What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I think we must have reached Peak Gin, to be honest. Some English distillers have been honest enough to admit that it's a quick-and-easy spirit to manufacture, pending their entry into markets for more mature spirits, previously dominated by the Scots and Irish . . . :oops:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Pondering.

On Cavendish street, Keighley, there is a new place opening (Hurrah), It is called 'Hop on Worth'. Described as a 'Micro Pub and Gin bar'.

I thought the days of Gin Palaces went out years ago.

What the hell is going on in our society ?

INT21
There's a pub called The Gin Palace in Dublin, I've never had a gin there though, mostly Guinness. I don't think they have very many types of gin

A good place in Dublin for gins is The Blacksheep in Capel Street, also good for Craft and imported beers.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I hope that is the classic bottled Guinness ?

Non of yer tinned stuff.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Only tried draft once, it (to me) has a slightly over-creamy texture, rather like the cans.

I don't drink these days, except in very hot weather, then it's bottled Guinness. It has a slightly sharper taste I prefer.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Only tried draft once, it (to me) has a slightly over-creamy texture, rather like the cans.

I don't drink these days, except in very hot weather, then it's bottled Guinness. It has a slightly sharper taste I prefer.
Don't drink much myself either these days. Two pints is usually enough.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think we must have reached Peak Gin, to be honest. Some English distillers have been honest enough to admit that it's a quick-and-easy spirit to manufacture, pending their entry into markets for more mature spirits, previously dominated by the Scots and Irish . . . :oops:
That must explain the influx of new gins I see each time we go to the liquor store. Aussie gins seem to be multiplying at an alarming rate and some are exceptional. My wife and I still prefer Tanqueray 10 as our tipple of choice.
A guy I know has a wonderful business in Sydney combining a barbershop and gin bar with over 700 types of gins Take a look:
https://thisisthebarbershop.com/

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
In the eyes of Swifty, we must both seem a couple of wimps.

:)
A 70cl bottle of vodka a day, sometimes more when I was at my worst, not that I'm proud of that .. at those levels it's potentially too dangerous to suddenly stop drinking because people have had seizures and died trying it ... it's drink 2 units less every 2 days until you're completely sober.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A 70cl bottle of vodka a day, sometimes more when I was at my worst, not that I'm proud of that .. at those levels it's potentially too dangerous to suddenly stop drinking because people have had seizures and died trying it ... it's drink 2 units less every 2 days until you're completely sober.
The danger of stopping drinking abruptly wasn't something I'd heard of until Amy Whitehouse's death. It's not like giving up smoking.
I've never had to give up either so I'm nor speaking from personal experience.

Swifty

Reaction score
The danger of stopping drinking abruptly wasn't something I'd heard of until Amy Whitehouse's death. It's not like giving up smoking.
I've never had to give up either so I'm nor speaking from personal experience.
I hadn't heard of it either until a good personal friend learned that I was going to try it and got his Son to phone me to say "Dad's told me to call you Swifty, he says it's dangerous to suddenly stop drinking so don't do it m8" .. so I didn't .. I'm baffled that this information isn't more widely publicised, my guess is that less aware medical professionals are assuming it will give piss heads yet another excuse to keep drinking? ..

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
We've just finished watching a film we recorded; Personal Affair, starring Glynis Johns and also Megs Jenkins, who pops up occasionally in old films we watch.

At one point we thought we saw a teenage Nanette Newman; I've just checked IMDB and indeed it was. Must be the earliest film we've seen her in :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of it either until a good personal friend learned that I was going to try it and got his Son to phone me to say "Dad's told me to call you Swifty, he says it's dangerous to suddenly stop drinking so don't do it m8" .. so I didn't .. I'm baffled that this information isn't more widely publicised, my guess is that less aware medical professionals are assuming it will give piss heads yet another excuse to keep drinking? ..
Maybe it's the sort of info you don't need until you have help try to stop boozing? Or is it that only really heavy drinkers are in danger? I dunno.

Swifty

Reaction score
Maybe it's the sort of info you don't need until you have help try to stop boozing? Or is it that only really heavy drinkers are in danger? I dunno.
All the 'tricks of the trade' I learned from asking other heavy drinkers or google search .. or youtube .. or my ex flatmate's Mum who was an ex substance abuse nurse. My own doctors were pretty useless and I had conflicting advice. I can't repeat her advice here because it was about which black market medications to use. The only one I'm able to safely mention on this site is rehydration sachets, normally sold in packs of five in pharmacies but even they are regulated to tell you not to use them long term. They're marketed at people who need to rehydrate because of diarrhoea but even people depending on those are using them as another excuse to stop drinking in the end so not addressing the real problem.

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
That must explain the influx of new gins I see each time we go to the liquor store. Aussie gins seem to be multiplying at an alarming rate and some are exceptional. My wife and I still prefer Tanqueray 10 as our tipple of choice.
A guy I know has a wonderful business in Sydney combining a barbershop and gin bar with over 700 types of gins Take a look:
https://thisisthebarbershop.com/
Yeah it's great now. I often try a newie but love me Bombay. The teacher's gin.

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
A 70cl bottle of vodka a day, sometimes more when I was at my worst, not that I'm proud of that .. .
I was drinking a 750ml bottle of rum or bourbon in a sitting ten years ago or less.

Just got out of hospital with a cracked sternum and my car is totalled. Wrapped it around a tree Sunday night. Could use some of those black market opiates, but got some scripts for strong stuff. No booze tho. Not to mix them. Doc's orders. sigh

Swifty

Reaction score
I was drinking a 750ml bottle of rum or bourbon in a sitting ten years ago or less.

Just got out of hospital with a cracked sternum and my car is totalled. Wrapped it around a tree Sunday night. Could use some of those black market opiates, but got some scripts for strong stuff. No booze tho. Not to mix them. Doc's orders. sigh
Good luck bruv X

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah it's great now. I often try a newie but love me Bombay. The teacher's gin.
If you've not tried it already, Archie Rose (Distiller's strength) is right up there with the best.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Just back from a walk along my local nature trail. Saw a pair of Goosanders, a couple of buzzards and quite a few magpies (a few years ago there weren't any around here, now we're tripping over the buggers). Looks like I'll have to dig out the camera and start exercising my photography muscles again.

anros

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
I downloaded the budget spreadsheet to track my income vs spending. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and have edited to better suit my needs as I go adding more/less functionality.

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Bloody hell - speedy recovery. How'd it happen?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

Wow! Glad it wasn't more serious. Hope you're on the mend.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

You be careful there! Blimey.
Get fixed up soon.