What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

INT21

Antediluvian
Examining an RF signal generator I bought many years ago.

As I am going to dispose of most of my computing gear and moving back to Short Wave Listening (my first love) I will need to get all my test gear up and running.

I shall treat computing simply as a tool and not as an interest any more.

Do any of you feel the same way about today's computing ?

INT21

Antediluvian
Pretty much how I feel these days.

I can still write any short special programs I may need. Buy there are so many applications out there these days it is hardly worth the effort.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Returning home after some grocery shopping. Shelves still bare of toilet paper, hand sanitiser, and the like. Despite being told repeatedly not to stockpile and there's enough for everyone, some complete swearword is either hoarding everything they can get their hands on, or selling the stuff on the blackmarket.

When I rule the world, these people will be dealt with very harshly indeed...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Returning home after some grocery shopping. Shelves still bare of toilet paper, hand sanitiser, and the like. Despite being told repeatedly not to stockpile and there's enough for everyone, some complete swearword is either hoarding everything they can get their hands on, or selling the stuff on the blackmarket.

When I rule the world, these people will be dealt with very harshly indeed...
Relish the schadenfreude when they're taken ill and possibly die or suffer permanent lung damage.

Here's a tip: start moisturising your hands now. You'll thank me in a couple of weeks when you're rubbing them together in glee as all the spivs and hoarders start dying off.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Relish the schadenfreude when they're taken ill and possibly die or suffer permanent lung damage.

Here's a tip: start moisturising your hands now. You'll thank me in a couple of weeks when you're rubbing them together in glee as all the spivs and hoarders start dying off.
I like the way you think....

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Going through the Talking Pictures TV channel on the tv guide and setting what films we want to record in the upcoming week.

Quite a lucrative week, we've got:
1 John Gregson
2 Richard Attenborough
1 Herbert Lom
1 Kenneth More
3 Jack Hawkins
1 Margaret Rutherford
1 Richard Beckinsale
1 Jack Warner
1 David McCallum

'Danger UXB' is also on, but I don't think I could bear to watch it. Tried an episode months and months ago, and some chap was diffusing a bomb in a garden and suddenly... well, he wasn't diffusing it anymore *shudders*

Aaand I've just realised what UXB means.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
You don't know what 'diffusing' means though! ;)
Awww, heck! I must hang my head in shame from the horror of my grammatical mistake. :boh:

Right. Let me try again.

Diffuse can be used as a verb meaning "to spread out" or an adjective meaning "spread out" or "not concentrated."
The chap on the program was certainly diffused whilst attempting to defuse the bomb.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Watching Sunday Night at the London Palladium and realising what a handsome devil Russ Conway was. I thought he was a cheesy Liberace type, but he was very dashing. Also wincing at how cigarette-based David Nixon's act was - he was a chainsmoker and died early because of it.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
In certain shots, he resembles Cary Grant!

He was following in the footsteps of Winifred Atwell, from Trinidad, who is also said to have sold 20 million records. She was classically-trained and recorded the Grieg concerto, though audiences preferred her muscular boogie-woogie. The Youtube file is very tubby-sounding but I recognize the Ted Heath contribution to this powerhouse of a track! A bit of New Moon sneaks in - one of those quotations contemporary audiences would have picked up. This is a far better transfer. There is an obvious stumble at the start but, in 1951, Decca were still setting down sides on wax. The rest of the take was quite something so it passed!

Then there was Mrs (Gladys) Mills!

mrs_mills_albums-17.jpg :clap:

Here she is with Morcambe and Wise.

Can we start a cult for the three of them and help off-load half the weight of charity-shop browser-boxes? When times allow!

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Russ was even more impressive for playing his intricate melodies with less than ten fingers.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Watching Sunday Night at the London Palladium and realising what a handsome devil Russ Conway was. I thought he was a cheesy Liberace type, but he was very dashing. Also wincing at how cigarette-based David Nixon's act was - he was a chainsmoker and died early because of it.
That was a thing back then. I can remember seeing an American act on a TV variety show in the early '70s where the performer was smoking throughout. (It might even have been David Nixon's own show, come to think of it. Can remember thinking 'Not ANOTHER smoking act!')
This was when the huge aggressive anti-smoking campaigns were taking off and even as a young teenager I could tell the act was dated and crass.

He blew smoke into a balloon, tied it off and attached it to a piece of scenery, then went off some distance and threw a playing card at it and popped it. The audience didn't respond and he said something like 'Seems I'm the only one who thought that was a awesome shot!' to get applause.

Maybe that act went down well in those little cabaret clubs you see in American fillums and TV shoes, where everyone was smoking so the performer looked like he was wittily summoning magic out out what was already there, but it went down badly on UK national TV.