What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Zebra,

Conjunctivitis.

I have a number of trees around the garden. Six big hardwoods and another six conifers (the dreaded Cupressus leylandai) plus a tall monkey puzzle in the front garden. Oh yes, and a holly.

I had two trees removed over the last five years, but it costs £400 a time. Because there isn't much room between the trees and the buildings, they have to be cut down in sections. Involves a man on a rope with a chain saw.

INT21.

Hope it gets better soon.

And hope you don't have to cut down too many trees... I hate seeing trees cut down.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Scaring myself watching the Chills youtube channel ghost footage videos as it's so windy outside. Perfect viewing for a dark and stormy night .. if you can get over his voice ..

Crikey I just spotted the face on the screenshot of the video... that freaked me out enough. Dare I watch the rest?

Only from underneath a blanket, close to Mr Zebra and the dogs methinks...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Crikey I just spotted the face on the screenshot of the video... that freaked me out enough. Dare I watch the rest?

Only from underneath a blanket, close to Mr Zebra and the dogs methinks...
I'm fairly certain that one's fake and a poor crude remake CGI imitation of this one posted 12 years ago ..

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Scaring myself watching the Chills youtube channel ghost footage videos as it's so windy outside. Perfect viewing for a dark and stormy night .. if you can get over his voice ..

Some good ones here. I'll be sharing this one about.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Likewise.

I intend to have the trees heavily pruned (pollarded ?) so they will carry on growing.

The timber needs to be stored for use as hardwood, the small stuff will go in the stove.
Take care!

Swifty

Reaction score
Some good ones here. I'll be sharing this one about.
Cool .. he's got a couple of hundred 'real' ghost compilation videos up like that one, I just posted that one as an example. Just enter 'Chills' on youtube.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score

Well Mr Zebra and I did watch the video last night.... and I must say we were left quite unimpressed actually. None of them seemed that interesting or real to be honest. (To us, anyway). And his voice was extremely annoying!

Maybe that makes us sound cynical; but I guess in this day-and-age we know it's all too easy for things to be faked.

There is some good stuff online, but for us this particular one didn't make the grade. :)

Swifty

Reaction score
Well Mr Zebra and I did watch the video last night.... and I must say we were left quite unimpressed actually. None of them seemed that interesting or real to be honest. (To us, anyway). And his voice was extremely annoying!

Maybe that makes us sound cynical; but I guess in this day-and-age we know it's all too easy for things to be faked.

There is some good stuff online, but for us this particular one didn't make the grade. :)
Sorry you didn't enjoy .. and he's recently done a video addressing that everyone keeps asking him why his voice is so annoying online.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Sorry you didn't enjoy .. and he's recently done a video addressing that everyone keeps asking him why his voice is so annoying online.
Not so much didn't enjoy... it was entertaining in its own way... but just disappointing in that it didn't really deliver (for us) what it promised to deliver, you know?

We've just had a quick look at his video about his voice... thanks for that... didn't have time to watch the whole thing but strangely enough when the video first starts he sounds a bit more 'listenable' (is that a word?) but when he gets into the bit about why he talks like that he seems to switch more into that mode. Guess its just how he sounds when he reads something out. *shrugs*

Swifty

Reaction score
Not so much didn't enjoy... it was entertaining in its own way... but just disappointing in that it didn't really deliver (for us) what it promised to deliver, you know?

We've just had a quick look at his video about his voice... thanks for that... didn't have time to watch the whole thing but strangely enough when the video first starts he sounds a bit more 'listenable' (is that a word?) but when he gets into the bit about why he talks like that he seems to switch more into that mode. Guess its just how he sounds when he reads something out. *shrugs*
Me and Mytho have talked about his voice in the past and I think you're right, it's when he's doing commentaries. He says in his vid that no one ever teased him at school about it and he was a school speaker .. the first complaints he's had are since he's got online .. weird. Perhaps all his mates sound like drongos as well?.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Me and Mytho have talked about his voice in the past and I think you're right, it's when he's doing commentaries. He says in his vid that no one ever teased him at school about it and he was a school speaker .. the first complaints he's had are since he's got online .. weird. Perhaps all his mates sound like drongos as well?.
We need to do some sort of poll I think... find out on 'ere how many people:
(a) like his voice
(b) don't mind either way
(c) want to rub a cheese grater across their knuckles whenever they hear him

It might be a regional thing... perhaps people who are from wherever-exactly-Chills-is-from don't mind him as much?

There are always voices / accents that people like/dislike. I know I have my favourites/least favourites at any rate.

Swifty

Reaction score
There are always voices / accents that people like/dislike. I know I have my favourites/least favourites at any rate.
Nice voices? .. I remember when we were at school we all fancied the Cadburys caramel bunny because she had a hot voice .. it was a nationwide thing until it was in the newspapers that the voiceover actress was actually Miriam Margoyles, Grotbags from Emu's Pink Windmill Show..

abuuny.png

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
I never knew she was that voice!
At the time, because half the UK's men (boys and Dads) fancied the cartoon rabbit because of that voice? .. we never spoke of it again, sort of like admitting to your mates you really fancy some woman and then one of them whispering to you "Mate! she's a man"

edit: I've just thought of a fun experiment all women posters here can try with a partner of the correct age to remember .. ask him if he remembers the Cadbury's Caramel rabbit?. If he suddenly looks awkward and goes quiet, he remembers 'that which no man must ever talk of to each other about again' .. if he cheerfully smiles and says "Yeah?" with a twinkle in his eye, watch the fear and confusion spread across his face as you break the news .. it was a bigger shocker than hearing Susan Boyle sing that song the first time ..

