What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
When painting/glueing/gardening/whatever I wear an old fleecy sweatshirt. It's too paint-spattered to go out in so when I'm wearing it, I'm home and I'm staying in.

Only problem is that the sleeves are baggy and they droop down over my hands. As I like my forearms bare I'm always pulling the sleeves up.

Today, after owning it for 15 years or more, it occurred to me install ribbed cuffs on it. Durr!
Took me minutes and the sweatshirt is now ten times better. Perfect, in fact. The sleeves stay exactly halfway up my forearms, just where I like them.
Here's to another 15 years! It'll probably outlast me.

(The rib fabric was quite expensive. I bought it to renovate my favourite garment which is a 20-odd year-old Puma sweatshirt. One of the first gifts Techy ever gave me. The oldies used to say that if a girl accepted clothing from a man she she should be prepared to marry him!)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Researching the Jerusalem Artichoke, having bought a bag of the buggers, for the first time in years.
My flatulence was quite spectacular, raising the covers at intervals, for several hours afterwards!

I enjoyed eating them at the time but I fear that the uneaten remainder are destined for the bin. :oops:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Five minutes ago, as I've been doing all day, is cursing this wretched heatwave! 46C! If anyone lives in cold regions, can I live there instead of here?
That makes two of us. We only hit 42C today though the forecast max was 40. I said to someone at 8.30 this morning when it was already 33C to look on the bright side, at least it wasn't going to get much hotter, only another 7 degrees.
I cannot wait for this summer to be over.

Bringing the garbage down to the basement. I see we have new cleaners - Ramon Hygiene! Recently the lift maintenance company changed or maybe it's just a name change. Anyway I'm not reassured, they're called The Honest Elevator Company.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Bringing the garbage down to the basement. I see we have new cleaners - Ramon Hygiene! Recently the lift maintenance company changed or maybe it's just a name change. Anyway I'm not reassured, they're called The Honest Elevator Company.
They probably are honest - 'it's f*cked and we can't fix it, sorry'.

INT21

Antediluvian
Pondering.

On Cavendish street, Keighley, there is a new place opening (Hurrah), It is called 'Hop on Worth'. Described as a 'Micro Pub and Gin bar'.

I thought the days of Gin Palaces went out years ago.

What the hell is going on in our society ?

INT21

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Pondering.

On Cavendish street, Keighley, there is a new place opening (Hurrah), It is called 'Hop on Worth'. Described as a 'Micro Pub and Gin bar'.

INT21
Speciality gin/bathtub gin is the new 'in-thing' at the moment.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Pondering.

INT21
Micropubs are great - they're all about keeping it simple. Gin is currently a very fashionable drink so it fits right in there.
It's all about the quality of drinks rather than the quantity, enjoying the ambience, not waking up next morning with a bad head or a fat lip.

INT21

Antediluvian
There seems to be almost as many variation of Gin these days as there are wines.

Wasn't it once called 'Mother's Ruin' ?

I can't even stand the smell of it after a rather unfortunate gin related experience years ago.

INT21

Antediluvian
enjoying the ambience, not waking up next morning with a bad head or a fat lip.
You did say you live close to Manchester, didn't you ?

Always thought if a Mancunian didn't come home a black eye and bust knuckles he (she ?) considered a wasted evening.

;)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
There seems to be almost as many variation of Gin these days as there are wines.

Wasn't it once called 'Mother's Ruin' ?

I can't even stand the smell of it after a rather unfortunate gin related experience years ago.
Gin has a fascinating history. 'Mother's Ruin', 'Gin Lane/Beer Street', Gin Palaces, gin and a hot bath ooer, gin and tonic prescribed in the farer-flung areas of the Empire to prevent malaria, and so on.