was still alive he would be able to update A Christmas Carol and Scrooge would be the multi millionaires who run these empires.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Any unwanted gifts are discreetly passed on to charity shops if suitable. Clothing, books, anything of that sort that didn't have a receipt in case of exchange or just sheer ugliness get passed on. Hampers - I've yet to receive one, thankfully, I think they're generally given to spinster aunts who are too difficult to buy for...
I get some great hampers from contractors at work, I generally pig out on the sweets and chocolates and give out the wine etc to others as Christmas gifts. My ex wife’s sister and hubby are always impressed by a red and white from Harvey Nichols, and small batch Irish Gin or Whiskey make great gifts for some of the “connoisseurs” in the family who prefer those particular tipples.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I was chatting online with a friend about this missing man, whom we both know quite well -

Stephan Owen missing

We are appealing for help in locating a 49 year-old man who is missing from home in Old Swan.

Stephan (correct) Owen, was last seen in Stoneycroft Crescent at around 4pm on Thursday 5th December.

He is described as a white male, 5ft 9in tall, of medium build with short brown hair. He speaks with a Liverpool accent.

When he was last seen he was wearing a grey tracksuit.

Anyone who has seen Stephan or knows of his whereabouts is asked to DM @MerPolCC, call 101 or contact @missingpeople on 116 000.
Stephan is a top bloke. My mate and I both work for him now and then and we always enjoy the experience. He is friendly and intelligent with a wicked wit.
Must admit, I'm not hopeful of a good outcome here.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I was chatting online with a friend about this missing man, whom we both know quite well -

Stephan Owen missing

Stephan is a top bloke. My mate and I both work for him now and then and we always enjoy the experience. He is friendly and intelligent with a wicked wit.
I hope he turns up OK.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Stephan Owen missing

I hope this has a happy ending for all concerned.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
I do that, I don't drink, nor is there a step into the living room...

Are we feeble?

Oh yes! I think we must be. I shall certainly be referring to myself as that, from now on... complete with dramatic hand across my eyes in a fainting-type manner.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Me and Mrs T63 came to the end of two episodes of Haunted Hunts on Amazon Prime. Must be the most honest ghost hunting programme on TV as absolutely Jack Shit happened over both episodes and when the team got scared they buggered off home.
But most honest also means most tedious. I doubt we will be watching any other episodes.

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
Woke up thinking about my friends I drank with regularly in Korea 99-01. Mostly Brits, Scots and Kiwis. We endured one young seppo from Kansas whose cherry got proper popped by the perpetual neon psychedelia and by how he got so much damn pussy merely by dint of being born with flaxen hair and sea-green eyes. Kid was off his trolley. Used to set off fire extinguishers every so often that our entire party was thrown out of wherever we brang tha noize. Man. Pissy beer and rain, yoggi-yo!, sa-meul-nori, always an incursion into unlocked property during the long walk home Aftertaxi o'clock (midnight was when the ajoshi stopped lifting waegook-in), just to have a look around as a cheap thrill, mind. Surfacing on the bathroom floor with blood on my hands that appeared not to be mine and a fiance wailing at me to wake up to meself. Sure she should've seen the finger painting on the wall there. 20 years hence.

Someday soon ....

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Mr Zebra is playing music videos on YouTube on our freesat box whilst I'm on 'ere. He'd put a few Roxette ones on for me and is now playing Boomtown Rats, but the auto play after each one plays another Roxette unless he stops it. As the latest Boomtown Rat one was ending I asked him if he was letting it auto play a Roxette one and he said yes.

Without looking up from the computer I asked him 'what one do you think it will be' and he said "Hmm... Dressed For Success."

That's quite random I thought, but then to my utter surprise what started playing? None other than Dressed For Success.

After smiling at my shocked face for a few moments Mr Zebra admitted he'd pressed the button which shows what video is coming up next so it wasn't an example of precognition.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Opening the doors and windows of the house to let the cool air brought by the Southerly Change in and the hot air out - it's lovely and cool now, rather than the 43 degrees C it was earlier today.