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Nice voices? .. I remember when we were at school we all fancied the Cadburys caramel bunny because she had a hot voice .. it was a nationwide thing until it was in the newspapers that the voiceover actress was actually Miriam Margoyles, Grotbags from Emu's Pink Windmill Show..

View attachment 23284

She nearly ran me down some years ago as she came tearing around a corner in a Range Rover. I was crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing. Being that she's about 4 foot tall, she could barely see over the dashboard. Fortunately, I saw her before she saw me and moved quickly out of her way. She spotted me at the last second, gave me a quick wave and an apologetic smile and continued barreling up the road.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
At the time, because half the UK's men (boys and Dads) fancied the cartoon rabbit because of that voice? .. we never spoke of it again, sort of like admitting to your mates you really fancy some woman and then one of them whispering to you "Mate! she's a man"

edit: I've just thought of a fun experiment all women posters here can try with a partner of the correct age to remember .. ask him if he remembers the Cadbury's Caramel rabbit?. If he suddenly looks awkward and goes quiet, he remembers 'that which no man must ever talk of to each other about again' .. if he cheerfully smiles and says "Yeah?" with a twinkle in his eye, watch the fear and confusion spread across his face as you break the news .. it was a bigger shocker than hearing Susan Boyle sing that song the first time ..
Mr Zebra says that it was a, quote "hot rabbit".

He also does not care who did the voice (now that I've told him who it was, he didn't previously know), because, and again quote, "the rabbit still looks hot".

:)

(Personally I just liked the cartoon animals and the chocolate! I was too young to understand anything other than that about it.)

Swifty

Reaction score
She nearly ran me down some years ago as she came tearing around a corner in a Range Rover. I was crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing. Being that she's about 4 foot tall, she could barely see over the dashboard. Fortunately, I saw her before she saw me and moved quickly out of her way. She spotted me at the last second, gave me a quick wave and an apologetic smile and continued barreling up the road.
It would have been an ironic death 'RABBIT DRIVING CAR RUNS OVER MAN'.

Swifty

Reaction score
Mr Zebra says that it was a, quote "hot rabbit".

He also does not care who did the voice (now that I've told him who it was, he didn't previously know), because, and again quote, "the rabbit still looks hot".

:)

(Personally I just liked the cartoon animals and the chocolate! I was too young to understand anything other than that about it.)
Your husband's smooth :cool:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Ooh I missed the bit about Grotbags (reading fail on my part, I was thinking only of the cadbury bunny) ... but I'm struggling to think of what that is (Mr Zebra doesn't know it either).

Emu's Pink Windmill? I must take mineself to YouTube...

... and ah yes! We remember it now, vaguely!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
No worries, Someone else will be swinging from a rope with the chainsaw.

But that was the first job I had after leaving school (age 14). working for a timber yard. I do have chainsaws, but only used with feet firmly on ground.
George Bernard Shaw was pruning a tree when he fell out of it, that finished him, he was 94.

Given our recent discussions about longevity I thought you should keep that in mind!

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Checking tracking of an Amazon item we ordered yesterday morning which is supposed to be delivered today (we ordered two separate things yesterday, only one has arrived so far).

We ordered it in the morning. It was dispatched at about 2:30pm yesterday from Peterborough.

The latest update on the tracking page is "Package arrived at an Amazon facility" in Bardon Hill. I didn't know where that was, so I looked it up on a map:

1581866582518.png

Hmmm. It hasn't travelled a great distance in the last 25 hours then. And it still has a much bigger distance to go, apparently before 9 o'clock tonight. I'm having my doubts.

EDIT: It is no longer arriving today and will likely be Tuesday instead. :mad:

Last edited:

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
George Bernard Shaw was pruning a tree when he fell out of it, that finished him, he was 94.

Given our recent discussions about longevity I thought you should keep that in mind!
The lesson being if you are past seventy, use two safety lines'.

It could be a complicated job. May need to dismantle a shed or two to avoid a catastrophic meeting of shed and tree.

I suppose GB Shaw would have been happy to go in that manner. Better than in a care home.

INT21.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Today should be a gym day, but l really can’t be arsed.

5 minutes ago l was staring out of the window at annoyingly bright sunshine, wishing that the rain the BBC are promising would make its appearance.

Still no sign...

maximus otter

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Today should be a gym day, but l really can’t be arsed.

5 minutes ago l was staring out of the window at annoyingly bright sunshine, wishing that the rain the BBC are promising would make its appearance.

Still no sign...

maximus otter
I'm staring out at the rain and wishing I'd gone out when the sun was shining!