What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
That was a thing back then. I can remember seeing an American act on a TV variety show in the early '70s where the performer was smoking throughout. (It might even have been David Nixon's own show, come to think of it. Can remember thinking 'Not ANOTHER smoking act!')
This was when the huge aggressive anti-smoking campaigns were taking off and even as a young teenager I could tell the act was dated and crass.

He blew smoke into a balloon, tied it off and attached it to a piece of scenery, then went off some distance and threw a playing card at it and popped it. The audience didn't respond and he said something like 'Seems I'm the only one who thought that was a awesome shot!' to get applause.

Maybe that act went down well in those little cabaret clubs you see in American fillums and TV shoes, where everyone was smoking so the performer looked like he was wittily summoning magic out out what was already there, but it went down badly on UK national TV.
There was also the bubble magic practitioner Tom Noddy, too - a brilliant, highly-skilled act, but reliant on smoking all the way through it to use the smoke as part of his props. I think he's still going, but don't know if he still uses the smoke.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
There was also the bubble magic practitioner Tom Noddy, too - a brilliant, highly-skilled act, but reliant on smoking all the way through it to use the smoke as part of his props. I think he's still going, but don't know if he still uses the smoke.
Saw him a few years ago, very entertaining. Pretty sure that at the time he said he used fake cigarettes which just provided the smoke.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I do believe that was the same bloke.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I found 6 small cans of baked beans that are 3 months out of date.
It's worth me testing them to see if they're OK.
Tinned food doesn't go out of date.
Anyway, today I was rooting through the kitchen cupboards and found a can with no label. What the actual? I have an inkling that it's custard but I dunno.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Anyway, today I was rooting through the kitchen cupboards and found a can with no label. What the actual? I have an inkling that it's custard but I dunno.
Yeah, I had a tin of soup the other day - which was a month past its sell by date. It was OK.

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Having trouble sleeping tonight. Most likely because I've spent most of the day dozing trying to get rid of the heavy cold/ mild flu that I've had (I don't have the Covid symptoms, thankfully).

Have been making a mental list of all the things I could read/ watch over the next week or so to keep me occupied.;

Some old favourites I could re-read; The Dice Man, Siddhartha, Rod Stewart's autobiography (which is genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever read), the stack of 1980s Avengers comics that I've never been able to bring myself to part with (for anyone who knows their old comics, it's the Stern/Buscema/Palmer run).

TV/Films; Spinal Tap, some really weird Doctor Who like Planet of the Daleks, that series called tbe Planets that was on a few months ago.

Might even dig out some Fortean reading material, maybe the Most Haunted House in England by Harry Price or the Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomena.

Also thinking of, for the first time in decades, writing letters to people- not emails, proper old paper and ink letters. I can use the one period of exercise to nip out to the post box, assuming I have enough stamps.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
I've just found a gift to my present self from my past self! I've only ever bought small bottles of hand sanitizer and one was always kept with doggy poo bags for obvious reasons. well that was used up a few days ago. Then I remembered that I may have put one in the 'train journey' handbag which I last used about 8 years ago when I moved house.

Found the bag and lo and behold not only was there a 3/4 full bottle but something even more important

Yep you've guessed it ...

A LOO ROLL!!!

Oh joy in abundance!

I now recall taking a last look in the bathroom as I was saying 'goodbye' to the house and spotting the roll and thinking 'sod it, seems petty but it's only just started I'm having that' and putting it in the bag!

Sollywos x

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I was rooting through the kitchen cupboards and found a can with no label. What the actual?
Reminds me of our frugal life in the seventies. My father worked for a fruit import business in Liverpool. From time to time there were perks, such as fresh pineapples and satsumas - the new brand of tangerines! Mainly, we got unlabelled cans, which were a lottery - especially when they were opened on a Cornish beach for our lunch.

These days, I would prefer prunes to tinned peaches or pears! :dunno:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
They reckon tinned veges/pulses last about 6 years, I'd easily put another 4- 5 on that. It's sweet or fishy stuff that degrades the quickest.

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Really? Please tell us more.
There's a whole chapter on parenting tips, where he gives us a list of handy hints of ways to entertain, embarrass or annoy your children (who he refers to as 'offspring').

The ultimate sign of a good book: even the index is entertaining to read, containing entries for "oral sex: Rod advised against", "empty seats, fear of", "hotels, bad behaviour in", and "nose".

He also addresses that rumour about him having to have his stomach pumped after spending an evening with some sailors...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
They reckon tinned veges/pulses last about 6 years, I'd easily put another 4- 5 on that. It's sweet or fishy stuff that degrades the quickest.
Yup, haven't decades-old expedition food caches been found, with tinned items still edible?
The main problem with the fantastically successful early canning industry was that nobody invented a safe efficient opener for some time. You needed a hammer and chisel arrangement.

Heh, we're back to Three Men In A Boat.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
You can learn to use the one on your Swiss Army Knife.

(Hint; it works in the opposite direction to the one in the old Army rat packs, or the american P 40).

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Yup, haven't decades-old expedition food caches been found, with tinned items still edible?
The main problem with the fantastically successful early canning industry was that nobody invented a safe efficient opener for some time. You needed a hammer and chisel arrangement.

Heh, we're back to Three Men In A Boat.
Not all early canning was successful just ask John Franklin. https://www.historytoday.com/archive/canned-food-sealed-icemens-fate.

As I said here before watching Pacific Islander mums open any can in seconds with a carving knife is something to behold.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Oh flip yeah, the Franklin expedition. I have a book somewhere with a photo of the body of poor John Torrington, dug up from his icy grave after 130 years. It was a big story at the time.

That article is from 1987 and since then the lead poisoning theory has come and gone in favour. Other ships' crews didn't get it and the bodies that were exhumed were of only a few of the crew of 129. The last few ended up stranded and resorted to cannibalism. It's all very interesting and tragic.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
You can learn to use the one on your Swiss Army Knife.

(Hint; it works in the opposite direction to the one in the old Army rat packs, or the american P 40).

P-38, or - less commonly - the larger P-51.

The P-40 was a fighter aircraft. l suppose it could be used to open a tin, but it’s awkward to carry around.

maximus otter